Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have had a blinder too like.

That's the thing though, it's in the past, no point dwelling on it, Martinez got it right today and got the 3 points, the team winning games is a priority over individual performances right now, and while I'd like to see Garbutt play more I'm happy with today's result.
Garbutt is more like Baines than Hibbo he likes to overlap - so he had more to offer - we will never know if oldies like Hibbo are picked just like Stones everyone thought Distan was irreplaceable!

Sounds like you made your mind up and are trying to justify it. Are you sure it is "lucky" that Jenkinson is not very good at attacking? Maybe Martinez knows that (since he is paid a lot of money to know that kind of thing) and felt that Hibbert wouldn't be threatened or caught out of position, therefore he was the better option as he was more likely to sit back and act as a left sided central defender meaning Jags and Distin could concentrate more on the central positions. And by drawing Jenkinson further up the flank, it also leaves space in behind for us to exploit on the counter?

Just a thought like.

Your opinion mate at the end of the day.

Hardly worked though did it, can't remember one attack down our left yesterday so we didn't really take advantage of this space to exploit did we, with a static hibbo and a far from match fit Mirallas.

Surely a manager would want to stop the supply to the big centre forwards rather than deal with it once the cross has been put in.

Prevention is better than the cure.

Felt sorry for Garbutt after Roberto saying days ago that if Baines was'nt fit, that he would give Garbutt or Browning a game.
As it turned out Roberto was right, and Hibbo had a very good game..

The fact is it didn't work at all, and it was not a contributing factor to the 3 points, far from it. We won in spite of that crap call not because of it.
I suppose it depends on whether you look at left back in isolation or the team as a whole.
Just looking at left back in isolation, maybe it wasn't the best decision. And Hibbo at left back is definitely not something I want to see too often.
But looking at the team as a whole, of course it worked - we won. Would you rather we were talking about how we lost, but at least Garbutt played well?

Did you see the actual game lad?

Hibbert is never a left back and it showed, he was bloody awful there, which was highly predictable given he's got no left peg.

They put in plenty of balls from the wide areas, most of which came from Hibberts side, they could easily have made one of those opportunities pay if the quality of the balls had been fractionally better and the movement of their 2 grocks up front been more intelligent. So it was hardly down to the tactical genius of Martinez or the brilliance of Hibbo that they didn't make us pay

That's so ludicrously unfair to Martinez

Your argument rests solely on accepting that the eventual match result doesn't matter. The team won. How does that not vindicate Martinez's decision?

I wanted Garbutt to play, but I can't argue with the three points at the end of the day

Why has the omission of Garbutt exercised you so much, but the exclusion of other young players has not? Why now is Martinez deserving of the criticism and not when he doesn't play Lundstram, McAlney, Hope, Duffy, Kennedy, Springthorpe etc?

I suppose it depends on whether you look at left back in isolation or the team as a whole.
Just looking at left back in isolation, maybe it wasn't the best decision. And Hibbo at left back is definitely not something I want to see too often.
But looking at the team as a whole, of course it worked - we won. Would you rather we were talking about how we lost, but at least Garbutt played well?
If Garbutt had played well in the same side then why would we have lost?

Stupid argument that

That's so ludicrously unfair to Martinez

Your argument rests solely on accepting that the eventual match result doesn't matter. The team won. How does that not vindicate Martinez's decision?

I wanted Garbutt to play, but I can't argue with the three points at the end of the day

Why has the omission of Garbutt exercised you so much, but the exclusion of other young players has not? Why now is Martinez deserving of the criticism and not when he doesn't play Lundstram, McAlney, Hope, Duffy, Kennedy, Springthorpe etc?
It's not unfair at all, it's my opinion.

The result has nothing to with that particular call.

Garbutt is on a different level to the likes of Lundstram and Duffy, who aren't good enough, and he's likely to walk at the end of the season if he doesn't get some game time, that's why it irks me.

It's not unfair at all, it's my opinion.

The result has nothing to with that particular call.

Garbutt is on a different level to the likes of Lundstram and Duffy, who aren't good enough, and he's likely to walk at the end of the season if he doesn't get some game time, that's why it irks me.

How do you know he's on a different level?

Right now he's on the exact same level

He's a talented young pro trying to break into the first team

Again, if we'd lost and Hibbert was at fault, I'd understand your sentiment. However, we won and it's my opinion that it's a bit rum to use the omission of Garbutt as a stick to beat Martinez with

Again, if we'd lost and Hibbert was at fault, I'd understand your sentiment. However, we won and it's my opinion that it's a bit rum to use the omission of Garbutt as a stick to beat Martinez with

So all players in the club are on the exact same level? Every single player who is trying to break into the first team has the same potential?
Every single player is different and has different potential.

Just because we won doesn't mean things couldn't have been done better either.

How about I formed that opinion by watching him actually play? Novel idea I know

He's already an England U21 regular without getting a sniff of first team football with us and if you're sticking him in the same envelope as the likes of Lundstram then you can't have seen much of either of them.

I find your fan boy defence of Martinez daft to say the least, as I'm not using this as a stick to beat him with, I just think it was a crap call in isolation. It doesn't affect my view of Martinez or what he's doing in general, just on this one I think he got it wrong - the end.

Last edited:
Moyes would have been slaughtered for playing Hibbo left back and everyone knows it. He had a solid game, as despite the skeptics, that's what Hibbert does. However, we were painfully unbalanced in an attacking sense, and it begs the question for Garbutt - if not now, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.