Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almost sounds like he's trying to stake his claim to stay in the job. We need experience and he's got it, he's won a trophy and he's finished 5th.

I really hope he turns it around but I'm struggling to see any evidence that he's at least going to stop the defenders passing it around the back which is leading to a record number of mistakes, play with a proper shape, or use players who are better equipped to retain possession.

I remember when Vialli won the Champions League while upfront for Juve. Later as a Chelsea player and pundit in the studio he claimed that Juve had basically built their side for the European campaign and sacrificed their league challenge in order to win the trophy they wanted. I'm not suggesting Martinez has done this with us but we have looked a lot more dynamic in Europe this season than we have in the league.

I like Naimisth. He's not the ideal footballer by any stretch of the imagination, as his passing is mostly woeful and he's not particularly mobile.

However, he has shown that he's a more than able finisher when presented with opportunities and he is tenacious, hard-working and determined.

When a lot of players have simply dwindled under the pressure this year, Steven has kept working; what he lacks in ability he makes up in guile

Although over the past few weeks his influence seems to have diminished, I put that more down to tiredness and being over burdened.

If other players were performing to an expected or acceptable level, then Naismith would not be starting as regularly as he has been expected to.

As a Kopite I know in work said, "When Steven Naismith is keeping Barkley out of the team, what does it say about either player?"

Almost sounds like he's trying to stake his claim to stay in the job. We need experience and he's got it, he's won a trophy and he's finished 5th.

I really hope he turns it around but I'm struggling to see any evidence that he's at least going to stop the defenders passing it around the back which is leading to a record number of mistakes, play with a proper shape, or use players who are better equipped to retain possession.

I remember when Vialli won the Champions League while upfront for Juve. Later as a Chelsea player and pundit in the studio he claimed that Juve had basically built their side for the European campaign and sacrificed their league challenge in order to win the trophy they wanted. I'm not suggesting Martinez has done this with us but we have looked a lot more dynamic in Europe this season than we have in the league.

I wonder myself sometimes whether this is the case and whether the light pre-season and the lack of work off the ball in the league are attempts to conserve energy and peak in April/May when other teams are tiring out. Purely wishful thinking though I reckon.

I like Naimisth. He's not the ideal footballer by any stretch of the imagination, as his passing is mostly woeful and he's not particularly mobile.

However, he has shown that he's a more than able finisher when presented with opportunities and he is tenacious, hard-working and determined.

When a lot of players have simply dwindled under the pressure this year, Steven has kept working; what he lacks in ability he makes up in guile

Although over the past few weeks his influence seems to have diminished, I put that more down to tiredness and being over burdened.

If other players were performing to an expected or acceptable level, then Naismith would not be starting as regularly as he has been expected to.

As a Kopite I know in work said, "When Steven Naismith is keeping Barkley out of the team, what does it say about either player?"
Hey Phil, where's your new name on the other place akbar?

Interrrrrrestin' stuff. Never knew the VIALLI/JUVE palaver...

I really hope he gets through this, team looks unbalanced nobody wide left all season, a lot of square pegs round holes, Jags shunted to the left to accomodate Stones, but long term I still think he could do good things

We get the time in Europe to play that way (although if Kiev and others left in that tournament we might face have any sense they'll get behind the ball). I maintain that the system is not the problem. But if you want to play the way he wants to you have to have a better CD unit than we can turn to...and you have to have a player further up the pitch capable of consistently opening defences up when they sit deep causing your passing movements to consistently break down. A little back heel, reverse pass, chip over the top of a defence...we dont have the player to do that and we need to find him if the system wants to thrive. As a stop gap we should have tried to get Berbatov in January.

We get the time in Europe to play that way (although if Kiev and others left in that tournament we might face have any sense they'll get behind the ball). I maintain that the system is not the problem. But if you want to play the way he wants to you have to have a better CD unit than we can turn to...and you have to have a player further up the pitch capable of consistently opening defences up when they sit deep causing your passing movements to consistently break down. A little back heel, reverse pass, chip over the top of a defence...we dont have the player to do that and we need to find him if the system wants to thrive. As a stop gap we should have tried to get Berbatov in January.

Accept Bobby stayed on message with his constant referrals that his squad was good enough since last summer. In other words, he probably made promises in the summer to the club that he was done spending and did,nt need to go out and spend in Jan. it,s clear that we have missed a creative player in the last third of the pitch for a very long time now but he decided to play No 10,s all over the shop with no wingers to boot.

Accept Bobby stayed on message with his constant referrals that his squad was good enough since last summer. In other words, he probably made promises in the summer to the club that he was done spending and did,nt need to go out and spend in Jan. it,s clear that we have missed a creative player in the last third of the pitch for a very long time now but he decided to play No 10,s all over the shop with no wingers to boot.
Lennon, at this stage, doesn't look like the player we needed in January. I can understand him wanting to get some pace out wide, but if it were me I;d have taken a gamble on any available player who could pick a lock on his day.

Diego is the one we should be targeting this summer. He's on a free from Fenerbahce then...probably cash upfront this January would have secured him earlier.

EDIT. Not a free, but wouldn't break the bank.

Lennon, at this stage, doesn't look like the player we needed in January. I can understand him wanting to get some pace out wide, but if it were me I;d have taken a gamble on any available player who could pick a lock on his day.

Diego is the one we should be targeting this summer. He's on a free from Fenerbahce then...probably cash upfront this January would have secured him earlier.

LOL, I,completely forgot about Lennon.

I don't think that has happened by design but we collectively definitely look like we have more energy in Europe. I think the players are trying to get the league over and done with the minimal amount of effort and risk to injury. Has been that way since Top 4 was no longer realistic.

Teams might be targeting him now and tracking his movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.