Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's it wishing injury when the lad is already injured? I said it would be a blessing in disguise if it was a little longer out than a few days ie 3-4 weeks. Hardly wishing him a broken leg is it
No it is isn't but you are hoping that he is out for 3-4 weeks rather than the week currently estimated. Doesn't sound much better than wishing an injury on him imo. Why not just wish that Martinez follows your ideas and plays Barkely as CAM rather than unnecessary discomfort on a player who, whatever you think of his performances, is a nice lad and works hard for the team.

I always remember Rooney's second season being bang average until he slotted a few towards the end of the campaign, it's typical of youngsters to go through dips in form (see Sterling across the park right now).

That being said I think there's deficiencies in Barkley's game that definitely need addressing. Since that debut against QPR a few years his defending has been below what's required and today just compounded that.

In fact his all round general game has always been so far below what many on here (and pundits too) would have you believe. Flashes of brilliance? Yes. Consistent quality performances? Not even saw him string two together.

No it is isn't but you are hoping that he is out for 3-4 weeks rather than the week currently estimated. Doesn't sound much better than wishing an injury on him imo. Why not just wish that Martinez follows your ideas and plays Barkely as CAM rather than unnecessary discomfort on a player who, whatever you think of his performances, is a nice lad and works hard for the team.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here but: well, because he hasnt and doesnt. I have no idea what is going on with Roberto this year but his selections have been very peculiar honestly.

And that being said, i think Naismith, as boss as he is, needs to be someone that comes on later in games. He's a solid player but we NEED Ross to be the player that we know he could be. Its just frustrating that a lot of players that are pretty crucial are best played in the same position.

and one more thing, imo he needs to step up his work ethic on the pitch. I know its not 'his job' to be sprinting around the pitch but when the ball is 5 yards away, he jogs slower than i do and i am well out of shape these days with a destroyed knee. Just make SOME effort. Look at today, balls were misplaced everywhere today, even putting a BIT of pressure on a player could conceivably throw them off their intended pass.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here but: well, because he hasnt and doesnt. I have no idea what is going on with Roberto this year but his selections have been very peculiar honestly.

And that being said, i think Naismith, as boss as he is, needs to be someone that comes on later in games. He's a solid player but we NEED Ross to be the player that we know he could be. Its just frustrating that a lot of players that are pretty crucial are best played in the same position.
Personally think they are both good as CAM just in different ways, who I'd choose would depend on their form and the opposition setup. We've got plenty of games and they each can get game time in their best position without wanting either to spend any more time out injured.

The reason I think one or the other has been played out of position is the injuries to our wingers - we got a half fit Mirallas back today but McGeady picked up a bug and Pienaar is still injured. Atsu was decent in his cameo but physically would likely have been outmuscled in this badtempered game. Once Martinez has the heady choice of two or even three fit wingers think he'll rotate Ross and Naismith more but we'll see.

Personally think they are both good as CAM just in different ways, who I'd choose would depend on their form and the opposition setup. We've got plenty of games and they each can get game time in their best position without wanting either to spend any more time out injured.

The reason I think one or the other has been played out of position is the injuries to our wingers - we got a half fit Mirallas back today but McGeady picked up a bug and Pienaar is still injured. Atsu was decent in his cameo but physically would likely have been outmuscled in this badtempered game. Once Martinez has the heady choice of two or even three fit wingers think he'll rotate Ross and Naismith more but we'll see.
fair enough, and i agree with you about we need to figure out a way to get both in when they are best suited. That being said, even IF injuries happen, when you have two players, one just SUPER on form like Naismith and another with just massive massive everything in Ross, why not play narrow? We have the singular(at least, imo) team in the Premier League that can actually create width with our fullbacks, why not let them create the width and let those two player together? We have the team for it. We have actual boss players. I was looking at that West Ham today and literally the only player i would have is Jenkinson. And he is from Arsenal ffs! Its just frustrating...

fair enough, and i agree with you about we need to figure out a way to get both in when they are best suited. That being said, even IF injuries happen, when you have two players, one just SUPER on form like Naismith and another with just massive massive everything in Ross, why not play narrow? We have the singular(at least, imo) team in the Premier League that can actually create width with our fullbacks, why not let them create the width and let those two player together? We have the team for it. We have actual boss players. I was looking at that West Ham today and literally the only player i would have is Jenkinson. And he is from Arsenal ffs! Its just frustrating...
You mean in a diamond formation with Naismith & Lukaku as strikers and Ross at the tip? Would have been interesting to try when we were short on wingers, had fit first chocie fullbacks and healthy midfielders. But in the month Ross has been back not sure how many times we've had all of those or at least the time to practice it on the training pitch. I'd like to see it sometime in the future though.

The lad seriously needs to shape up. I think he's probably been on here reading about how great he is ('he's unique as a footballer'... 'We are a one man team' etc) judging by the way he was strolling around.

Not a premier league player at the minute.

That dive was shameful, he should be dropped to the under 21's for the next month as punishment.
Wasn't that bad. Fooled Clattenburg, didn't it?

Seriously though, I agree that I don't want to see our players diving. Not sure about being dropped for it, but Martinez should defo tell him in no uncertain terms that we expect better behaviour.

Sounds bad but it's a shame Naismith isn't out for a little longer than a few days. Barkley needs a few games at CAM to really get back to his best but by the looks of things martinez is sticking to shoving him out wide to accomodate Naismith.
yeh lets hope one of our in form palyers stay's injured longer so a complete basket case can get some more game time.

I always remember Rooney's second season being bang average until he slotted a few towards the end of the campaign, it's typical of youngsters to go through dips in form (see Sterling across the park right now).

That being said I think there's deficiencies in Barkley's game that definitely need addressing. Since that debut against QPR a few years his defending has been below what's required and today just compounded that.

In fact his all round general game has always been so far below what many on here (and pundits too) would have you believe. Flashes of brilliance? Yes. Consistent quality performances? Not even saw him string two together.
Agree with you there, his flashy moments are hiding a few bad habits in his game, he tackles like a bigger version of Osman, in short like a five year old girl, might be a bit of left over from the leg break?
He is young and bound to have a dip in form , and he is still learning the game but he looks like he is trying to do the poser stuff and not getting on with the nitty gritty stuff.
If he has a few good games it will do him the world of good.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.