Should we break up the Barry - McCarthy partnership?

Should we break up the Barry - McCarthy partnership

• Yes

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, most of the team fell short after the first 15 minutes yesterday.

I honestly don't think we were too bad mate. First 15-20 minutes in total control. Gave away a stupid pen and totally lost our shape and panicked. 2nd half just needed to keep things calm then gave away an awful 2nd and 3rd and we're left chasing the game. In between the 3 disasters there was some lovely togger. Not a vintage performance by any stretch but even an Everton side in 2nd gear should be taking 3 points from Palace and on any other day where 2-3 howlers aren't made we would have won.

I honestly don't think we were too bad mate. First 15-20 minutes in total control. Gave away a stupid pen and totally lost our shape and panicked. 2nd half just needed to keep things calm then gave away an awful 2nd and 3rd and we're left chasing the game. In between the 3 disasters there was some lovely togger. Not a vintage performance by any stretch but even an Everton side in 2nd gear should be taking 3 points from Palace and on any other day where 2-3 howlers aren't made we would have won.
I can't shake those 3 howlers from my mind. Breakdowns at the back have been all too common so far.

I'm going to take some consolation of the fact that Leicester are surprisingly handy and have a couple of players that Martinez should be watching like a hawk, Arsenal & Chelsea have undeniably improved this year and Palace have done what they do best... win at Goodison, as they have done in 4 out of 6 Premiership visits.

However, I just can't get over how badly Distin has fallen from grace, he worked wonders alongside Stones at times last season so I just don't get it, has the summer finally forced the effects of old father time on him?.... I was at the Wolfsburg game and it was a privilege watching Stones defend so well against some decent, pacy opposition, with him at CB alongside Jags I'll be less inclined to drink bleach.

What scares me most is that scoring first is no longer sufficient. Oh sure conceding first on the road is no longer the death sentence it was, but at least back in the day we had CB captains who led through equal fear and respect, Dave Watson immediately springs to mind. Without him we'd have ended up like Sheffield Wednesday, and if any other player didn't put a shift in, he'd ballock them long before Walker/Royle/Kendall/Smith ever could.

David Weir kind of the same, still doesn't get the recognition he deserves I feel.

Phil Jagielka was our best defender during our days when he WASN'T captain, it's just a shame he had to play under that negative Manc cricketer, who is really only famous for once crunching Ronaldo and apparently "turning our season around".

I think Jags is far too nice and mild-mannered to be a captain, ditto Baines. We need a captain who is a complete and utter barsteward like Roy Keane. Barry is the closest we have to meeting that description, but he's still not in the same league of barstewardy as Keane.... we need, as Brick Top describes, a NEMESIS as captain....

"A righteous infliction of retribution (on Gerrard et al) manifested by an appropriate agent personified. in this case, by a horrible kant!"

15 goals conceded in our last five home games.... that's three goals condeded every home game. It's disgraceful, and as much as I welcome the "evolved" football Martinez has brought to GP, I don't think we ever had that sort of home record under Moyes.... it's just not good enough.

I also think people are out of order for slating Howard so much, he was dynamite against Wolfsburg, easily in his top 5 games for us over eight years. McCarthy is a victim of his own success, he'll be fine, We miss Barkley.... a lot.

My concern is defence, we are relying on Stones staying fit to stay in the Premier League. Have we ever been in that situation before?

Unless we sign someone in January. I refuse to believe we'll get relegated, not even close

Only my opinion and it's not just based on this season either.

I'm not talking performances here, I'm talking a leader.

We've lacked a leader for years I mean neville as captain!?

I've never though Jagielka is a leader, ever. Not just this season.

We lack a natural leader and IMO McCarthy is exactly that. Even when things aren't going his way he always gives his all. As does Bainsey.
He is forever getting slated for being too quiet on the pitch. I love McCarthy's all-action headless chicken work ethic, but he is not a leader. I think in time, the next captain should be Coleman. He is well-liked off the pitch, evertonian through-and-through, and he is vocal and passionate enough to get in people's ears when it isn't good enough.

Only my opinion and it's not just based on this season either.

