Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and sod all coming down the right in Hibbert { sending Coleman out on loan}and Osman { who was never a winger} how many players did he play out wide right - Osman - Rodwell - Barkley - Naismith - Billy - McFadden- that I can think of - he also sold SP part of the Baines partnership to Spurs, and paid more to fetch him back!

To be fair, I remember Coleman's first full season at right back and the mistakes he made at the forums clamouring for Hibbert to be brought back in. To say that Coleman was ready two years before that is short sighted, it's probably experiences like his time on loan at Blackpool that made him the player he is today. Not every youngster can just be thrown in and expected to excel straight away.

Well yes DM was given some money to spend - about £20m over 11 years net.

In the same period the clubs that regularly won trophies spent about £400m-£1b more.

It is painful to watch people rewrite history. Moyes did a good job here with next to no money available. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is deluding themselves.

The standard of football at times was awful, but that usually coincided with injuries and the replacements not being up to scratch. That aside we played entertaining football, when we were in full flow it was actually great viewing.

Personally I'll always like the fella but I'm thrilled to bits with Martinez and how it's unified the fan base. We definitely needed that fresh sense of optimism at the club and he's provided it in abundance.

Royle's success and Moyes' was built on similar foundations, the all out grind in midfield, organised and nullifying.
Seems many forget how bad the Smith years were, I believe Johnson was forced out well well after another record signing - selling himself Simonsen from Tranmere (to Everton). Then cashing in on Ferguson to Newcastle without Smiths knowing and approval. Theres some frightening stories run around about us way back in the deep back mid to late 90's. Yeah, ALL that way back.

Moyes stepped in and took his sweet time to make a go of it, and a genuine perdonal held criticism is that he seemed to take personally every minor knock, perhaps that was a good thing but losing a player or two seemed to upset his apple cart. All too often it was easy to revert to type. Lets not pretend he invented anything, but having had some measure of success with a midfield killing themselves for the backline other sides and managers started to pick up some of the same slack. Suddenly the margins he'd been great in were not quite so apparent, time to be bold, time to be dynamic, and longshots started to be the only way forward - in VDM and Bily such longshots took us backwards. Transfer successes like Arteta and Pienaar were stripped off the books overnight with the signing of wastrels. There is no crystal ball, no guarantees but not shipping out asap and recoving as much as possible is a black mark on an otherwise genius transfer policy.

I'm thankful for Moyes, its easy to hate him after the Man Utd thing and some of what his new employers led him into saying - but if Saha buries that header or Hibbert is defending instead of Jacobsen then maybe he managed us to the cup win and suddenly the easiest means to beat him is stripped away from those with an axe to grind for reasons they arent brave enough to cough up.

Royle's success and Moyes' was built on similar foundations, the all out grind in midfield, organised and nullifying.
Seems many forget how bad the Smith years were, I believe Johnson was forced out well well after another record signing - selling himself Simonsen from Tranmere (to Everton). Then cashing in on Ferguson to Newcastle without Smiths knowing and approval. Theres some frightening stories run around about us way back in the deep back mid to late 90's. Yeah, ALL that way back.

Moyes stepped in and took his sweet time to make a go of it, and a genuine perdonal held criticism is that he seemed to take personally every minor knock, perhaps that was a good thing but losing a player or two seemed to upset his apple cart. All too often it was easy to revert to type. Lets not pretend he invented anything, but having had some measure of success with a midfield killing themselves for the backline other sides and managers started to pick up some of the same slack. Suddenly the margins he'd been great in were not quite so apparent, time to be bold, time to be dynamic, and longshots started to be the only way forward - in VDM and Bily such longshots took us backwards. Transfer successes like Arteta and Pienaar were stripped off the books overnight with the signing of wastrels. There is no crystal ball, no guarantees but not shipping out asap and recoving as much as possible is a black mark on an otherwise genius transfer policy.

I'm thankful for Moyes, its easy to hate him after the Man Utd thing and some of what his new employers led him into saying - but if Saha buries that header or Hibbert is defending instead of Jacobsen then maybe he managed us to the cup win and suddenly the easiest means to beat him is stripped away from those with an axe to grind for reasons they arent brave enough to cough up.

Sorry to pick you up on the smallest of details but that performance by Hibbert in the cup final was probably the worst I've witnessed from an Everton player. Jacobsen needed to come on at half time, simple as that.

