Striker Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berbatov's a decent shout as he'd come very cheap and has undoubted quality. Think he gets more flack than he should because of his style, and i can imagine that playing a lone furrow upfront for Fulham every week doesn't exactly get the juices flowing

He's lazier than yakubu and jo combined

I'd imagine that Rooney will go to Chelsea. If he does rejoin us I can't see it being until the twilight of his career.

Then he will never rejoin us mate, its obvious that IF rooney where ever to rejoin us then this is the time for both to do so, earlier we simply where not good enough and united where too attractive a proposition to leave, and later then it will be the reverse and the team will be to good for a faded rooney, atm we have the team that wouldnt be carried by a rooney but would instead compliment him and see him produce his best and turn us into a genuine title contender for the remainder of his top level playing days, sad that its unlikely to happen but thats life

Then he will never rejoin us mate, its obvious that IF rooney where ever to rejoin us then this is the time for both to do so, earlier we simply where not good enough and united where too attractive a proposition to leave, and later then it will be the reverse and the team will be to good for a faded rooney, atm we have the team that wouldnt be carried by a rooney but would instead compliment him and see him produce his best and turn us into a genuine title contender for the remainder of his top level playing days, sad that its unlikely to happen but thats life

Rooney has just turned 28. He's in his prime. He needs to be playing CL football every season and to be surrounded by some of the world's best players. Plus we couldn't afford him.

If United cash in during the summer, when he has 12 months left on his contract, he could spend 4 years at Chelsea and then look to join us on a bosman when he's 32 (while he still has something to give) to see out his career.

He's probably too good for United as things stand because they're not matching his ambition. He needs to be at a club competing right at the top of the game. We wouldn't turn down having him for nothing when he's 32 either.

.....whoever it is has to fit RMs team model and I don't think Berbatov does. By the look of things he likes pace and power (Koni/Lukaku), so I don't think a poacher type would also be his ideal.

.....whoever it is has to fit RMs team model and I don't think Berbatov does. By the look of things he likes pace and power (Koni/Lukaku), so I don't think a poacher type would also be his ideal.

I agree with you.. in a couple interviews on the OS, Roberto has used the term "complete forward" or "complete striker" in describing both Kone and Lukaku. I think that is pretty indicative of what he looks for in a player up front. He prefers players with pace, strength, and good technical ability to lead the line. He doesn't seem to keen on a player who is solely an in-the-box finisher... like say Jelavic. That's also why I have a hard time believing the latest rumors linking us with Finnbogason. He just doesn't seem to fit the mould of a Martinez striker.

Last edited:
My first choice would be Jelle Vossen from Genk.
His scoring record over the last few years is very impressive (at all levels)
He is young, tall, strong and Belgian - just like Lukaku!
We apparently watched him before but have never made a bid. Middlesbro bid £4m for him in the summer but were turned down but I estimate a bid of between £6-8m would get him.
Buying English players is a lot more costly so looking abroad seems the safer and more savvy choice.
If we can't get him we should look at one or more from this list -
Edin Dzeko, Jermain Defoe, Philip Hosiner, Graziano Pelle, Dario
Cvitanich, Alfred Finnbogason, Filip Djordjevic, Luc Castaignos, Dusan Tadic,
Kevin Volland, John Guidetti and Demba Ba

Maybe we should just get a different loan striker every season. Most of the strikers we've signed in recent years have had somewhere between 1/2 and 1 good season with us, (Beattie, Johnson, Saha, Yakubu, Jelavic), it almost doesn't seem worth investing in a long term contract for a striker when you look at that record.

And the big-spending clubs can't wait to make their marquee signing of 2 seasons ago redundant/obsolete with each new transfer window, seems like a perfect system... until of course those big-spending clubs start looking at us as a threat to their league position

Rooney has just turned 28. He's in his prime. He needs to be playing CL football every season and to be surrounded by some of the world's best players. Plus we couldn't afford him.

