The 223rd Merseyside Derby: 27/09/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be crafty. Go there and let them have the ball. Theyre gash at breaking down teams unless they are countering with pace with Sterling and Co. Let them have it and hit them on the break.

We have cracking forwards who can terrorise their defence. We should pose them more problems than the other way around, we can break teams down by working the ball with possession play or countering with pace through our forwards and wingbacks. There's no reason we can't go there and have their kegs down, its long overdue.

No Saurez. They pose little threat this season if you don't overstretch yourself and get caught out on the counter.

Its weird, I think if we went there with a more reserved game plan (ie Moyes) then attacked with the fluidity of Martinez's style we would bum them to high heaven.

We need to find that solidity at the back of recent years and we will have them. They've been dross this season defensively and going forward, for all our faults at the back this term we have been brilliant going forward.

Be crafty. Go there and let them have the ball. Theyre gash at breaking down teams unless they are countering with pace with Sterling and Co. Let them have it and hit them on the break.

We have cracking forwards who can terrorise their defence. We should pose them more problems than the other way around, we can break teams down by working the ball with possession play or countering with pace through our forwards and wingbacks. There's no reason we can't go there and have their kegs down, its long overdue.

No Saurez. They pose little threat this season if you don't overstretch yourself and get caught out on the counter.

Its weird, I think if we went there with a more reserved game plan (ie Moyes) then attacked with the fluidity of Martinez's style we would bum them to high heaven.

We need to find that solidity at the back of recent years and we will have them. They've been dross this season defensively and going forward, for all our faults at the back this term we have been brilliant going forward.

Agree totally mate, we need to do them on the counter, keep it tight then hit with pace, would love atsu for this one, think with his pace he would give us that outlet with mirallas on the opposite flank.

My only concern is with barkley out will martinez see Naismiths lack of pace as a reason not to play this tactic?

them vs west ham is gonna be very interesting as allardyce will have no problem at all at 'spoiling' i wonder if gerrard will have to move position eventually..

it's just made the way villa can go there with a plan and get a result and we just flap it

Villa dont concede early set pieces which throw your game plan out the window. They also dont send half fit back fours out with full backs who charge up against at the time what was the best counter attacking unit in the league.

I'd love us to play a McCarthy-Besic-Barry midfield and just leave Mirallas-Lukaku-Atsu/McGeady upfront and just stick all 3 of them on their defence. They'd run riot with Atsu/McGeady, Naismith and Eto'o to come off the bench aswell

Agree totally mate, we need to do them on the counter, keep it tight then hit with pace, would love atsu for this one, think with his pace he would give us that outlet with mirallas on the opposite flank.

My only concern is with barkley out will martinez see Naismiths lack of pace as a reason not to play this tactic?

Maybe, we could play 4-3-3 to compensate, or play Kev just off Lukaku like we saw in the Goodison derby last season.

I'd love us to play a McCarthy-Besic-Barry midfield and just leave Mirallas-Lukaku-Atsu/McGeady upfront and just stick all 3 of them on their defence. They'd run riot with Atsu/McGeady, Naismith and Eto'o to come off the bench aswell

With Barkley missing this is the way I'd go. I think they'll go with 3 in the middle as they'll be concerned about being over-ran in there. If they go with just Henderson and Gerrard then we can definitely get them on the counter. Their full backs like to push up and Henderson and Gerrard don't protect their back 4 (that's why England kept getting done vs Italy).

I expect big games from Mirallas and Lukaku in a big win

Status
Not open for further replies.