Shortage of strikers could cost us, warns Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he'd scored 5 goals by now I think we'd have been alright with it mate.

At first though mate, it would have been bedlam

There could be a perfectly good striker who we didn't take a gamble on for that very reason

There's very few "sure things" out there

I mean Traore might end up being great, but maybe it would have been better getting a slighly less well known player on loan who we knew we could use right away rather than gambling on an injured "name" PLAYER?

I don't think Troare's loan was cheap, I wish we hadn't payed out so much for a 6-month loan of player who is barely fit.

At first though mate, it would have been bedlam

There could be a perfectly good striker who we didn't take a gamble on for that very reason

There's very few "sure things" out there

I mean Traore might end up being great, but maybe it would have been better getting a slighly less well known player on loan who we knew we could use right away rather than gambling on an injured "name" PLAYER?

I think you're assuming a lot mate.

Some people wouldn't have been happy signing Long, others wouldn't have minded at all.

For example, I don't mind him, but I know Goat wasn't too keen.

Assuming we're all the same doesn't sit right with me. There will always be difference of opinions on a forum.

And the whole Long doesn't have a foreign sounding name thing is just a bit silly for me.

I will concede the signing of Traore seems a bit mental!

The saner thing would have been to have kept Jelavic.

He was fit, he was on the back of 2 goals against QPR, I appreciate he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is better than somebody sat getting splinters in their arse for a month.

Lions led by donkeys is the most apt description of Everton I can think of.

Saddened to see Martinez effectively lie in January too, just to cover for Kenwright. I thought those days left with Moyes - I know he doesn't really have a choice as an employee at Everton, but he could have kept quiet instead of saying daft things like "we're stronger" when we very obviously aren't.

It was glaringly obvious we needed a fit striker and a holding midfielder, and we've been let down again at a crucial point in time. Yet the happy clappers will still applaud Bill's face at Goodison... Bah.

The saner thing would have been to have kept Jelavic.

He was fit, he was on the back of 2 goals against QPR, I appreciate he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he is better than somebody sat getting splinters in their arse for a month.

I'm so 50/50 on that mate.

Jelavic was useless, besides his 2 goals against a Championship team. And the fact he wanted out for his own World Cup chances. Add to that the decent fee we got. It really made sense to get rid.

BUT with the caveat that we actually went and got a striker. Which we did. Sort of.

Traore may turn out to be boss once he's fit

The fact we signed him when he wasn't fit and used up our last loan slot when we could have got another striker on loan for 6 months who we could use right away, seems like a waste. Especially considering we had Spurs and Liverpool to play

Saddened to see Martinez effectively lie in January too, just to cover for Kenwright. I thought those days left with Moyes - I know he doesn't really have a choice as an employee at Everton, but he could have kept quiet instead of saying daft things like "we're stronger" when we very obviously aren't.

It was glaringly obvious we needed a fit striker and a holding midfielder, and we've been let down again at a crucial point in time. Yet the happy clappers will still applaud Bill's face at Goodison... Bah.

I don't think Martinez was lying, there's obviously some cash, we've sold enough players.

Let's face it, we'd be complaining even if we had bought a striker

If we'd bought Shane Long, the usual crew on here would be falling over themselves saying what a bad signing it was

Agree completely with this, especially for 7 million when his contract was expiring.

I don't think Martinez was lying, there's obviously some cash, we've sold enough players.

Cash, yes but enough for what is the question?

4 loan players are heading back to clubs in the summer, I wait to see how far this summer war time chest will spread when we purchase our next striker? Some may argue that picking up or keeping a fit squad striker may have been better than to go through Feb with nothting at all.

We have lost to the Redmen and now Spurs within a few weeks and damaged our run on 4th, what will the next two weeks bring?

It all seems a dollar short and a day late to me.

He said he believed we'd be stronger coming out of the window, not that we were at the end of it.

I believe he just didn't have the money to react to the Oviedo and Lukaku injuries. It wasn't about lateness in the window to act, and it wasn't about him being satisfied...it was just the same deal as last year: owners and their CEO telling him they wouldn't budge on their financial plan to take more money in each window from player sales - that is now a fact of life in the affairs of this club.

It's not the manager's fault that he's trusted these cowboys in two windows to honour at least their miserly 'commitment' to allow him to spend what he brings in. However, if we go through the summer window spending only what he brings in rather than a very decent net spend alarm bells will be ringing. I'll suspect he's seen how not rocking the boat at Everton and 'overachieving' (as his predecessor did) is a decent way of bagging an elite club to move onto and he's willing to put up with the board's parsimony.

Big summer ahead for Roberto; he'd do well to demonstrate he has a huge pair if he's to continue to carry the vast majority of fans with him. Charm or no charm, not many are going to be willing to put up with another Uncle Tom like Moyes for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.