Martinez's 12 months of squad building

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about Roberto in my opinion is, that he tells you all you need to know and it gets you really excited. And most importantly, he tells you truth. For example, I really believe we still should have all or almost all money from this year's extra TV deal money. I always remembered all summer long this interview: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/27/roberto-martinez-everton-rebuild-training-round

"Whether we are in Europe or not will be a big factor in that," said Martínez, who believes an extra six players will be required should his fifth-placed team secure Champions League or Europa League qualification. "You can work on a squad of 21 players in the league and for domestic competitions and you need around 27 players plus the keepers for Europe."
- We got Barry, Besic, Lukaku, Atsu, Eto'o and so I believe we should get one last player in this window, Galloway, Byrne and Henen don't count, as they all are players for U21. We have all these 22 outfield players in that last tofeeblue9's table + I believe Martinez counts Duffy, Garbutt, McAleny and possibly Browning as a part of our first team squad + we will get one last player in I believe.

"Remember we sold £40m worth of players and we only spent £13m [initially]. That money is there to be spent. The new TV money won't make a massive difference on the playing side because we've got a lot of things we want to do on the training ground. We want to build accommodation here, have bedrooms on site, put a new pitch in and give the training ground a big lift. I'm going to use the money for that."
- Well, we used something like 24m in total for Lukaku without addons, something like 3m for Besic and some small payments for Galloway, Barry, Eto'o, Atsu and Byrne and on the other hand we got something like 3m as a sell on fee for Forshaw and a solidarity contribution for Rodwell's transfer all together. So I believe we only spent Fellaini/Jelavic/Anichebe (27,5+7,5+5=40) and we still should have almost all these TV money how Roberto told us for improving Finch Farm and finally as a cash reserve we really need to get rid of all these stupid Vibrac loans and hopefully a part of our longterm debt too.

The best thing about this we are going to get these extra 30m once again for the next season. Maybe even more if we can get into the late phases of Europa League or more importantly the Champions League in the next season. Roberto will know what to do with all these money, we all know he has a five year plan Kenwright agreed with when Bobby agreed a new contract with us, so we can only prepare to enjoy this exciting ride. With Seňor Roberto we are going places. ;)

Howard
Joel

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Hibbert Stones Alcaraz Oviedo
Browning ___________Garbutt

Barry McCarthy
Gibson Besic

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar
Atsu Osman McGeady

Lukaku
Eto'o
Naismith
Kone
It is pretty impressive and we should be able to put strong sides out in the Carling Cup and the Europa League. Our first eleven still picks itself though and the next challenge is to get the likes of Stones, Oviedo, Besic, McGeady, Eto'o, Atsu and Naismith to put in a serious challenge to the players above them in the pecking order.

I think that the weakest area is behind the striker but it allows us to accommodate Naismith there while Barkley is out and it might be an opportunity to play Eto'o just off Lukaku.

Martinez4.jpg

There's four of that lot you wouldn't want to see in any first team, that's for sure. I'd say there's only 18 there I'd trust to take to the pitch. We have no option at RB, a poor GK understudy, no real playmaker worthy of the name.

The age of the squad must be pretty high, it looks it.

Howard
Joel

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Hibbert Stones Alcaraz Oviedo
Browning Duffy Galloway Garbutt

Barry McCarthy
Gibson Besic

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar
Atsu Osman McGeady

Lukaku
Eto'o
Naismith
Kone
It is pretty impressive and we should be able to put strong sides out in the Carling Cup and the Europa League. Our first eleven still picks itself though and the next challenge is to get the likes of Stones, Oviedo, Besic, McGeady, Eto'o, Atsu and Naismith to put in a serious challenge to the players above them in the pecking order.

I think that the weakest area is behind the striker but it allows us to accommodate Naismith there while Barkley is out and it might be an opportunity to play Eto'o just off Lukaku.

Just saying like

good post lad.

going from a strikeforce of jelavic, anichebe and vellios to lukaku, eto'o and kone is absurd.

the main thing for me is the youth and more importantly the youth in important areas. i think robles will be a good keeper evetually - but needs a few years on loan playing first team football, but apart from that we have stones - mccarthy - barkley - lukaku right down the centre all in their early 20's.

i'd say we'd need a new keeper in about 3 years time, a new centre back in about 2 years time, a new DM in about 2/3 years and then a new striker or two in 2/3 years. will need a new winger at the end of the season when atsu goes back (could even be him we buy).

but yeah, in that time frame, we could possibly buy 1 or 2 big signings with the TV income every summer and then the odd couple of youngsters to build an immense squad.

Martinez4.jpg

There's four of that lot you wouldn't want to see in any first team, that's for sure. I'd say there's only 18 there I'd trust to take to the pitch. We have no option at RB, a poor GK understudy, no real playmaker worthy of the name.

The age of the squad must be pretty high, it looks it.

AVG Age: 27.

I've agreed with you that we could do with a few more in this window, but now our squad is in a fantastic position. We've been unfortunate with injuries so far, and that's why I'd like to see us get another 1 or 2. But, if we don't, that squad there is still one of the top 6 in the league. 1 more in and no (major) outs - and it's been a brilliant window. It's gonna be extremely hard getting a quality RB in considering they're only ever gonna play if Coleman isn't fit.

good post lad.

going from a strikeforce of jelavic, anichebe and vellios to lukaku, eto'o and kone is absurd.

the main thing for me is the youth and more importantly the youth in important areas. i think robles will be a good keeper evetually - but needs a few years on loan playing first team football, but apart from that we have stones - mccarthy - barkley - lukaku right down the centre all in their early 20's.

i'd say we'd need a new keeper in about 3 years time, a new centre back in about 2 years time, a new DM in about 2/3 years and then a new striker or two in 2/3 years. will need a new winger at the end of the season when atsu goes back (could even be him we buy).

but yeah, in that time frame, we could possibly buy 1 or 2 big signings with the TV income every summer and then the odd couple of youngsters to build an immense squad.

I think by the end of next season (I know sounds stupid saying this already!) but Besic will have taken Barry's place alongside McCarthy. I really think the lads gonna be quality.

AVG Age: 27.

I've agreed with you that we could do with a few more in this window, but now our squad is in a fantastic position. We've been unfortunate with injuries so far, and that's why I'd like to see us get another 1 or 2. But, if we don't, that squad there is still one of the top 6 in the league. 1 more in and no (major) outs - and it's been a brilliant window. It's gonna be extremely hard getting a quality RB in considering they're only ever gonna play if Coleman isn't fit.

Big gamble. He paid £150K on an Irish kid. Why wasn'y he tested preseason given it's a weak area for us?

Avg 27 years for a squad seems pretty high to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.