Hypothetical Martinez question

Would we be in a better position right now with Martinez still in charge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was terrible, but we're hardly pulling up trees right now. His philosophy was bang on, it's just a shame he was deluded, had no plan B and lost the dressing room.

What makes you think that? He was great in his first season and then he fell apart.

His philosophy was based around possession football and not worrying too much about the defence. Possession football is pretty pointless when the passes don't lead to anything.

People shouldn't forget how bad things got under him. The worst case being that derby defeat at Anfield 4-0.

Possession 33%
Liverpool shots: 37, Everton 3
Liverpool shots on target 13, Everton 0
Liverpool corners: 9, Everton 1

And people make out like Big Sam is the sole reason for us going to grounds in the top 6 and rolling over. Quite clearly not true.

Moyes got Everton 7th or above 7 times in a decade with small net spend. He inherited a crap team don’t forget not a top 6 PL team.
He done well but couldn't break the glass ceiling or win at any of the top grounds to make a statement to the big clubs of the time.

Would we be in a better position right now if we had gritted our teeth and stuck with our wham spouting former manager?

No, chiefly because he neglected the fitness side of things. That is a prerequisite for any PL side.
He'd obviously have been helped by employing better coaches too.

I'd have loved him to lose the stubbornness and listen and adapt

What makes you think that? He was great in his first season and then he fell apart.

His philosophy was based around possession football and not worrying too much about the defence. Possession football is pretty pointless when the passes don't lead to anything.

People shouldn't forget how bad things got under him. The worst case being that derby defeat at Anfield 4-0.

Possession 33%
Liverpool shots: 37, Everton 3
Liverpool shots on target 13, Everton 0
Liverpool corners: 9, Everton 1

And people make out like Big Sam is the sole reason for us going to grounds in the top 6 and rolling over. Quite clearly not true.

not that I am in any way condoning that performance because that game was the worst I have ever seen, still remember the kopites shouting OLE when lucas was spraying the ball around, but wasn't that just before an FA cup semi ( or quarter maybe )

on a whole though he did at least give it ago away from home, he just didn't learn from his mistakes and didn't want to defend, something of which if he did he could be a top class manager

He did not win the Norwich game so it’s about 12th/13th when he was sacked.

I said he would relegate this club because his second and third season PL winning rate was 29.33% which was relegation form. He was sacked because of his second and third season with the club.
Ha Ha Ha. No. Miles off.

...but the man who was supposed to be his superior came in and left us in the relegation zone.

Remind yourself of that.

He inherited a top 6 team and they knew how to defend.

Martinez got found out in his 2nd and 3rd season that’s why he was sacked.
Got found out in his last two seasons...last English club in Europe, two domestic cup semi finals....more inconvenient truths.

He had to go because he couldn't or more likely wouldn't go into hunker down mode and play out of a crisis with defensive solidity.

Still, that doesnt bury the fact he had us playing some very pleasing football in the three seasons he was here.

And the worst of his tenure here was finishing 11th instead of 7th...NEA.

Ha Ha Ha. No. Miles off.

...but the man who was supposed to be his superior came in and left us in the relegation zone.

Remind yourself of that.

Dave I was talking about Martinez though. Based on his records in his 2nd and 3rd season while the results were deteriorating...I expect relegation if he stays on.

21 wins in 75 PL games.

I know he got 21 wins in his first season but the last 2 seasons had caused him his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.