Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
One memory I have of Moyes was his pathetic demeanour when we lost 2-0 to Bolton.

Threw his toys out the pram and petulently threw Jose Baxter on the pitch with nothing else working as if to say "well here you are - you want to see him".

I remember looking at him in that game and thought "You have been here too long and you think you've outgrown the club"

He carried on doing the same pathetic dug out "arms folded" strops at Man United when his ridiculous tactics weren't working - as if to say "Nothing to do with me, the players are awful".

I can remain balanced with Moyes and appreicate the work he did early on, but I have to say alot of the work he did was overstated.

He's a good book balancer, can steady a rocky ship by playing percentage football. Dedicated to his job and hard working - but for me his tenure was ruined anyhow by the manner in which he behaved upon leaving the club.

He will probably do well at a low to mid table club like WBA, Norwich, QPR and should show he has learned from his time at Everton and United. I'm just pleased we have RM.

Moyes didn't play hoofball ffs. There were games where we were more direct, but then there were games where we played some really nice passing football. I think moyes' actions since he left us has quite obviously clouded a few peoples memories of his whole tenure with us.

I sat about 6 rows behind the dug out at OT , a game we lost 4-0., I think, and all afternoon all you could hear was Moyes shouting 'Hit the front man' 'Hit it long' Our front man was, I think, Anichebe. Irvine was assistant then, and he was pleading with Moyes to make a change at 2-0..but Moyes just kept saying no...and carried on with 'Hit the front man'. It was pathetic...the man was a tactical bankrupt.

I sat about 6 rows behind the dug out at OT , a game we lost 4-0., I think, and all afternoon all you could hear was Moyes shouting 'Hit the front man' 'Hit it long' Our front man was, I think, Anichebe. Irvine was assistant then, and he was pleading with Moyes to make a change at 2-0..but Moyes just kept saying no...and carried on with 'Hit the front man'. It was pathetic...the man was a tactical bankrupt.
That wouldn't surprise me, the hoofball stuff aside, he tactically one of the slowest managers I've ever seen

Reactions: NEC
How do you think Moyes will be remembered in the scheme of Everton managers?

He won't be remembered at all. And ain't that the best.

His tenure was part of a transition. An advert break in the glorious soap opera of Everton Football Club.

Reactions: NEC

For that game and I'm sure plenty of others. But at the same time there were plenty of games where this won't have been the case. Can you remember what season this was?

Given we never lost 4-0 at Old Trafford in Moyes' time at Everton I find that hard to believe.

You say Moyes was assisted by Irvine so I can only assume you mean the 3-0 defeat to them in November 2006 (no other heavy defeat involved Ivrvine as the assistant)

Here is what the match report says " Moyes's team were strong in the tackle, quick to the ball and pleasingly ambitious when in possession. Phil Neville was outstanding on his return to Old Trafford and created an unprecedented occasion with Gary Neville of brothers captaining opposing teams in the same Premiership match.

For the opening half an hour the men in blue looked the more likely to score. Yet they were toothless in attack, chronically missing not only Andrew Johnson but also Tim Cahill, their two most prolific scorers. "

Given we never lost 4-0 at Old Trafford in Moyes' time at Everton I find that hard to believe.

You say Moyes was assisted by Irvine so I can only assume you mean the 3-0 defeat to them in November 2006 (no other heavy defeat involved Ivrvine as the assistant)

Here is what the match report says " Moyes's team were strong in the tackle, quick to the ball and pleasingly ambitious when in possession. Phil Neville was outstanding on his return to Old Trafford and created an unprecedented occasion with Gary Neville of brothers captaining opposing teams in the same Premiership match.

For the opening half an hour the men in blue looked the more likely to score. Yet they were toothless in attack, chronically missing not only Andrew Johnson but also Tim Cahill, their two most prolific scorers. "

Yep..that will be the game...apologies for my 73 year old memory...but the facts remain the same re Moyes continual shouts of 'hit the front man', and others have reported hearing similar from the dug out at GP. Its funny how a match report is gospel if it supports an agenda , but bad reporting if its not supporting an agenda? And I do hope youre not suggesting that I've made something up...why would I ?

That wouldn't surprise me, the hoofball stuff aside, he tactically one of the slowest managers I've ever seen

See this type of critisism of Moyes is the thing that most confuses me.

Moyes peers voted him the best manager 3 times and the Carlo Ancelloti reckons Moyes was the best tactician in the Premier League.

He found a way of getting a team with rubbish finances in the top 7 pretty much every year.

You can only do this by winning football games, which surely means you have to get your tactics correct.

If he was so crap at the football management lark why was he so highly rated by Alex Ferguson and all his peers and why has nobody else been able to transform a club like he did Everton?

Yep..that will be the game...apologies for my 73 year old memory...but the facts remain the same re Moyes continual shouts of 'hit the front man', and others have reported hearing similar from the dug out at GP. Its funny how a match report is gospel if it supports an agenda , but bad reporting if its not supporting an agenda? And I do hope youre not suggesting that I've made something up...why would I ?

Because for the past decade you have been banging on about how awful Moyes is/was- when you haven't been saying how great Bill/Kirkby are.

Obviously you perceived the football to be awful for the time Moyes was in charge (personally I saw very pragmatic football to start which evolved into excellent football in the last 18 months in charge) but I was pointing out that the game you remembered as a 4-0 defeat with awful football was perceived to be a good effort from a team ravished by injury by the media.

http://toffeeweb.com/season/06-07/reports/ManUtd(a).asp

Even Toffeeweb say it was a decent effort!

I doubt if any of the reporters doing the match report were anywhere near the dug out to hear track side orders.

See this type of critisism of Moyes is the thing that most confuses me.

Moyes peers voted him the best manager 3 times and the Carlo Ancelloti reckons Moyes was the best tactician in the Premier League.

He found a way of getting a team with rubbish finances in the top 7 pretty much every year.

You can only do this by winning football games, which surely means you have to get your tactics correct.

If he was so crap at the football management lark why was he so highly rated by Alex Ferguson and all his peers and why has nobody else been able to transform a club like he did Everton?

Everton have been transformed more in the last 12 months than in the previous dozen years. Everton was the best job he was ever going to have a chance of success at in football, and ultimately his success has to be described as limited. When people talk about 'rubbish finances' etc, they forget that the Everton team on the pitch was comparable in talent to most of the Premier League. Unfortunately the manager, a former average centre back, had a defensive mind set and could not change. The main motivation of his management style was fear of losing, or even hope that a defeat was not a heavy one. He was found out at Old Trafford and there has hardly been a clamour for his services, just some interest from the continent, he was not even high in the betting for the Crystal Palace job. Football taxctics have moved on, and 'dour' has never been a buzz word.

Status
Not open for further replies.