Last Night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second half was a nightmare but we'll just have to keep things in perspective. We all know the injury problems we have and how short we are at the back in Europe so we'll just have to put last night behind us. A win at Goodison on Nov 5 will see us with one foot in the next round.

The second half was a nightmare but we'll just have to keep things in perspective. We all know the injury problems we have and how short we are at the back in Europe so we'll just have to put last night behind us. A win at Goodison on Nov 5 will see us with one foot in the next round.

Exactly...we've got 2 home games now and 1 away against a team we beat 4-0. Benfica have 2 away games and 1 home.

Balls in our court.

Exactly...we've got 2 home games now and 1 away against a team we beat 4-0. Benfica have 2 away games and 1 home.

Balls in our court.

That's it KB..........................screw em all COYB.............here is hoping that the [Poor language removed] draw Benfica in the ko stages, they should just about qualify;)

It was sad to see we lost by that many goals, Benfica are a good team but honestly they are not that good, at least not a team we can't get a result from.

I hate to say it Hibbert good performance in CB was only a one off, CB would never be a position for him and last night match shows, felt sorry for Gosling & Coleman, they are simply not ready to be thrown into the deep end, Benfica was just too much for them to cope.

Distin was the only defender to be playing in his normal position and without a doubt the best defender for us on the night and the only one who could cope with Benfica attack. I truely felt sorry for him as he has done his best to keep them out, but there is only so much he could do on his own.

Howard, what can I say? Only Distin could help him last night and I couldn't see him did much wrong, he just have no protection from the defence, honestly if it wasn't for Distin and Howard we would have lost by more than 5 goals.

I still feel the player we picked last night was not totally wrong, the formation was not right, should have been something like this:-

------------------ Howard ------------------
-- Coleman --- Hibbert --- Distin --- Billy ----
--- Gosling --- Rodwell --- Cahill --- Jo ------
------------------ Fellaini ------------------
------------------ Yakubu -----------------

Billy has been playing in the LB for Russia when needed, and he would be much better than Coleman who is right-footer, who would be more suited in his natural position.

Cahill is a waste in the RM midfield position he must play in CM or ACM, and Gosling would have been better off than Cahill in the RM position, I certainly feel this formation would give us a better chance to have done better last night.

Overall, the reason we lost badly was completely to do with our defence and our midfield who are not winning enough possession in the center of the park and failure to create enough chances for the striker.

I won't be too disappointed with the result, as we were playing so many young inexperience player, I just hope Gosling, Coleman, Hibbert, Fellaini & Rodwell would not be too downhearted from it and they should learn from this experience and becoming a better player in the future.

Last edited:

No complaints here. We had a scratch defence out there against a team in its own league that cant stop scoring. As Neb said last 20 minutes of the first half we looked *in it* after a nervy start. The capitulation wasn't pretty but hey, there you go, that's European footy for you. You'll get ****ted by superior teams on the night. We did it to AZ Alkmaar on their midden and we tonked AEK.

Just two things to comment on specifically:

Coleman: I hope this lad isn't left to carry the can for the defeat. I saw some potential in amongst the ashes of his baptism of fire debut. Back in the reserves for him now and ease him back into first team action with some less high profile opposition.

Cahill: I've lost patience. Bench him first thing we get bodies back if he hasn't signifiicantly picked up form. He seems to be storing up all his effort for Australia these days. He's been like a chocolate teapot this season.

Because GOT was down I was on BlueKipper most of the day.....

Please, someone stop me from doing that again....please....I have seen the darkness.

You'd find it funny Goat.

Kipper is anything but funny, I havent been on for ages, I feel much better for it. Its a horrible, horrible place, true evil lives there.

It was sad to see we lost by that many goals, Benfica are a good team but honestly they are not that good, at least not a team we can't get a result from.

I hate to say it Hibbert good performance in CB was only a one off, CB would never be a position for him and last night match shows, felt sorry for Gosling & Coleman, they are simply not ready to be thrown into the deep end, Benfica was just too much for them to cope.

Distin was the only defender to be playing in his normal position and without a doubt the best defender for us on the night and the only one who could cope with Benfica attack. I truely felt sorry for him as he has done his best to keep them out, but there is only so much he could do on his own.

