Striker Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got 18 months left on his contract and the indications are that he has no intention of signing a new one. If he wants to stay in the Premier League United won't have a lot of choice in the matter unless they're willing to let him leave for nothing.

Rooney is a world class player and he'll still have a lot to give even at 32. At the moment he earns £15.6m per year and he'll want a pay rise and a big signing on fee wherever he goes next, especially if it's as a free transfer. Our total wage bill is £63.4m (75% of turnover). So we spend £21.1m on all other costs. There is no way on earth that we could afford him at present and, even if we could, it would create such a disparity with the other players (if Baines accepts a new deal he will be our top earner on £3.9m per year) that it would cause massive friction. In his golden years Rooney might be willing to accept token payment to play for us, having already earned a substantial fortune.

Gazza was possibly heavy-drinking at Rangers and Middlesborough. When Fergie suggested that Rooney was not as fit as he could be it would quite likely be just a matter of a couple of extra pounds. I'm sure that Wayne will be capable of playing on beyond the age of 35.

Mate i think you misunderstood me, im not for a minute suggesting that we will sign him, what im stating is that at 32 he wont improve us simple as, as for saying he will be playing beyond the 35, i just dont see it, its a rarity and dont let scholes and giggs fool you into thinking its the norm, rooney even to his biggest fan doesn't leave the lifestyle that would tend to suggest that he will be preserved past 32 at current standards or close to it

I am quite aware that unless something truly bizzare happened then he will not play for us again, im also aware that he wont get a pay rise over what he is getting at united even should he move to chelsea mate, a big signing bonus he will get but no one will top what united currently are paying him.

Its all schoolboy fairytale type thinking anyways, I dont see martinez as anything other than having a clear plan and personally for the cost of trying to get rooney we could do so so much more even if we had it available (which we dont)

Mate i think you misunderstood me, im not for a minute suggesting that we will sign him, what im stating is that at 32 he wont improve us simple as, as for saying he will be playing beyond the 35, i just dont see it, its a rarity and dont let scholes and giggs fool you into thinking its the norm, rooney even to his biggest fan doesn't leave the lifestyle that would tend to suggest that he will be preserved past 32 at current standards or close to it

I am quite aware that unless something truly bizzare happened then he will not play for us again, im also aware that he wont get a pay rise over what he is getting at united even should he move to chelsea mate, a big signing bonus he will get but no one will top what united currently are paying him.

Its all schoolboy fairytale type thinking anyways, I dont see martinez as anything other than having a clear plan and personally for the cost of trying to get rooney we could do so so much more even if we had it available (which we dont)

On the one hand I think Rooney is quite greedy/ambitious but on the other hand Everton means a huge amount to him and he left the club when he was just 19. I don't think it's feasible for him to play for us at the peak of his powers but I think he would like to play for us while he's still able to contribute.

Gareth Barry is 32 now (as is Osman) and he's been awesome for us. Of course it helps to have McCarthy alongside him to do the running.

In 4 years time, when Rooney is 32, Barkley will still only be 24 (McCarthy is 23 at the moment). Wayne might not have the legs at that point but his brain will still be as quick.

Chelsea have signed a 32 year old striker this year (Eto'o). Henry was playing for Barca at 32. Berbatov (32) scored as many as Ba, Lambert and Lampard last season. Grant Holt scored more goals than Dzeko and Balotelli at the age of 32. Louis Saha was the last player that we had in the top 10 goalscorers (aged 32). Drogba scored 29 goals for Chelsea in 2009-10 aged 32. The season before that Anelka was approaching his 32nd birthday when he topped the goalscoring charts.

On the one hand I think Rooney is quite greedy/ambitious but on the other hand Everton means a huge amount to him and he left the club when he was just 19. I don't think it's feasible for him to play for us at the peak of his powers but I think he would like to play for us while he's still able to contribute.

Gareth Barry is 32 now (as is Osman) and he's been awesome for us. Of course it helps to have McCarthy alongside him to do the running.

In 4 years time, when Rooney is 32, Barkley will still only be 24 (McCarthy is 23 at the moment). Wayne might not have the legs at that point but his brain will still be as quick.

