Should we break up the Barry - McCarthy partnership?

Should we break up the Barry - McCarthy partnership

• Yes

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

marty mcfly

Player Valuation: £40m
We've been weak in the middle since preseason and I think it's time to make a change.

Especially considering we have Gibson who was one of our best players under Moyes and Besic who was a class act at the World Cup.

I'm not sure who should be dropped but I definitely think its time to drop one or both.

He clearly does not trust / rate Besic, Yet.

Would like to see Gibson play, but need to be carefull with his fitness.

We've been weak in the middle since preseason and I think it's time to make a change.

Especially considering we have Gibson who was one of our best players under Moyes and Besic who was a class act at the World Cup.

I'm not sure who should be dropped but I definitely think its time to drop one or both.

I think you may get your wish tomorrow mate for starters. They have been inconsistent so far this season along with the following

Howard
Baines
Jags
Distin

So if you include Barry and McCarthy that's over half the team he's currently picking not at the races still. I would certainly be resting Barry 100% tomorrow and he may or may not stick with McCarthy or give him a breather.

I'd argue the probably isn't that were too weak at the back, more that were too commited going forward, whilst on the flip side, you've seen us hit 15 goals in 6 games, had we kept the same formula with Barry effectively playing into a 3-5-2, we'd be a lot more solid, sadly I've rarely seen it this year.

The meltdown yesterday came from two rare Howard clangers and an odd decision by the manager, other than that, the defence was okay in my opinion.

Coincidences, if you're looking for one is,

With Distin: 13 goals
Without Distin: 1 goal

They have too much to cope with this season. The CBs are playing like ale house players (yes, they played ok yesterday blah blah), and they have a void in front of them where a dynamic acm should be and are constantly exposed.

It'll need minimum Barkley back in there and realistically a better CB pairing than were capable of putting out until at least January.

I don't expect our CM partnership - whoever they be - to do anything other than struggle until that's sorted.

Not break it up but rotate more, think macca could do with a game or two out, whether its fitness or just needs a kick up the ass, hes not been at his usual stellar self.

Could always bring in a extra midfielder to make it a flat 3, especially the way the wingers are basically forwards this season, would give extra protection to the back.

Macca- gibbo- barry

Last edited:
Against Swansea I would try barry at centre back.
He has played there before and has a great football brain and then we can get gibbo or besic in alongside james

I don't think the result yesterday had anthing to do with Barry or McCarthy.

So I would say no, I wouldn't break up the pairing.

Gibson and Besic will gradually get more and more time over the coming weeks, and will have a chance to stake their claim.

The guardian had mcCarthy as our MoM.

I think the problem is Barry, I thought it at the time we signed him that it was a big risk giving him a 3 year deal.

We have too many OAPs and the way Martinez plays requires legs to get back quick due to committing so many forward.

For me it would be Besic and McCarthy with Besic playing the Barry role.

I don't think he would try Barry at CB due to not wanting to risk the little confidence Distin has plus I suspect he would be too slow. Can you imagine Barry up against Sturridge or Sterling?

Status
Not open for further replies.