Martinez's 12 months of squad building

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeeblue9

Player Valuation: £35m
Struck me this morning how the squad that we've got (on paper at least) seems to me to be the strongest we've ever had in my memory of supporting Everton. Genuine quality all over the pitch, cover in every position and a nice blend of youth and experience.

It got me to thinking about where the squad had been when Martinez took over last summer.

Following Moyes' departure, we saw the exits of Phil Neville and Thomas Hitzlsperger as they retired, along with Jan Mucha's departure as his contract ended.

The squad that Martinez took over was pretty thin and, as far as senior players are concerned, it looked like this:

Martinez1.jpeg

If I were Martinez, my initial concern wouldn't have necessarily been about the quality of the players at his disposal (they had finished 6th the previous season), more the fact that the squad was simply too small. This had often been a problem under Moyes.

Martinez addressed this and we finished Martinez's first transfer window with the following first team squad:

Martinez2.jpg

Martinez had raided Wigan for a number of players like Robles, Alcaraz and Kone to supplement the squad numbers, along with 3 loans. Our only significant "signing" was James McCarthy

It was only a month or two into the season that we lost Darron Gibson and Arouna Kone and the squad depth that Martinez had assembled was already stretched and key areas like in attack and central midfield were stretched.

Going into January, Martinez asserted that if the right deals weren't available, he would rather hold onto the money we had and save it to spend in the summer window. He was true to his word and Everton's only signings were Aiden McGeady for a nominal fee and Lacina Traore on loan - allowing Johnny Heitinga to leave on a free and selling Jelavic to Fulham. At the end of the January window, Everton's senior squad was as follows:

Martinez3.jpg

And so we arrive at this summer. Everton's loan players departed (Lukaku, Barry, Deulofeu and Traore) and Martinez was again tasked with trying to improve the quality of a squad who had finished 5th with a record points total but also to try and keep as much continuity as possible from the previous campaign and ensuring that we had a squad large enough to compete on 4 fronts next season. Signing Gareth Barry and Romelu Lukaku on permanent deals made a lot of sense since they were the two loan players who had contributed most in the previous campaign. As of today, Everton's first team squad is:

Martinez4.jpg

It's the biggest squad we've had in as long as I can remember and the players returning to fitness like Gibson, Oviedo, Pienaar and Kone (who all missed large spells of last season) will help, but the question is, is this squad big enough? How much better is it in terms of quality than the one Martinez inherited? Could/should he have done anything different?

Personally, I see a squad that has 2 senior players in every position on the pitch, with 3 in the number 10 role and centre forward. Theoretically speaking, that should be enough, especially when supplemented at times by the likes of Browning, Garbutt, Ledson etc who Martinez seems to think may all have an role to play this season.

It's the best squad I can remember and it's the biggest squad I can remember us having and I think we're right to be cautiously optimistic, given that Premier League teams are only allowed to name 25 man squads these days (excluding U21 players), how many of our rivals have significantly bigger 1st team squads assembled?

Barkley and Stones wouldnt be added as part of the squad, so that means we have 3 spaces left to add as well, im expecting at least 2 more faces in personally, still got a feeling somebody from the above list will be moved on.

But yes, the squad depth is superb, we have options all over the pitch.

I'd have kept victor over kone but apart from that I have no complaints. I'm not knocking kone really, I said it at the time I didn't think he offered more and victor knew the club. In retrospect, I imagine Martinez would agree but for a different reason.

Kone is his only mistake for me, but thats mostly down to very bad luck in him picking up a major injury, he would have been a useful player last season and would have certainly scored us some important goals, also if im being picky the signing of TreeA was a shocking piece of business also, minor complaints in what has been a superb 12 months in terms of transfers.

What I do like is he is buying the right players and right quality and gradually building his own squad. As opposed to spunking money left right and centre ala Kopites and Spurs. Buying in 7/8/9 players every year purely and simply doesn't work.

Martinez has carried on where Moyes left off and progressed it to the next level. He used the term continuity and you can see it's essential for building a good squad where he can rotate without disruption.

I read a while ago a comment about the squads that Moyes built. It was along the lines of: he regularly bought players that went on to become vital to us (Cahill, Arteta, Lescott etc) but because of financial restrictions, by the time he had unearthed another star, one of our previous stars left or had passed his peak (Fellaini and arteta for example).

I thought this was a very good point at the time and I think the extra tv money has allowed Martinez to get multiple stars in in quick succession (McCarthy Barry, lukaku, Eto'o etc). Hopefully this trend will continue, because as op said, our squad currently looks very good.

I would argue we have a 25 man squad if Duffy is still here come September 1.
Garbutt? Based on the performances I've seen he is ready to play his part in the squad.

Add to that the strength of the 21's squad, Long, Browning, Ledson etc..

Fantastic!!!

Get rid of Robles, Hibbert, Alcaraz, Osman and Kone in the next 18 months and replace them with better players and we'll be absolutely superb.

Ask any Efc fan and they would probably list all the same players, but I doubt we will be that lucky. I'm sure Osman practices some kind of black magic to make sure he is never dropped.

And he's brought in a couple of youngsters in Galloway and Byrne who may prove useful in the coming years (maybe Henen too?). The squad is looking really good I think.

Nice post btw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.