Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Would you consider a shared stadiumoid Mr K?

Yes. And on Stanley Park it'd be fitting, given both clubs originate from that old sod...the park, that is. ;) I also think the idea could easily be sold to both sets of supporters now. A big push by both clubs and the local media would do it. Of course, some people wont eat tomatoes because they're red....:oops:

Hear! Hear!

Especially if there is any real hope of becoming a host city for the World Cup bid, a shared stadium is the way forward - & quick, too!
What a tragedy it would be for Liverpool not to be a host city - the only city in England that can boast continuous top-flight football.

Can anyone give me the short version of what is ACTUALLY happening at the moment?

They were saying goodison wouldn't be able to keep its license for much longer... that was several years ago!

Yes. And on Stanley Park it'd be fitting, given both clubs originate from that old sod...the park, that is. ;) I also think the idea could easily be sold to both sets of supporters now. A big push by both clubs and the local media would do it. Of course, some people wont eat tomatoes because they're red....:oops:
Posted via Mobile Device
Fully, fully behind that mate.
And you're spot on, now is the time to strike.
Put the rivalry aside for a minute and build something for the supporters and the city to be proud of.

Posted via Mobile Device
Fully, fully behind that mate.
And you're spot on, now is the time to strike.
Put the rivalry aside for a minute and build something for the supporters and the city to be proud of.

Fondly remembers the chants of "Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside....."

Us - takeover to happen after Kirkby decision, price determined by yes/no

Liverpool - takeover in March 2010 - prob want their own place.

Is what I've read.

Retailers investing in mixed-use sports stadia face challenges | In Depth | Retail Week

Informative piece. Here's the Everton related part but the rest should also be read.

“New stadium construction projects can face a number of intertwining challenges – selecting a suitable site, obtaining planning permission, managing construction cost, and securing funding – which can make stadium strategy and execution a time-consuming process.
“In the present economic environment the ability to secure enough funding to enable construction is seen as the biggest barrier and delay to new projects. Clubs that have been able to engage a variety of stockholders that have been willing and able to contribute to the construction of a new
stadium have seen their plans come
to fruition.”

Even after funding is sourced and planning permission has been granted by local authorities, forces can still intervene and make the development seem like a pipe dream – as Everton is all too aware.
The Merseyside club has been working with Tesco to leave rundown ground Goodison Park and move to a new stadium in Kirkby. However, a public inquiry by the government has left the club and retailer in limbo.
Everton head of public relations Ian Ross says: “We just don’t know what’s going to happen now. If it’s good news we think it will be announced at the Labour Party Conference this week. If it’s not a positive then, we will expect the worst. We’re not one of those clubs that has a billionaire owner and I just don’t know how we could do this without financial backing.
“We’ve worked hand in hand with Tesco to make this happen. It really has been a team effort. And Terry Leahy’s an Everton season ticket holder, which is nice. We are just hoping the Government’s decision goes our way, this is the only option we have.”

Ross says decison may be given next week!

Ross really shouldnt be let out in public if you ask me, as much as i have an admiration for Bill and a few others, this guy just really winds me up - how he ever got a job in media/pr is beyond me:

Ian Ross has said that unless Everton get a decision on the proposed move to Kirkby at or around the Labour Party Conference that the club will "expect the worst."

Speaking in "Retail Week" Everton's Head of Public Relations explained that Everton don't have a billionaire owner, but that it's "nice" that Sir Terry Leahy, the CEO of Tesco, is an Everton fan.

He pointed out, however, that the club expect a positive statement from the government on Kirkby at or around the time of the Labour party conference, which takes place in Brighton at the end of this month.

“We just don’t know what’s going to happen now. If it’s good news we think it will be announced at the Labour Party Conference this week. If it’s not a positive then, we will expect the worst. We’re not one of those clubs that has a billionaire owner and I just don’t know how we could do this without financial backing.

“We’ve worked hand in hand with Tesco to make this happen. It really has been a team effort. And Terry Leahy’s an Everton season ticket holder, which is nice. We are just hoping the Government’s decision goes our way, this is the only option we have.

So to summerise Ross expects Everton could poissibly hear word next week.

Last edited:

Ross really shouldnt be let out in public if you ask me, as much as i have an admiration for Bill and few others, this guy just really winds me up - how he ever got a job in media/pr is beyond me:

Ian Ross has said that unless Everton get a decision on the proposed move to Kirkby at or around the Labour Party Conference that the club will "expect the worst."

Speaking in "Retail Week" Everton's Head of Public Relations explained that Everton don't have a billionaire owner, but that it's "nice" that Sir Terry Leahy, the CEO of Tesco, is an Everton fan.

He pointed out, however, that the club expect a positive statement from the government on Kirkby at or around the time of the Labour party conference, which takes place in Brighton at the end of this month.

“We just don’t know what’s going to happen now. If it’s good news we think it will be announced at the Labour Party Conference this week. If it’s not a positive then, we will expect the worst. We’re not one of those clubs that has a billionaire owner and I just don’t know how we could do this without financial backing.

“We’ve worked hand in hand with Tesco to make this happen. It really has been a team effort. And Terry Leahy’s an Everton season ticket holder, which is nice. We are just hoping the Government’s decision goes our way, this is the only option we have.

So to summerise Ross expects Everton could poissibly hear word next week.

Ross gets paid £80K pa to respond to stories like this by repeating stuff he reads off forums. You cant help but admire that in some twisted way. :blink:

lol

You mean you dont get paid for being on here, id have a word mate! ;)

Any truth in what he says mate?

He knows as much as I do...and, for what it's worth, I've been assured by the case officer the decision is pending not already taken. We wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.