2023/24 Seamus Coleman

Yup, I'm Irish.
But happy to tell you that McGeady was crap.
James McCarthy had a lot of potential and never really fulfilled it.
Gibson, again, lots of potential but a literal car crash of a player.
Kilbane, had his moments and ran himself in to the ground. Made up for lack of ability with passion.
Carsley. Did well enough for Moyes but I wasnt a fan in an Ireland jersey. Plenty of appalling games. Moyes got the absolute best out of him.
Farrely was forgettable but for one goal.
Sheedy was my hero as a kid.

With the possible exception of Sheedy, Coleman is head and shoulders above any Irish player in modern Everton history.
I think I can look at this rationally, not sure if you can.

We spell Ruairi "Ruairidh/Ruaraidh" here in the Scottish Highlands

McGeady was so bad that he couldn't even get a game for Scotland...

Yeah, My parents had originally wanted Ruaidhri.
It's hard enough being named Ruairi in the US, I cant imagine Ruaidhri! lol

Nice

It means red king. Which you can work out easily enough if you live here as the capital of the Isle of Skye is Portree/Port Rìgh and there's loads of red sandstone hills all over the place such as Sgòrr Ruadh. So Ruadh Rìgh...

Has there been any news on what Coleman himself wants to do next or are we just speculating?

It could be that he wants to do pretty much anything if he's decided not to play again next season

Last edited:
Yup, I'm Irish.
Kilbane, had his moments and ran himself in to the ground. Made up for lack of ability with passion.
Carsley. Did well enough for Moyes but I wasnt a fan in an Ireland jersey. Plenty of appalling games. Moyes got the absolute best out of him.

With the possible exception of Sheedy, Coleman is head and shoulders above any Irish player in modern Everton history.

Then why, when I posted solely about him pulling out of a tackle, are you coming after me regarding his “legend” status?

If you were rational you’d argue the point.

Madness. We’ve been trying to replace this fella for 5 years and he’s still going to be here next season, despite him no longer being any good and he is always injured.

He’ll probably end up starting the first game at Bramley Moore, at this rate.
It is really only this season and to a lesser degree last season that his form has started to slip and he gets more injuries. We certainly have not been trying to replace him for five years.

I presume we've accepted that it's going to be very difficult for us to attract anyone of any quality this summer

Realistically we need to buy someone new for the position

If we've offered Séamus a new contract then perhaps we're going to try and hobble on next season like we did this one

Or perhaps we'll sell/loan out Patterson, buy in a new starter and have Coleman/Godfrey as backup

If our finances are going to be as tight as expected, then he's a cheap squad option. However, no way should he be starting against most teams, but he is capable of playing against the teams at or near the bottom, or coming on for 10 minutes to help see a game out.

Agree we should have replaced him 5 years ago, like.

Yup, I'm Irish.

I’m Irish too. There’s no possible about it at all. Sheedy is the greatest Irish Evertonian since the late 1940s with Eglinton and Farrell. Coleman is clearly next. He doesn’t have any competitors.

He's a very wealthy young man, so I wouldn't be too concerned he's getting less than what he's been on in the past.

I just hope it doesn't sour relations between the skipper and club.

IMO Seamus should now be offered an ambassadorial role and we get a couple of FBs in during the summer.

Wondered if he might just go back to Sligo and try and win a trophy before retiring. But after checking where they are in their table… it looks like they’re crap aswell 😂