Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't agree mate, and they did get past him on a number of occasions

I'm not criticising the player, I'm criticising the manager who picked him to play there, when he had an England U21 left back sat on the bench, whichever way you cut it it was an awful call and as I said last week, one that Moyes would have (rightly) been crucified for

I think part of the managers thinking was down to the fact that we didn't have Pienaar available who naturally helps the left back with his tracking back, playing Mirallas in front of Garbutt would have left him exposed as Mirallas is never asked to cover but stay high up the pitch for when we get possession back. You wouldn't want a inexperienced player making his home debut exposed to that sort of pressure he'd have been obviously targeted and it could have caused irreparable damage to his development as a young player.

Yesterday's selections were all about necessity, we needed the points against a team above us in the league who are doing well and we've got an injury crisis and a lot of games coming up. Unfortunately for Garbutt is just wasn't the right time for him to step in but he'll get his chance soon enough.

Did you see the actual game lad?

Hibbert is never a left back and it showed, he was bloody awful there, which was highly predictable given he's got no left peg.

They put in plenty of balls from the wide areas, most of which came from Hibberts side, they could easily have made one of those opportunities pay if the quality of the balls had been fractionally better and the movement of their 2 grocks up front been more intelligent. So it was hardly down to the tactical genius of Martinez or the brilliance of Hibbo that they didn't make us pay
I agree it was an unusual selection, but I'm sure Martinez didn't choose Hibbert just for a laugh.
The fact is, it worked. We won. We got 3 points. Surely that is the real baromoter of it?

Come on Hibbert wasn't awful and the vast majority of their crosses came from deep positions, they never got in behind him and crossed from the touch line.

He came in did the job asked of him and we won, what were people expecting? That suddenly after 10 years of watching Hibbert as a solid defensive playing right back with very little attacking instinct to move to leftback for one game and morph into Roberto Carlos?

Thanks Doug, you saw pretty much what I saw. Hibbo did the job asked of him to the best of his out-of-comfort-zone ability.

I agree it was an unusual selection, but I'm sure Martinez didn't choose Hibbert just for a laugh.
The fact is, it worked. We won. We got 3 points. Surely that is the real baromoter of it?
The fact is it didn't work at all, and it was not a contributing factor to the 3 points, far from it. We won in spite of that crap call not because of it.

n but he'll get his chance soon enough.
Not so sure he will Dougie.

Baines is normally extremely fit and very good so will play the majority of our matches. Oviedo, as we saw last year, can do a superb job as his deputy and as soon he gets over his minor op he'll need gametime whenever Leighton is rested. Unless Oviedo is played out of position as a winger, doubt there will be many more chances for Garbutt in an Everton shirt in leauge matches.

Not so sure he will Dougie.

Baines is normally extremely fit and very good so will play the majority of our matches. Oviedo, as we saw last year, can do a superb job as his deputy and as soon he gets over his minor op he'll need gametime whenever Leighton is rested. Unless Oviedo is played out of position as a winger, doubt there will be many more chances for Garbutt in an Everton shirt in leauge matches.

I think he'll probably get his chance on Thursday, and I wouldn't be surprised if Baines isn't available next week against Spurs to see him start.

I think he'll probably get his chance on Thursday, and I wouldn't be surprised if Baines isn't available next week against Spurs to see him start.
Baines only got a grade 1 hamstring injury, unless the recovery goes badly the 13 days between it and the Germany game should be enough to see him play.

And the same lack of cover that you referenced will still probably apply for Wolfsburg - Barry might be able to start for Spurs but is a doubt any earlier and Pienaar's fitness has been erratic all year. Anyway Oviedo is also meant to be back this week.

Earliest I can see Garbutt getting another chance is playing Krasnodar at home if we get points in Germany that guarantee our progression.

Baines only got a grade 1 hamstring injury, unless the recovery goes badly the 13 days between it and the Germany game should be enough to see him play.

And the same lack of cover that you referenced will still probably apply for Wolfsburg - Barry might be able to start for Spurs but is a doubt any earlier and Pienaar's fitness has been erratic all year. Anyway Oviedo is also meant to be back this week.

Earliest I can see Garbutt getting another chance is playing Krasnodar at home if we get points in Germany that guarantee our progression.

I've stopped believing any of our estimated return dates to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Baines before Christmas!

Garbutt will play against Wolfsburg; as good as they are they are very narrow usually. They will only attack down the left if they do. Big game for him - they might put Perisic on the right for that reason though

Garbutt not being chosen yesterday is one of those situations where really we can only surmise the reason for his omission.

Some may say it easy to read too much into it, while others may say it is quite clear cut. Really we are yet to know.

A few of the lads at the match mentioned that Luke didn't play particularly well for England during the break, so maybe that swayed the decision.

Maybe he was carrying a slight knock or injury. Possibly Roberto believed against their muscle, we needed someone with guile and experience.

Yet, that is all inference - we are second guessing Bobby and luckily it worked; well to a point. Let's see what happens in the week or what he says.

However, if Baines isn't fit for Thursday and Tony is again chosen, I think it would add weight to the belief that Luke isn't yet good enough.

It was a really, really snidey game at times that. I wonder if Martinez saw it coming (not hard to predict against a Big Sam team) and decided to go with someone who would be able to handle themselves in that aspect of the game, and had the experience to keep a cool head while doing it?

If Garbutt had played, reacted badly to a rash challenge and got himself sent off, would we have held on to the three points? It nearly happened as it was....

I dunno. I'd like to see the lad given a chance, but I'm prepared to concede that Martinez probably has more football nouse than me as well as a far greater degree of access to the data required to make that decision.

Chill out lads, we won didn't we? Besides, maybe Martinez has put a cheeky few quid on Hibbo to break his duck this season and wants to give him every chance? :)

It was a really, really snidey game at times that. I wonder if Martinez saw it coming (not hard to predict against a Big Sam team) and decided to go with someone who would be able to handle themselves in that aspect of the game, and had the experience to keep a cool head while doing it?

If Garbutt had played, reacted badly to a rash challenge and got himself sent off, would we have held on to the three points? It nearly happened as it was....

I dunno. I'd like to see the lad given a chance, but I'm prepared to concede that Martinez probably has more football nouse than me as well as a far greater degree of access to the data required to make that decision.

Chill out lads, we won didn't we? Besides, maybe Martinez has put a cheeky few quid on Hibbo to break his duck this season and wants to give him every chance? :)

I was thinking that may be the reason, too.

While I still think he should have started Garbutt, Hibbert yet again gave a solid performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.