2023/24 Sean Dyche

Yeah, I never understood the style of play arguments, I think under Dyche we have played a very good style of football and ive never had an issue with the style.

I wasn’t expecting his style to be so positive. We press high, get the ball into the box, create chances, and aren’t afraid to lose possession in the process. I think this style suits Goodison much better than holding onto possession for the sake of it. Passing the ball sideways around the back just makes everyone angry.

To say there were no signs early season is incorrect.

Wolves, Fulham at home. Both games should have been won. The chances were there.
I disagree, we got beat because the team was imbalanced and susceptible to counter attacks. Let’s not try to rewrite history. He had the whole team pressing except the back 4, like a schoolboys game. There was no protection in front of the defence. In fact there was a 20-30 yard space in front of the defence. He had the back 4 so narrow that opposition fullbacks and wingers had the whole flank to themselves unchallenged, it. was literally impossible for any of our fullbacks to get out quick enough to stop crosses. He basically left the back 4 hung out to dry. He had every player inside the 6 yard box when defending corners with opposition players literally lined up along the 18 yard line unmarked, Opposition players going out to take short corners and being left to do so unmarked. There was lots of things wrong with the team earlier in the season, some down to injuries and having to play people out of position or play Maupay up front. But a lot of it was to do with Dyche and how he set up the team.

I'm never going to be his biggest fan, but, as I've said many times, in our current condition, both on and off the pitch, we're not going to attract anyone better. If he can keep us up how can anyone complain. One thing that did surprise me last night is the amount of joined up football, where we passed and moved very slickly.

You have to concede that he is doing a decent job. I still don't think that, if and when, our off field issues improve, that he will be the man to take us forward. For now though, I think he is just the job. He infuriates me at times, but, it's difficult to think that he is not effective.

I'm never going to be his biggest fan, but, as I've said many times, in our current condition, both on and off the pitch, we're not going to attract anyone better. If he can keep us up how can anyone complain. One thing that did surprise me last night is the amount of joined up football, where we passed and moved very slickly.

You have to concede that he is doing a decent job. I still don't think that, if and when, our off field issues improve, that he will be the man to take us forward. For now though, I think he is just the job. He infuriates me at times, but, it's difficult to think that he is not effective.

I'd slightly disagree in the sense I think we really struggle to play any joined up football. We did a bit late on last night against opposition who were absolutely dead on their feet.

I'm not even criticising Dyche, if anything it goes to show how well we do despite what is imo a lack of technical ability. Plus yesterday was without our first choice central midfield.

If we can add a bit more technical nous going forward we've got the makings of a pretty decent top half team.

I wasn’t expecting his style to be so positive. We press high, get the ball into the box, create chances, and aren’t afraid to lose possession in the process. I think this style suits Goodison much better than holding onto possession for the sake of it. Passing the ball sideways around the back just makes everyone angry.
This IS Everton football.

He’s made improvements and adjustments. That’s what I wanted to see, let’s see what he can do in the medium, longer term. He has some good players, admittedly a thin squad, but a very decent 13/14 or so players.

The turnaround hasn’t come from what wasn’t working early doors coming good, there have been changes in personal, tactics and quality of individual performances. The criticism and praise are both valid.
There have been some changes since the start of the season but his principles are still the same and I would argue it has all just come together and started working, including new signings and getting DCL fit.
These managers talk a lot about small margins but its true in our case, a cumulative effect of small changes have made a difference.
(Agree that criticism is valid too)

I'd slightly disagree in the sense I think we really struggle to play any joined up football. We did a bit late on last night against opposition who were absolutely dead on their feet.

I'm not even criticising Dyche, if anything it goes to show how well we do despite what is imo a lack of technical ability. Plus yesterday was without our first choice central midfield.

If we can add a bit more technical nous going forward we've got the makings of a pretty decent top half team.
We should have been after last night. 20 points = 10th spot

I disagree, we got beat because the team was imbalanced and susceptible to counter attacks. Let’s not try to rewrite history. He had the whole team pressing except the back 4, like a schoolboys game. There was no protection in front of the defence. In fact there was a 20-30 yard space in front of the defence. He had the back 4 so narrow that opposition fullbacks and wingers had the whole flank to themselves unchallenged, it. was literally impossible for any of our fullbacks to get out quick enough to stop crosses. He basically left the back 4 hung out to dry. He had every player inside the 6 yard box when defending corners with opposition players literally lined up along the 18 yard line unmarked, Opposition players going out to take short corners and being left to do so unmarked. There was lots of things wrong with the team earlier in the season, some down to injuries and having to play people out of position or play Maupay up front. But a lot of it was to do with Dyche and how he set up the team.

Im not saying it was perfect.

Im saying the signs were there. DCL coming into fitness helped shape it all together. Branthwaite coming into fitness because the late arrival back from summer, helped sure up the defence. We absolutely should have won both of our first home games. I am not saying Dyche is perfect because it drives me mad how he doesnt like to change things proactively. but there were absolutely signs of what was to come.

Im not saying it was perfect.

Im saying the signs were there. DCL coming into fitness helped shape it all together. Branthwaite coming into fitness because the late arrival back from summer, helped sure up the defence. We absolutely should have won both of our first home games. I am not saying Dyche is perfect because it drives me mad how he doesnt like to change things proactively. but there were absolutely signs of what was to come.
I disagree, he had too many players committed to pressing high up the pitch and we paid the price. Have you noticed that we are not committing so many players to pressing so high, so often now? It’s made us much harder to play through and gives our backline cover. He made the adjustments because they were needed and consequently we have started winning games.

I was encouraged by the Man Utd performance, we played some very nice football, held onto possession well for long periods of the game. Pickford and the 2 centre halfs played the ball out from the back more often, consequently Pickford punted the ball long less often. And I thought we looked better for it. It’ll be interesting to see if we continue in this vein when we get our midfield back to fitness, I hope this is the case.

I disagree, he had too many players committed to pressing high up the pitch and we paid the price. Have you noticed that we are not committing so many players to pressing so high, so often now? It’s made us much harder to play through and gives our backline cover. He made the adjustments because they were needed and consequently we have started winning games.
I don't really agree pal, which is fine we can disagree! I firmly believe the signs were there and DCL/Branthwaite have made a huge, huge impact to the spin of the team. Im sure adjuments have helped, but the signs were 100% there that we were capable of scoring goals and winning games.

If it wasn't for this point deduction I'd have no doubt we'd not be anywhere near that battle come March.

I don't really agree pal, which is fine we can disagree! I firmly believe the signs were there and DCL/Branthwaite have made a huge, huge impact to the spin of the team. Im sure adjuments have helped, but the signs were 100% there that we were capable of scoring goals and winning games.

If it wasn't for this point deduction I'd have no doubt we'd not be anywhere near that battle come March.
The defence looked shambolic even with Tarks and Branthwaite playing. He basically left the back 4 to fend for themselves against Premier League opponents. You could play the best defenders in the history of the game in such circumstances and they would have struggled and looked poor players. Coincidentally this is around the same time that the “doubts” about Patterson emerged. When the truth was he and the rest of the back 4 were fed to the lions. And coincidentally nearly every goal came down the left, where Young was playing. But he basically made it impossible for the back 4 to function in a cohesive manner. How can you say you “deserved to win the game” in such an situation?

Last edited:

I don't know so much, 29 passes leading up to the third goal looked like joined up football to me, but, it's all about opinions.