I'm not talking performances here, I'm talking a leader.

We've lacked a leader for years I mean neville as captain!?

I've never though Jagielka is a leader, ever. Not just this season.

We lack a natural leader and IMO McCarthy is exactly that. Even when things aren't going his way he always gives his all. As does Bainsey.

I know its your opinion mate, and theres nothing wrong with it - i just totally disagree.

Its funny that you and others dont see him as a leader, yet those in football do. Wasnt he captain when he played for Sheffield Utd in the premier league? Vice under Moyes then Captain. Captain under Martinez. Im sure at the world cup Gerrard spoke about the few 'captains' he had in the england squad - players who were experienced and capable of leading - and he mentioned Jagielka.

He's out of form, he knows this himself -

“I want to play in winning teams and be a big part of a winning team, so there were some aspects I needed to sort out for myself. There are periods of a career where you feel you can not do too much right. It has been a sticky four months but the players and coaching staff at Everton have been brilliant. I do not think I have been horrific but, when you look at the results I have been part of, you can throw criticism my way and it is something I have to deal with.”

He's right, he will come in for criticism. He didnt do anything wrong whatsoever against Palace but still seems to get harsh remarks.

Together with him not doing anything wrong against Palace, he also had a very competent game against Wolfsburg - who are no mugs - and yet people ignore this for some reason.

The only way Jagielka and the rest are going to start looking like the team of last season is when we get a run of wins together and confidence grows. Until then I dont think we can blame them for looking jittery when we concede goals out of mistakes like we did on Sunday.

And finally (sorry Im not having a go here), McCarthy for captain? What has he done other than run round like a lunatic (which I love by the way) that Jagielka hasnt that makes him a better captain? Isnt he about 22 years old? He was playing in the championship a short time ago wasnt he? Far too soon to be a captain of our marvelous club.

An in-form Jagielka is a fine captain and our best centre back by a country mile. Until he finds his feet again we need to persevere, however i do agree he looks more confident right now with Stones next to him.

I know its your opinion mate, and theres nothing wrong with it - i just totally disagree.

Its funny that you and others dont see him as a leader, yet those in football do. Wasnt he captain when he played for Sheffield Utd in the premier league? Vice under Moyes then Captain. Captain under Martinez. Im sure at the world cup Gerrard spoke about the few 'captains' he had in the england squad - players who were experienced and capable of leading - and he mentioned Jagielka.

He's out of form, he knows this himself -

“I want to play in winning teams and be a big part of a winning team, so there were some aspects I needed to sort out for myself. There are periods of a career where you feel you can not do too much right. It has been a sticky four months but the players and coaching staff at Everton have been brilliant. I do not think I have been horrific but, when you look at the results I have been part of, you can throw criticism my way and it is something I have to deal with.”

He's right, he will come in for criticism. He didnt do anything wrong whatsoever against Palace but still seems to get harsh remarks.

Together with him not doing anything wrong against Palace, he also had a very competent game against Wolfsburg - who are no mugs - and yet people ignore this for some reason.

The only way Jagielka and the rest are going to start looking like the team of last season is when we get a run of wins together and confidence grows. Until then I dont think we can blame them for looking jittery when we concede goals out of mistakes like we did on Sunday.

And finally (sorry Im not having a go here), McCarthy for captain? What has he done other than run round like a lunatic (which I love by the way) that Jagielka hasnt that makes him a better captain? Isnt he about 22 years old? He was playing in the championship a short time ago wasnt he? Far too soon to be a captain of our marvelous club.

An in-form Jagielka is a fine captain and our best centre back by a country mile. Until he finds his feet again we need to persevere, however i do agree he looks more confident right now with Stones next to him.
stones is our best ch, absolutely vital he gets game time and develops, it will save the club millions

Its too earky to be slating macca and bazza, but i dont like how rigid the manager appears with them, thats never a good thing, you have to be flexible no matter what the players past deeds

the pair of them need to start passing forward. Them 2 killed the game in the first 30 minutes yesterday with there backwards and sideways passing. Barry was great up until christmas since them i can count on one hand the GOOD games (not average as he usually is)

Status
Not open for further replies.