Chelsea have signed a 32 year old striker this year (Eto'o). Henry was playing for Barca at 32. Berbatov (32) scored as many as Ba, Lambert and Lampard last season. Grant Holt scored more goals than Dzeko and Balotelli at the age of 32. Louis Saha was the last player that we had in the top 10 goalscorers (aged 32). Drogba scored 29 goals for Chelsea in 2009-10 aged 32. The season before that Anelka was approaching his 32nd birthday when he topped the goalscoring charts.

All fair points mate, i guess that its just in the end my own opinion that a Rooney at 32 will not be better and most likely worse than what we will already have in the team by then, in large part due to my view that he will not age well past the age of 30-31, i could link a lot of top players to counter your ones who after 30 nosedived in ability also mate

In the end time will tell on it and im sure theirs a few twists and turns left in his career along the way

When Rooney is 32 I don't know if even a guy who will still command high wages and might be injury prone by then would be a good idea for a club like ours. He'd have to drop his demands to like 60-75K and a % of jersey sales.

Plus Osman and Barry don't have anywhere close to the amt of miles that Rooney will have at 32. Eto would be a similar comparison anf he's off to the MLS for a reason.

Last edited:

sorry to bring this up in here but it is kinda linked, if man u dont get cl this year or next year they will be in so much financial turmoil that they will be the next porto selling all there players for blockbuster ex dvd prices.

thinking more along the line of that new belgium kid they signed and hernandez

sorry to bring this up in here but it is kinda linked, if man u dont get cl this year or next year they will be in so much financial turmoil that they will be the next porto selling all there players for blockbuster ex dvd prices.

thinking more along the line of that new belgium kid they signed and hernandez

Disagree entirely mate, Man Utd are too much of a corporate machine to go into meltdown without a couple of seasons without CL. See for example Liverpool and times it by 10.

All fair points mate, i guess that its just in the end my own opinion that a Rooney at 32 will not be better and most likely worse than what we will already have in the team by then, in large part due to my view that he will not age well past the age of 30-31, i could link a lot of top players to counter your ones who after 30 nosedived in ability also mate

In the end time will tell on it and im sure theirs a few twists and turns left in his career along the way

Maybe we're being spoiled a bit by having Lukaku at the moment? If we were to buy a striker then we probably wouldn't break our transfer record. What does £15m get you? Osvaldo or Carroll. Relative unknowns such as Kovak (£7m), Cornelius (£7.5m), Van Ginkel (£9m), Aspas (£9m) and Van Wolfswinkel (£8.5m) cost in the region of what we paid for Andy Johnson, who remains our second most expensive ever striker behind Yakubu.

Rooney will still be in demand by the top clubs when he's 32 and it will be a major coup if we can sign him. There is no way that in a couple of years time he will become a second-rate player not worthy of a starting place at Everton.

We signed Gazza when he was 33. His career nose-dived when he left Lazio and living in two of the hardest-drinking areas of the country probably didn't help. Didn't he say that he was pretty much still pissed on a couple of occasions when he played for us? And he was still the best player on the pitch quite often.

Rooney is pretty much carrying United (and possibly England) by himself at the moment. He's not another Gazza.

Maybe we're being spoiled a bit by having Lukaku at the moment? If we were to buy a striker then we probably wouldn't break our transfer record. What does £15m get you? Osvaldo or Carroll. Relative unknowns such as Kovak (£7m), Cornelius (£7.5m), Van Ginkel (£9m), Aspas (£9m) and Van Wolfswinkel (£8.5m) cost in the region of what we paid for Andy Johnson, who remains our second most expensive ever striker behind Yakubu.

Rooney will still be in demand by the top clubs when he's 32 and it will be a major coup if we can sign him. There is no way that in a couple of years time he will become a second-rate player not worthy of a starting place at Everton.

We signed Gazza when he was 33. His career nose-dived when he left Lazio and living in two of the hardest-drinking areas of the country probably didn't help. Didn't he say that he was pretty much still pissed on a couple of occasions when he played for us? And he was still the best player on the pitch quite often.

Rooney is pretty much carrying United (and possibly England) by himself at the moment. He's not another Gazza.

Thing is mate, we have been spilt by having lukaku, after the dross weve put up with on and off since the sharpie, lineker and gray era, a few exceptions ofc but by and large we've lacked a really top forward for the majority of that period, assuming lukaku is not a posibility (it frankly looks that way), then the thing we have to hope for is to find the next lukaku, benteke etc, not gonna say michu as he was an anomally at that price, theirs a really good belgium kid i linked during the sumer from their under 21's, think he actually post my linking him has had a really top season and been linked by a fair few others now, thats the type we need, someone whose not gonna break the bank and whose valuation skyrockets after he joins.

