2023/24 Sean Dyche

Anybody who watched our games could see we were creating chances but not finishing them.

As you said, nothing has changed in terms of tactics, that was never the problem. Confidence and finishing that has always been the issue, especially at home.

Despite the win last night it is still a problem as the first 80 minutes showed but once that 1st went in, the team just looked more smooth in that area. Hopefully that will be the catalyst for a good home run of wins and then back that up with the already good away form and there are no issues with survival at all.

I wouldnt underestimate the us against the world mentality has done wonders. I was a bit dubious when that was mentioned at the start of the points deduction but last night he had them at it. Has in last few games aswell but a night game at Goodison with the potential reward to climb out of the bottom 3 and stick two fingers up to the PL was a great motivator.
Its basic stuff but who cares. Lets be honest we have a basic squad but if you give them direction and ask them to play with genuine heart its a good base platform to start from.
Best description i could give of Everton right now is they are very honest. We've got rid of the likes of gray and iwobi, players who played with 50% heart. You could see it. Theres a big difference between physical effort and heart. Iwobi gave 100% physical effort. But 50% heart.
At the moment i dont see anyone shirking tackles.

To say there were no signs early season is incorrect.

Wolves, Fulham at home. Both games should have been won. The chances were there.
Won comfortably too. It’s annoying as if you would rather take playing poorly and took all the points. But I can’t think besides the villa away and arsenal at home where we haven’t been the better team.

To say there were no signs early season is incorrect.

Wolves, Fulham at home. Both games should have been won. The chances were there.
Exactly, its SOME of the same people who at the time said "What idiot cares about the xG, all that matters are points", they still cant admit they were wrong. They ridiculed those of us who said we were playing well, Dyche's tactics were good, the attackers just werent finishing chances. Then they kept ridiculing everytime someone would bring up the fact we had played well and that results would start to turn around.

So maybe it would be good to remember this and use this as an opportunity to learn. Dont just be reactionary to the immediate result, see the team for what it can be if it consistently plays that way. Dont give a pass to managers and players who are quite poor just because they get a result or two behind bad play, and back those who play well but have rough stretches. Dont be like those OTHER people, and lose your mind when the ball doesnt bounce your way for a few matches, it happens. Cream always rises to the top.

I wouldnt underestimate the us against the world mentality has done wonders. I was a bit dubious when that was mentioned at the start of the points deduction but last night he had them at it. Has in last few games aswell but a night game at Goodison with the potential reward to climb out of the bottom 3 and stick two fingers up to the PL was a great motivator.
Its basic stuff but who cares. Lets be honest we have a basic squad but if you give them direction and ask them to play with genuine heart its a good base platform to start from.
Best description i could give of Everton right now is they are very honest. We've got rid of the likes of gray and iwobi, players who played with 50% heart. You could see it. Theres a big difference between physical effort and heart. Iwobi gave 100% physical effort. But 50% heart.
At the moment i dont see anyone shirking tackles.
I just think we have some real leaders on the pitch now, that we have lacked previously. Pickford, Tarks, Coleman, Young (not best ability wise but a leader) Gana and even Doucoure. Add in the workrate of McNeill and Harrison and we have the basis of a decent team and the quality of DCL and Braithwaite.
Lampard spoke of the need for the players to work hard as a minimum to get the players back inside, but he lacked the managerial experience to organise the team. You only have to look at McNeill, Doucoure and Mykolenko since Dyche came to the club. It’s like having 3 different players in the team.

IMG-20231207-WA0036.jpg

Indeed, the idea that Sean Dyche has now met their standards and not that they were just wrong is pretty odd.
I think some of the questions early on were fair as the goals we gave away at times were downright brainfarts that should have been rectified sooner rather than later. But people that question his style of play (AKA DoY hE OnLy SiTs BaCk AnD DoEsN’t aTtAcK) were completely false and out of line.

The stats backed him up and quite honestly if we were more clinical to start we could be fighting top 4-8 (no points deduction factored in of course). Dyche is effective and he isn’t a bore to watch. He will be practical at times but he also gets them playing fun stuff.

I admit I'm never going to be his biggest fan but he is getting us the points we need at the moment which is the key thing, so fair play to him tbh. I do wish we had a few more options in certain positions though.

Dyche gets criticised for his lack of substitutions , but he’s got them so fit and well drilled that they can last 100 mins so he keeps his best players on the pitch where he can , apart from obvious changes when players are not up to 90 mins fitness yet. A good example was the 2nd goal. When their keeper gets the ball Harrison is immediately haring out to the left wing to cover Trippier, Doucoure comes across to help limit his options , Harrison gets the ball , drives forward, McNeil is back in the box but misses, Doucoure follows up and scores . 86 min, they’re still running, still pressing, still getting into the box. Dycheball at its best.

I think some of the questions early on were fair as the goals we gave away at times were downright brainfarts that should have been rectified sooner rather than later. But people that question his style of play (AKA DoY hE OnLy SiTs BaCk AnD DoEsN’t aTtAcK) were completely false and out of line.

The stats backed him up and quite honestly if we were more clinical to start we could be fighting top 4-8 (no points deduction factored in of course). Dyche is effective and he isn’t a bore to watch. He will be practical at times but he also gets them playing fun stuff.
Yeah, I never understood the style of play arguments, I think under Dyche we have played a very good style of football and ive never had an issue with the style.

Yeah, I never understood the style of play arguments, I think under Dyche we have played a very good style of football and ive never had an issue with the style.
We aren’t City, but we also aren’t playing isolation counter attacking long ball footy or tiki takes crap that we have done with the last few managers. There is a lot of interplay and although it is direct there is a lot of creativity and teamwork involved in the buildup. It is certainly not hoofball as some might say.