Howard, what can I say? Only Distin could help him last night and I couldn't see him did much wrong, he just have no protection from the defence, honestly if it wasn't for Distin and Howard we would have lost by more than 5 goals.

I still feel the player we picked last night was not totally wrong, the formation was not right, should have been something like this:-

------------------ Howard ------------------
-- Coleman --- Hibbert --- Distin --- Billy ----
--- Gosling --- Rodwell --- Cahill --- Jo ------
------------------ Fellaini ------------------
------------------ Yakubu -----------------

Billy has been playing in the LB for Russia when needed, and he would be much better than Coleman who is right-footer, who would be more suited in his natural position.

Cahill is a waste in the RM midfield position he must play in CM or ACM, and Gosling would have been better off than Cahill in the RM position, I certainly feel this formation would give us a better chance to have done better last night.

Overall, the reason we lost badly was completely to do with our defence and our midfield who are not winning enough possession in the center of the park and failure to create enough chances for the striker.

I won't be too disappointed with the result, as we were playing so many young inexperience player, I just hope Gosling, Coleman, Hibbert, Fellaini & Rodwell would not be too downhearted from it and they should learn from this experience and becoming a better player in the future.

I agree.

Especially with the formation. He played a 4-5-1 at home against Wolves but 4-4-2 away against an attacking side. I know we had problems but I said after the game we should've just packed the midfield and try and grind something out than incorporating 2 strikers.

Anyway, I hope its a good kick in the arse for players and manager.

And I'd honestly **** the carling cup off. Seriously a game that is not needed.

Last edited:
Everything about the inexperience and out-of-position-ness of our defence has already been said, but that midfield still needs to take a good hard look at itself. it's not our full strength midfield, but they're all players that \/\/ould like to BELIEVE they are in our first midfield, and they \/\/ere absolutely dire. gave the game a\/\/ay. no invention, no steel, no endeavour, nothing.

It's the whole "winning mentality" thing. We didn't NEED to win last night, so nobody really cared when we didn't. It's at these times when we're most likely to get battered. Remember 7-0 at Arsenal a few years ago when the game supposedly didn't mean anything?
Disappointing, but not really surprising.

I agree.

Especially with the formation. He played a 4-5-1 at home against Wolves but 4-4-2 away against an attacking side. I know we had problems but I said after the game we should've just packed the midfield and try and grind something out than incorporating 2 strikers.

Anyway, I hope its a good kick in the arse for players and manager.

And I'd honestly **** the carling cup off. Seriously a game that is not needed.

Carling cup game is a waste of time to us, especially when we have a game 2 days before it, why can't Arsenal play on Tuesday instead? Surely they could still be on TV on a Tuesday?

I have been saying this long ago, even before Pienaar arrival we must learn to build up attack when we are without creative player like Arteta, just because we have Pienaar now as well does not mean we don't need to learn how to build up attack with them.

Apart from tonight & Arsenal match, all the matches we have lost or drop points was not entirely to do with defence, as you can't expect them not to concede at all, the attacker must score a goal or two.

If the defence couldn't protect a two goal lead, then it was defence problem that we drop points, but clearly the build up play is the problem here, I am getting bored at saying it but I say it again; "We must learn to build up attacking play with or without Pienaar and Arteta."

We know some players have had serious injuries like Yak and Mikel. Buit one has to ask how is it that so many other players are picking up injuries and apparently regularly. Is therer is something in the training schedule that makes them vulnerable.

It just seems so strange to have so many in the treatment room.

We know some players have had serious injuries like Yak and Mikel. Buit one has to ask how is it that so many other players are picking up injuries and apparently regularly. Is therer is something in the training schedule that makes them vulnerable.

It just seems so strange to have so many in the treatment room.

Im hoping that Yobo, Baines and Bily's injuries are just precautions - light pulls so have been pulled from the game.

Osman's one is a worry. Could be out for a month.

Im hoping that Yobo, Baines and Bily's injuries are just precautions - light pulls so have been pulled from the game.

Osman's one is a worry. Could be out for a month.

I think if Pienaar are back for Bolton and with Arteta back available in 2~3 weeks, we could afford to be without Osman and remember Heitinga could play in the middle if needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.