Saying its what we need is the easy part though, as every club in the country are wanting to find that player type, thats where the real challenge lies for martinez now, improving on the few holes we have in the permanent squad, the wing one with dele extending a loan for another year and IF we came for de bruyne would leave me happy, leaving only the replacement for lukaku to sort out in the summer... Maybe roberto is thinking with champions league then he will attract the quality he desires for that, maybe he's waiting for the right one to come around, time will show

When Rooney is 32 I don't know if even a guy who will still command high wages and might be injury prone by then would be a good idea for a club like ours. He'd have to drop his demands to like 60-75K and a % of jersey sales.

Plus Osman and Barry don't have anywhere close to the amt of miles that Rooney will have at 32. Eto would be a similar comparison anf he's off to the MLS for a reason.

Rooney is apparently worth £45m. His current salary (including bonuses) is £11.3m per year. According to the Mail United want him to take a cut on his basic £250k per week salary. Chelsea remain admirers and are one of the few clubs who could match his current terms.

If Rooney could earn £1m per month at one of the world's glamour clubs, playing in the CL, competing for the title and with top-class international teammates why would he take a massive pay cut to come and play for us?

Rooney is apparently worth £45m. His current salary (including bonuses) is £11.3m per year. According to the Mail United want him to take a cut on his basic £250k per week salary. Chelsea remain admirers and are one of the few clubs who could match his current terms.

If Rooney could earn £1m per month at one of the world's glamour clubs, playing in the CL, competing for the title and with top-class international teammates why would he take a massive pay cut to come and play for us?

If it were me, and I'd earned more money than I could ever spend, then I'd want a crack with my boyhood club.

But that's just me. I can certainly understand why he'd maximise his earnings; it's a job after all. Thing with Rooney is that I always had the impression that he loves playing football first and earning money second. The Man Utd move he couldn't turn around, but he's had the crack of the whip there and done all there is to do - coming back to his boyhood club and leading the charge towards the big time must have some allure.

Thing is mate, we have been spilt by having lukaku, after the dross weve put up with on and off since the sharpie, lineker and gray era, a few exceptions ofc but by and large we've lacked a really top forward for the majority of that period, assuming lukaku is not a posibility (it frankly looks that way), then the thing we have to hope for is to find the next lukaku, benteke etc, not gonna say michu as he was an anomally at that price, theirs a really good belgium kid i linked during the sumer from their under 21's, think he actually post my linking him has had a really top season and been linked by a fair few others now, thats the type we need, someone whose not gonna break the bank and whose valuation skyrockets after he joins.

Saying its what we need is the easy part though, as every club in the country are wanting to find that player type, thats where the real challenge lies for martinez now, improving on the few holes we have in the permanent squad, the wing one with dele extending a loan for another year and IF we came for de bruyne would leave me happy, leaving only the replacement for lukaku to sort out in the summer... Maybe roberto is thinking with champions league then he will attract the quality he desires for that, maybe he's waiting for the right one to come around, time will show

In 4 years time do you think that there would be no way into our team for Rooney if we signed a Belgian U21 striker? Even if that lad became the next Lukaku, Benteke or De Bruyne we'd still need back up for him.

If it were me, and I'd earned more money than I could ever spend, then I'd want a crack with my boyhood club.

But that's just me. I can certainly understand why he'd maximise his earnings; it's a job after all. Thing with Rooney is that I always had the impression that he loves playing football first and earning money second. The Man Utd move he couldn't turn around, but he's had the crack of the whip there and done all there is to do - coming back to his boyhood club and leading the charge towards the big time must have some allure.

He's won the Premier League 5 times, the League Cup twice, the Champions League and the Club World Cup. He is at the peak of his powers now though and I'd imagine that he must feel as if he has another Champions League in him and a few more titles.

Beckham was 32 when he left Real Madrid for a new adventure in America and many people thought that he'd gone too soon.

If a billionaire bought us tomorrow I'm sure that Rooney would love nothing more than being part of a star-studded Everton team. As it stands though he would be giving up on the possibility of competing at the very top of the game and fulfilling his potential of being one of England's greatest ever players.

We've got some very good players but no one quite on his wavelength. He reportedly asked United to buy Ozil. That is the sort of player who he should be playing with at this stage of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.