REACTION: Everton Draw BSC Young Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chf 118 return from Geneva airport to Bern Wankdorf, standard daily price on the SBB app. About £80- including the Bern city transport ticket (needed to get from City centre to stadium). The prices go up each new year but its not the UK so only a couple of Chuffs more
The trains are usually fine if you don't travel at peak periods (same as UK), so avoid 0730-0930 and 1630 to 1900.
You can easy add a seat reservation if you book via the SBB website.

You might be better off looking at seeing if you can find discounted tickets somewhere like the sncf or DB site but SBB usually has the cheapest for their own routes and everyone else adds a commission. There are under 25 or senior prices available. Based on daily demand forecast, SBB does SuperSaver tickets - the earlier you book, the cheaper it is : info from here
http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/supersaver-tickets.html
at the moment, you can only book from 1 Jan for travel in mid Feb but it may give you a cheaper ticket (up to 50%) than standard ticket if you book it in early Jan. Their app is pretty good too (app stores) - timetable and tickets online. All swiss public transport is integrated and you can buy it all via the app.

Right so it's looking closer to £80 then unless you book well advance!?

Anyone have any rough idea of the average price of a pint in Bern? Could see that easily being the biggest expense over the trip.

In Zurich, you are looking at anywhere between 6 (if you are lucky!) and 9 francs a pint. Probably the same in Bern.

25 francs from Geneva to Bern is only if you have the Swiss rail card (50% off), which I'm guessing most of you won't!
50 francs is standard single price, with no reductions.

I'm getting 27.50 Francs each way when I search which is 55 francs = £37 both ways.

Where you getting your price from?

Anyone have any rough idea of the average price of a pint in Bern? Could see that easily being the biggest expense over the trip.

Apparently it's about £6, for that reason alone, i'm only doing Thurs, home friday early doors, can't see this being an amazing trip due to the sheer difficulty getting there, and the complete lack of bed space in Bern.

www.sbb.ch - I live in Switzerland...where are you looking?

You know best then!!!! So the trains are really expensive over there then!? I was on the SBB website but I'm guessing I was getting the prices with as if I had the railcard.

Is there a cheaper way to get from Geneva to Bern because £75 return is mad money!!

You know best then!!!! So the trains are really expensive over there then!? I was on the SBB website but I'm guessing I was getting the prices with as if I had the railcard.

Is there a cheaper way to get from Geneva to Bern because £75 return is mad money!!

Supposedly Switzerland is an 'Integrated travel zone', so they're really well organised, however, they don't actually have many buses running the same route as the train, so i think you'd probably be struggling to get a bus!

Supposedly Switzerland is an 'Integrated travel zone', so they're really well organised, however, they don't actually have many buses running the same route as the train, so i think you'd probably be struggling to get a bus!

tempted to just sit on a train from London to Bern for 8 hours, saves all the faff and all the train money from the airport, seems the cheapest way if you an bare to sit on a train for that long (n)

Switzerland has a reputation for being ridiculously expensive by our standards.

Boring but potentially relevant fact of the day is that it is the second most expensive place to buy a Big Mac in the world.

Most things are expensive over here ;-)
Trains are no exception, sadly. I have the Swiss railcard to cut down travel costs, but again that's only for residents.
When my Mum comes to visit I buy her a Swiss Rail Pass from here http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/home/tickets/ticketfinder-en/swiss-pass-en.html but that's only really worth it if you are travelling around over a four-day period.
You may get a SuperSaver ticket closer to the time, but cheap train travel is very, very rare over here...

Not aware of any buses either. There's a start-up company offering cheap bus tickets to Germany, and they want to challenge the SBB for routes in Switzerland, but the SBB have a monopoly over travel within Switzerland at the moment...

Otherwise...hire a car maybe? Hitchhike? ;-)

Switzerland has a reputation for being ridiculously expensive by our standards.

Boring but potentially relevant fact of the day is that it is the second most expensive place to buy a Big Mac in the world.

Yup. My cheese sandwich at lunch cost me 9 francs today...

tempted to just sit on a train from London to Bern for 8 hours, saves all the faff and all the train money from the airport, seems the cheapest way if you an bare to sit on a train for that long (n)

I'd do it.

If i hadn't booked it already, i'd definitely be jumping on the megabus from Brussels to stuttgart (it's free?!!). Then getting on the Bahn to bern for €20, as on bahn.de, can't complain about the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.