Pardon me, was noting that Hibbert was goosed from minute one and that the need for Jacobsen was the issue. A fit Hibbert, a solid Saha header etc...

Sport is littered with such things, and ifs and whys and the rest. I was illustrating a point, imagine how difficult the revisionists would find it had things gone our way (like they very much had in the semi).

I still have genuine affection for Moyes - Even with all the dithering, the messy farewell and negative tactics muddled into everything. There were times (and quite a number of them) that he made me feel prouder than I've ever felt to be an Evertonian and they were under his watch. At his best he was a passionate, unifying character than made me believe that even though it was Everton against the rest of the world, I was on the right side.

It's all too easy to rewrite history in hindsight - but it strikes me as being a little sad for us to gloat at Moyes' time at Manure - He got offered the biggest job in British football and took it, and made a balls up of it - That doesnt mean we shouldnt be grateful for the good times at Everton he was responsible towards.

It is painful to watch people rewrite history. Moyes did a good job here with next to no money available. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is deluding themselves.

The standard of football at times was awful, but that usually coincided with injuries and the replacements not being up to scratch. That aside we played entertaining football, when we were in full flow it was actually great viewing.

Personally I'll always like the fella but I'm thrilled to bits with Martinez and how it's unified the fan base. We definitely needed that fresh sense of optimism at the club and he's provided it in abundance.

Love this post excellent. The re-writing of history is really annoying.

I'd also add it's very hard to compare moyes to royal and others, even comparing to Martinez to some extent. (Who has started with a great squad and money to spend!)

Moyes managed us at the most competitive time with the least money ever available, against teams with the most money ever available.

From trying to have to match just a dominant utd, moyes had to deal with utd, soon came arsenal, then Chelsea, city, even Liverpool and spurs spending millions. Other various other teams like Newcastle spending BIG money and not getting above us!

Even if you didn't like the way he did it (which again is a myth) Moyes didn't play dour football, especially when his players improved. And even if you don't like the way he left (tosser) you can't change the wonderfull job he did.

Last edited:

To be fair, I remember Coleman's first full season at right back and the mistakes he made at the forums clamouring for Hibbert to be brought back in. To say that Coleman was ready two years before that is short sighted, it's probably experiences like his time on loan at Blackpool that made him the player he is today. Not every youngster can just be thrown in and expected to excel straight away.

You have got to be taking a joke out of me on Coleman's debut a game changing sub v Spurs MOTM he was magnificent as Hibbo limped off - DM on Radio Merseyside quote on Coleman's performance after that performance quote "the shirt is his"= meaning he would be dropped, and his favourite Hibbo back in Coleman was the used on the right wing and sent out on loan!
Coleman at full back never got a chance in an earned selection at right back, Blackpool tried to sign him in an instant - DM a joke of a manager, proved it at Man U! Good riddance to a wasted 67,000 per week for hoof ball most seasons!

You have got to be taking a joke out of me on Coleman's debut a game changing sub v Spurs MOTM he was magnificent as Hibbo limped off - DM on Radio Merseyside quote on Coleman's performance after that performance quote "the shirt is his"= meaning he would be dropped, and his favourite Hibbo back in Coleman was the used on the right wing and sent out on loan!
Coleman at full back never got a chance in an earned selection at right back, Blackpool tried to sign him in an instant - DM a joke of a manager, proved it at Man U! Good riddance to a wasted 67,000 per week for hoof ball most seasons!

Joke of a manager?

Hoof ball?

Oh dear

Moyes didn't play hoofball ffs. There were games where we were more direct, but then there were games where we played some really nice passing football. I think moyes' actions since he left us has quite obviously clouded a few peoples memories of his whole tenure with us.

Moyes didn't play hoofball ffs. There were games where we were more direct, but then there were games where we played some really nice passing football. I think moyes' actions since he left us has quite obviously clouded a few peoples memories of his whole tenure with us.
Bainaer were the ones that played the football, for the most part we we're very direct though but not as route one as some suggest, we werent as bad as a pulis side or a fat sam side

Bainaer were the ones that played the football, for the most part we we're very direct though but not as route one as some suggest, we werent as bad as a pulis side or a fat sam side

Arteta, Fellaini, yakubu, Cahill, Coleman, Osman etc would have something to say about that. You're right though, we played a combination of passing and direct football. Never all out hoof.

Status
Not open for further replies.