Match Thread POSTPONED: Everton v Manchester City - Preview only

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a PL matter. You assume City were tardy in bringing the situation to the notice of the PL - why?

And the PL cant be awarding points to one club at the expense of another when the issue is a rampant Covid19 outbreak in one of their camps.

I understand football tribalism, and I'm as tribal as anyone. But that club statement of ours was tetchy and irate and had no feel for the situation. It wont have done us any favours.

It is what it is: a sport going through the worst of a pandemic. The usual PL schedule has forced the issue and the wheels have come off - and now it looks like it'll be off the road for a few weeks.

There's not much more to it than that.
Then why isn't Sheffield Utd/Burnley called off?

YdMhU.gif

What was the extent of Covid19 affected players? Sheff Utd have said 'a number of positive tests' but now how many - or whether it's to players or wider staff.

Unless you have figures for each category for both City and Sheff Utd you cant sustain the point you wish to.

What was the extent of Covid19 affected players? Sheff Utd have said 'a number of positive tests' but now how many - or whether it's to players or wider staff.

Unless you have figures for each category for both City and Sheff Utd you cant sustain the point you wish to.
The point I wish to make as you so smugly try to be eloquent about is that Everton have asked why the match was cancelled. You're being a little cryarse over a statement that said "Everton want to know the reasonings behind the cancellation because we knew nothing about this until we were told it was cancelled". As @BlueToff has made the point the "precedent has been made" regarding Newcastle/Villa and us/City and, yet, NOTHING has been done about another outbreak at another club.

They're making it up as they go along and need to be called out for it.

You are normally the first to put the boot in when the club doesn't stick up for themselves Dave, and all too often you are right to do so. Thought you would welcome that statement given neither City or the PL are very forthcoming with the facts

I think the club is missing an opportunity here to hire our davek to write their club statements so as to get precisely the right proportion and tone to the response. He seems to know.

View attachment 112466

I think the main issue here has always been the Premier League are not showing consistency. Why are they letting Sheffield United play?

Will he a number of factors, if its one bubble that is infected it can be managed, but if its multiple bubbles the risk is too high.

City already have a backlog of games, to think this is a conspiracy of some sorts is madness. Just look at the amount of games are being cancelled.

Infection rates are going through the roof, a national lockdown is coming and the league will shut down for a few weeks.

The point I wish to make as you so smugly try to be eloquent about is that Everton have asked why the match was cancelled. You're being a little cryarse over a statement that said "Everton want to know the reasonings behind the cancellation because we knew nothing about this until we were told it was cancelled". As @BlueToff has made the point the "precedent has been made" regarding Newcastle/Villa and us/City and, yet, NOTHING has been done about another outbreak at another club.

They're making it up as they go along and need to be called out for it.
There's no precedent set with Newcastle/ Villa. That was played on December 5th with a normal PL schedule and the testing will have been easy to get a co-ordinated response in place in time. The Christmas period makes that impossible: games are every 3 days and tests are going in and coming back in short order. It's chalk and cheese the Newcastle v Villa game and the Everton v City game.

Bollocks to the my club right or wrong argument. People's health is more important. "3 points are at stake". 'kin ell.

Will he a number of factors, if its one bubble that is infected it can be managed, but if its multiple bubbles the risk is too high.

City already have a backlog of games, to think this is a conspiracy of some sorts is madness. Just look at the amount of games are being cancelled.

Infection rates are going through the roof, a national lockdown is coming and the league will shut down for a few weeks.
Not saying it is a conspiracy at all. I am thinking about the health and well being of players

Unfortunately I am with @davek , think we need to shut down now

Nothing wrong or classless with Everton asking for answers to how the decisions have been made and the timing of them, and why the rules that were agreed at the start of the season are not being followed, about fielding a team etc.

Why are sheff utd fielding a team and playing tonight?

Same old, same old - money talks it would seem.

I hope the book is thrown at city and their players who cannot follow simple rules that we all must follow, as that's clearly what has caused their bubble to be breached!

As others have said, they are paid obscene amounts of money to play football - they are cosseted and waited on hand and foot for most things in life, so why do they need to go anywhere and do anything that would put them, and more importantly other professionals and normal working
people, at risk of infection? Disgusting.

That's a PL matter. You assume City were tardy in bringing the situation to the notice of the PL - why?

And the PL cant be awarding points to one club at the expense of another when the issue is a rampant Covid19 outbreak in one of their camps.

I understand football tribalism, and I'm as tribal as anyone. But that club statement of ours was tetchy and irate and had no feel for the situation. It wont have done us any favours.

It is what it is: a sport going through the worst of a pandemic. The usual PL schedule has forced the issue and the wheels have come off - and now it looks like it'll be off the road for a few weeks.

There's not much more to it than that.
The PL? Man city? Who ever we demand to know what's going on. Utter disgrace. Lives at risk and they are doing this past minute. Everton are heroes and if they can get disclosure on this more lifes will be saved.

Last edited:
I agree that people’s safety is paramount
Interesting comments from Chris Wilder though. I think he’s having a go at city reading between the lines.
Fair play to him.

Man City didnt postpone the game. The PL did, after taking medical advice due to the unfortunate timings of tests/Christmas. Essentially, once 2 or 3 players had returned positive tests earlier, they hadnt a clue what the results of the next batch would show. Nor if it was the new super duper virus.

They, the PL, would have been asking both clubs to play Russian Roulette with the absence of data.

There's no precedent set with Newcastle/ Villa. That was played on December 5th with a normal PL schedule and the testing will have been easy to get a co-ordinated response in place in time. The Christmas period makes that impossible: games are every 3 days and tests are going in and coming back in short order. It's chalk and cheese the Newcastle v Villa game and the Everton v City game.

Bollocks to the my club right or wrong argument. People's health is more important. "3 points are at stake". 'kin ell.

You're going on like the club statement read we dont care who you have available. Get colin bell and shuan goater for all we care.
I read it through a few times and there wasnt anything really wrong in it. You've just stated that the newcastle villa game had time for a co-ordinated response. Everton were told a few hours before kick off and had to get a statement out there. Who else has had that? And reading between the lines, the last people to be told were the club hosting the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.