Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defo not a game for Garbutt today, Roberto got that spot on. West Ham worked hard, they had players out and the way they set up Roberto should of known there was going to be a lot of work to be done, Hibbert was up for it. We needed experience in defense today, not youth.
There's no such thing as an easy game in the Premier League, every team we will come up against will work hard. Yes West Ham have been in good form but they're still a mid table team, that's were they'll finish.

Stones was given his debut against Chelsea and Browning made his in the Derby. Don't know why Garbutt wasn't given his chance, especially when we played Hibbo out of position in front of him.

The only possible reason I can think of is if Roberto knows Baines won't make the Wolfsburg. With Garbutt playing 90 minutes in both England internationals he wouldn't be up to another two games in the matter of only a few more games so he thought Hibbo would be better suited for the Hammers game and then Luke gets his chance to start in the Wolfsburg game. That still doesn't make a lot of sense as Wolfsburg away will probably be a harder game than West Ham at home. I just cannot think of any other reason why Roberto didn't play him.

not playing Garbutt today sent out a bad message, not only to Luke but to every youngster at the club. It was a Moyes
I concur from a stricly outsider view. No idea how it went down internally but it seemed to me 'I would much rather play this average player out of position than play you'.

Martinez has really confused me this year with his choices. With youth too especially since he has been bigging them up since he got here then puts 0 faith in them this season.

Again, the point about Hibbert handling himself is fair enough

However, Blockhead was making a point that he was experienced playing out of position

That's completely false. Playing on the left a bit in pre season does not make Hibbert experienced at doing it

How often has he done it for the first team in competitive games before today?

I'd hazard a guess that it's never. I'm sure @Allezfan will know. He's good with stats

Actually, I was saying that Hibbo is experienced enough enough to play out of position, not that he's done it regularly. He played in the centre of the defence when we went to Benfica if you recall.

I'm not suggesting that Hibbo is the answer to every situation, far from it, but he's capable and yesterday did a good job against a team who sooner or later we're going to get physical.

There's no such thing as an easy game in the Premier League, every team we will come up against will work hard. Yes West Ham have been in good form but they're still a mid table team, that's were they'll finish.

Stones was given his debut against Chelsea and Browning made his in the Derby. Don't know why Garbutt wasn't given his chance, especially when we played Hibbo out of position in front of him.

The only possible reason I can think of is if Roberto knows Baines won't make the Wolfsburg. With Garbutt playing 90 minutes in both England internationals he wouldn't be up to another two games in the matter of only a few more games so he thought Hibbo would be better suited for the Hammers game and then Luke gets his chance to start in the Wolfsburg game. That still doesn't make a lot of sense as Wolfsburg away will probably be a harder game than West Ham at home. I just cannot think of any other reason why Roberto didn't play him.

Hope this is right. All very well talking up the youth but words count for little if the actions don't match them.

Ridiculous decision by Roberto to play Hibbo and your definitely right in saying that he got away with it today luckily.

We had absolutely nothing attacking wise down our left hand side all game which invited Jenkinson down that flank all afternoon because he wasn't arsed about getting back defensively because he had nothing to do, luckily Jenkinson is as bad as Hibbo at attacking!

Feel sorry for Garbutt, it's not exactly going to breed confidence in him that he can't get in ahead of a washed up right back playing out of position
Sounds like you made your mind up and are trying to justify it. Are you sure it is "lucky" that Jenkinson is not very good at attacking? Maybe Martinez knows that (since he is paid a lot of money to know that kind of thing) and felt that Hibbert wouldn't be threatened or caught out of position, therefore he was the better option as he was more likely to sit back and act as a left sided central defender meaning Jags and Distin could concentrate more on the central positions. And by drawing Jenkinson further up the flank, it also leaves space in behind for us to exploit on the counter?

Just a thought like.

Defo not a game for Garbutt today, Roberto got that spot on. West Ham worked hard, they had players out and the way they set up Roberto should of known there was going to be a lot of work to be done, Hibbert was up for it. We needed experience in defense today, not youth.
He's a year older than Stones mate, age is not a valid reason for leaving him out.

The lads an England U21 International having represented England at every level during his development.

I can only conclude that he's had a spat with Martinez as picking Hibbert there ahead of him was not only mystifying but just plain inept imo

He's a year older than Stones mate, age is not a valid reason for leaving him out.

The lads an England U21 International having represented England at every level during his development.

I can only conclude that he's had a spat with Martinez as picking Hibbert there ahead of him was not only mystifying but just plain inept imo
Wow, my conclusion is that he made a very brave decision based on his knowledge of the oppositions strengths and weaknesses, as well as our own players strengths and weaknesses and was ultimately proved correct in that it took a huge amount of luck (massive deflection) in order to score against us. And we won. And fully deserved to. Therefore his tactics must have been good.

Wow, my conclusion is that he made a very brave decision based on his knowledge of the oppositions strengths and weaknesses, as well as our own players strengths and weaknesses and was ultimately proved correct in that it took a huge amount of luck (massive deflection) in order to score against us. And we won. And fully deserved to. Therefore his tactics must have been good.
Did you see the actual game lad?

Hibbert is never a left back and it showed, he was bloody awful there, which was highly predictable given he's got no left peg.

They put in plenty of balls from the wide areas, most of which came from Hibberts side, they could easily have made one of those opportunities pay if the quality of the balls had been fractionally better and the movement of their 2 grocks up front been more intelligent. So it was hardly down to the tactical genius of Martinez or the brilliance of Hibbo that they didn't make us pay

Did you see the actual game lad?

Hibbert is never a left back and it showed, he was bloody awful there, which was highly predictable given he's got no left peg.

They put in plenty of balls from the wide areas, most of which came from Hibberts side, they could easily have made one of those opportunities pay if the quality of the balls had been fractionally better and the movement of their 2 grocks up front been more intelligent. So it was hardly down to the tactical genius of Martinez or the brilliance of Hibbo that they didn't make us pay

Come on Hibbert wasn't awful and the vast majority of their crosses came from deep positions, they never got in behind him and crossed from the touch line.

He came in did the job asked of him and we won, what were people expecting? That suddenly after 10 years of watching Hibbert as a solid defensive playing right back with very little attacking instinct to move to leftback for one game and morph into Roberto Carlos?

Come on Hibbert wasn't awful and the vast majority of their crosses came from deep positions, they never got in behind him and crossed from the touch line.

He came in did the job asked of him and we won, what were people expecting? That suddenly after 10 years of watching Hibbert as a solid defensive playing right back with very little attacking instinct to move to leftback for one game and morph into Roberto Carlos?
Don't agree mate, and they did get past him on a number of occasions

I'm not criticising the player, I'm criticising the manager who picked him to play there, when he had an England U21 left back sat on the bench, whichever way you cut it it was an awful call and as I said last week, one that Moyes would have (rightly) been crucified for

Purely tactical I think; Garbutt is the little version of Baines, where his game is based on bombing forward, and with no second winger to help cover him Jenkinson would of had a field day running into all that space

Garbutt should make his debut behind Pienaar and with Barry playing, it's enough for him to bomb on and be protected

Status
Not open for further replies.