REACTION: Everton Draw BSC Young Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most things are expensive over here ;-)
Trains are no exception, sadly. I have the Swiss railcard to cut down travel costs, but again that's only for residents.
When my Mum comes to visit I buy her a Swiss Rail Pass from here http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/home/tickets/ticketfinder-en/swiss-pass-en.html but that's only really worth it if you are travelling around over a four-day period.
You may get a SuperSaver ticket closer to the time, but cheap train travel is very, very rare over here...

Not aware of any buses either. There's a start-up company offering cheap bus tickets to Germany, and they want to challenge the SBB for routes in Switzerland, but the SBB have a monopoly over travel within Switzerland at the moment...

Otherwise...hire a car maybe? Hitchhike? ;-)

Looking like hiring a car is the best option really.

How much would you think the train would go down with with a SuperSaver ticket? Or would it not really be that much?

Thank you for your help, appreciate it!

I'd do it.

If i hadn't booked it already, i'd definitely be jumping on the megabus from Brussels to stuttgart (it's free?!!). Then getting on the Bahn to bern for €20, as on bahn.de, can't complain about the price!

How long does that take do you know? the megabus and then the Bahn?

I'd do it.

If i hadn't booked it already, i'd definitely be jumping on the megabus from Brussels to stuttgart (it's free?!!). Then getting on the Bahn to bern for €20, as on bahn.de, can't complain about the price!

€20? That seems staggeringly low, even by German standards!

Looking like hiring a car is the best option really.

How much would you think the train would go down with with a SuperSaver ticket? Or would it not really be that much?

Thank you for your help, appreciate it!

The thing with SuperSaver tickets ("Sparbillette") is they are only available nearer the time, and then in really low numbers.
IF you can grab one, then you can get it down to 25 francs one way from Geneva to Bern, so half price.
Here's the link.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/supersaver-tickets.html

Are the train prices the same all over the country? So would it cost the same sort of price for train to Bern from Zurich or Basel as it would from Geneva?

according to the same variables I used to quote Geneva airport to Bern Wankdorf (I love saying that) - airport to stadium, including the city ticket for Bern, the standard daily price of adult ticket its chf118.80 from Zurich airport

according to the same variables I used to quote Geneva airport to Bern Wankdorf (I love saying that) - airport to stadium, including the city ticket for Bern, the standard daily price of adult ticket its chf118.80 from Zurich airport

Thanks for your help, so it's roughly the same price give or take a fiver.

Right I've worked out the cheapest way is to get the Eurostar from London to Bern which takes 8 hours, stay two nights in a hotel, go back on the Friday comes out at £267 which is cheaper than flying and staying one night with the £75 train fare from Geneva.

SO EXPENSIVE :(

Looks like next years skiing trip is in Switzerland with a day in Bern if I can hussle a ticket for myself in the 'neutral section'!

@bluegirl
relax. take the train, enjoy the scenic route, the lovely city of bern and the game.
it's well spent money

@Shab
bern is very close to the bernese alps (what a surprise).
i can highly recommend the skiing areas of gstaad, wengen and grindelwald.

and btw. there is of course a direct connection between geneva and bern. here's a link to the map of the swiss railway system

http://www.sbb.ch/content/sbb/en/de...t/network_map_as_scree_0.spooler.download.jpg

it's a pleasure to have the other part of liverpool over here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.