If United cash in during the summer, when he has 12 months left on his contract, he could spend 4 years at Chelsea and then look to join us on a bosman when he's 32 (while he still has something to give) to see out his career.

He's probably too good for United as things stand because they're not matching his ambition. He needs to be at a club competing right at the top of the game. We wouldn't turn down having him for nothing when he's 32 either.

Currently and for the last season before this he's played for a utd side that not even their biggest fan would say surrounded him with world class talent, also the chances of him playing champs league look slim to nowt next year at man utd.
United won't on the back of not qualifying for the champs league sell him to chelsea as it'd be putting them in the role of arsenal to man u of recent years and practically an admission their no longer competing at the same table as them mate.
Theirs also the serious possibility that chelsea themselves wont qualify top 4 as this leagues the most unpredictable it has ever been and most open also.
The fact of him joining us at 32 and us having him i no longer think are clear cut, martinez is building something special here, something based upon a resurgent attitude towards youth, with Rooneys lifestyle and not looking after himself the best he will age faster than a lot also, at the age of 32 theirs a huge likelihood that at that age and with martinez improving the sqaud a 32 yo rooney wont offer us anything besides a ginola or gascoigne like signing, and we are far from that everton that did those deals now

My first choice would be Jelle Vossen from Genk.
His scoring record over the last few years is very impressive (at all levels)
He is young, tall, strong and Belgian - just like Lukaku!
We apparently watched him before but have never made a bid. Middlesbro bid £4m for him in the summer but were turned down but I estimate a bid of between £6-8m would get him.
Buying English players is a lot more costly so looking abroad seems the safer and more savvy choice.
If we can't get him we should look at one or more from this list -
Edin Dzeko, Jermain Defoe, Philip Hosiner, Graziano Pelle, Dario
Cvitanich, Alfred Finnbogason, Filip Djordjevic, Luc Castaignos, Dusan Tadic,
Kevin Volland, John Guidetti and Demba Ba

5'11''. Wouldn't say tall, but he is an interesting player. Defo worth a go.

Currently and for the last season before this he's played for a utd side that not even their biggest fan would say surrounded him with world class talent, also the chances of him playing champs league look slim to nowt next year at man utd.
United won't on the back of not qualifying for the champs league sell him to chelsea as it'd be putting them in the role of arsenal to man u of recent years and practically an admission their no longer competing at the same table as them mate.
Theirs also the serious possibility that chelsea themselves wont qualify top 4 as this leagues the most unpredictable it has ever been and most open also.
The fact of him joining us at 32 and us having him i no longer think are clear cut, martinez is building something special here, something based upon a resurgent attitude towards youth, with Rooneys lifestyle and not looking after himself the best he will age faster than a lot also, at the age of 32 theirs a huge likelihood that at that age and with martinez improving the sqaud a 32 yo rooney wont offer us anything besides a ginola or gascoigne like signing, and we are far from that everton that did those deals now

He's got 18 months left on his contract and the indications are that he has no intention of signing a new one. If he wants to stay in the Premier League United won't have a lot of choice in the matter unless they're willing to let him leave for nothing.

Rooney is a world class player and he'll still have a lot to give even at 32. At the moment he earns £15.6m per year and he'll want a pay rise and a big signing on fee wherever he goes next, especially if it's as a free transfer. Our total wage bill is £63.4m (75% of turnover). So we spend £21.1m on all other costs. There is no way on earth that we could afford him at present and, even if we could, it would create such a disparity with the other players (if Baines accepts a new deal he will be our top earner on £3.9m per year) that it would cause massive friction. In his golden years Rooney might be willing to accept token payment to play for us, having already earned a substantial fortune.

Gazza was possibly heavy-drinking at Rangers and Middlesborough. When Fergie suggested that Rooney was not as fit as he could be it would quite likely be just a matter of a couple of extra pounds. I'm sure that Wayne will be capable of playing on beyond the age of 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.