so the defence then.

Who is at fault?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This back 4 is the same as last year, when they were one of the top 3 defences in the country.

It's a bad start. It'll get better.

Last season after 11 games we had conceded 10 goals. We've conceded the same in only 3 so far. Something has to give.

We are in a weird position in regards to our CBs. If it wasn't for Distin's super human fitness he would've been replaced years ago, instead we wonder every year if this will be season he finally loses it. Then we have Jags and Alcaraz who should be solid and reliable in theory. One seems to go through phases of phenomenal form to horrific form and the other just has never settled. At the end is Stones a 20 year old player with great potential but really lacking experience. We're missing that mid 20s player who should be the bridge between Jags/Distin/Alcaraz phasing out and Stones coming in. We've been missing that player for a couple years now.

Need a centre back to challenge for Jagielka ASAP. He's not been the same since the world cup. Winston Reid at West Ham? I've also heard about this Atletico dude

Been coming for some time this.
Jags has hit a brick wall, poor decision making,lack of pace & distribution at an all time low.
He never recovered from the injury late last season, was woeful in the World Cup and has progressively got worse.
He has been outstanding for us but now needs to be taken out of the team for his and the teams good.
Bring him back in for cup games against lesser opposition.Sadly its come to this.

Got the feeling the manager is not ruthless enough when it comes to senior established players and i would say that goes for most managers.
Jags form is terrible but he is the captain and a England international the chances of Roberto dropping him for Stones is pretty much zero and Distin was probably given assurances before he signed that new contract we are just going to have to bare with this and hope things get better
the scoreline today flattered Chelsea Everton played really well and dominated for most of the game at least there is some positives in that

Got the feeling the manager is not ruthless enough when it comes to senior established players and i would say that goes for most managers.
Jags form is terrible but he is the captain and a England international the chances of Roberto dropping him for Stones is pretty much zero and Distin was probably given assurances before he signed that new contract we are just going to have to bare with this and hope things get better
the scoreline today flattered Chelsea Everton played really well and dominated for most of the game at least there is some positives in that
Plenty of positive things today, mainly going forward....definitely a one off for Chelsea 8 chances and 6 goals....buts lets be honest we gifted them 4 of the 6.
But dont think Bobby isnt strong enough with senior players...Ask Jelavic & Heitinga.
But yes big decision to be made.

It really frustrates me that on initial showing we look to have cracked our perennial lack of goals problem that seem to cost us every season, but our defence that has generally, in recent history been relatively sturdy, seems to be crumbling at the seems.

Can we not have both, a devastating attack that look like scoring every time they get forward as well as a really mean defence?

I think defensively we'll be fine. We took a few hammerings last season too.

It's just going to happen the way we play.

Once our fitness is up then we'll be much stronger however that doesn't mean that bringing in Stones for WBA wouldn't be a bad idea. We need to start giving him game-time before the Europa games start.

It really frustrates me that on initial showing we look to have cracked our perennial lack of goals problem that seem to cost us every season, but our defence that has generally, in recent history been relatively sturdy, seems to be crumbling at the seems.

Can we not have both, a devastating attack that look like scoring every time they get forward as well as a really mean defence?

You either pay out the nose for that or become tactical masters...there's rarely a middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.