First step to new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently we were close to getting them.

I can't remember who told me this so it means nothing, but I'm not making it up. Someone who deals in football business or something said that he was at the meeting where the Sheiks took City over, and we were there too, and basically it came down to the stadium and the fact that City were the first they talked to. Our boys must have been off at the buffet or something.

They wanted a club that had a nearby rival which was more successful (trophies and commercial), and then to take over the "smaller" club and rub the other's face in the dirt with it.

I can't even remember if it was on TV or I read it or someone ITK told me at Goodison... but I remember those words.

You're half right. Due to my work I am in regular contact with several members of the Abu Dhabi ruling family. I first met Mansour (and his party of hangers on) about 6 months after the City deal was done. It's usual in business here to have plenty of small talk before any work gets done and it came to football. He had no idea who I support, I asked him "Why City?" His answer?

"We looked at Everton, had conversations with people but recieved no encouragement to proceed."

They were close to not buying anybody until Thaksin Shinawatra (who lives in Dubai) got wind they were in the market and did a deal in about 2 weeks.

I think you will find that if there is any truth to this....we rejected him/them because at the time we were handcuffed by an "Exclusivity Agreement" with Knowsley Council for that farce that ensued.
So once again, if that was indeed the case, add that to the long list of f*** ups by our "Board"
155982_1.jpg

Could well have been the exclusivity agreement that was behind the "no encouragment to proceed."

As for "Rubbing noses in it" the only noses they want to rub are Dubai tourism and Emirates Airlines. They don't like seeing the Emirates Logo at every major sporting event and the Premier League was their first major push.

You're half right. Due to my work I am in regular contact with several members of the Abu Dhabi ruling family. I first met Mansour (and his party of hangers on) about 6 months after the City deal was done. It's usual in business here to have plenty of small talk before any work gets done and it came to football. He had no idea who I support, I asked him "Why City?" His answer?

"We looked at Everton, had conversations with people but recieved no encouragement to proceed."

They were close to not buying anybody until Thaksin Shinawatra (who lives in Dubai) got wind they were in the market and did a deal in about 2 weeks.

Could well have been the exclusivity agreement that was behind the "no encouragment to proceed."

As for "Rubbing noses in it" the only noses they want to rub are Dubai tourism and Emirates Airlines. They don't like seeing the Emirates Logo at every major sporting event and the Premier League was their first major push.
Makes sense. I do remember the talk around then being the "Exclusivity Agreement" screwed us over...or you can say the "Board" screwed us over yet again...

with FFP rules, even if we got investment, how can we spend £xxx m on a ground and not make more of a loss than is allowed? We barely break even as it is
Is there an allowance for building infrastructure or the like?

with FFP rules, even if we got investment, how can we spend £xxx m on a ground and not make more of a loss than is allowed? We barely break even as it is
Is there an allowance for building infrastructure or the like?
Spending on infrastructure is excluded from the FFP calculations

Im sure only the sheikhs of city and psg and ambramovich of chelsea have had any real success in buying a club and rising to the top in such short space of time.
Malaga failed with a sheikh. Vincent tan at cardiff, allam at hull, chinese fraudster at birmingham, shahid khan at fulham, hicks and gillet at Liverpool, hell even the yanks at united arent bulletproof.

Add the above to financial fair play and only the likes of Dortmund, Munich and maybe Arsenal are ahead of the rest in terms of FFP. Im not exactly sure were we stand in all of this. A new ground bringing in new sponsorship would be a start, however our current regime would probably renew chang deal for a extra contribution to the ground being built. Chang gives us £10m up front for ground build in exchange for another 3 years sponsorship. Its the everton way isnt it ?

Im sure only the sheikhs of city and psg and ambramovich of chelsea have had any real success in buying a club and rising to the top in such short space of time.
Malaga failed with a sheikh. Vincent tan at cardiff, allam at hull, chinese fraudster at birmingham, shahid khan at fulham, hicks and gillet at Liverpool, hell even the yanks at united arent bulletproof.

Add the above to financial fair play and only the likes of Dortmund, Munich and maybe Arsenal are ahead of the rest in terms of FFP. Im not exactly sure were we stand in all of this. A new ground bringing in new sponsorship would be a start, however our current regime would probably renew chang deal for a extra contribution to the ground being built. Chang gives us £10m up front for ground build in exchange for another 3 years sponsorship. Its the everton way isnt it ?
Allam has been very decent for Hull aside from the whole Tigers issue. One of my mates, the poor man is a Hull fan and has nothing bad to say about the Allam family aside from that.

Malaga failed with a sheikh. Vincent tan at cardiff, allam at hull, chinese fraudster at birmingham, shahid khan at fulham, hicks and gillet at Liverpool, hell even the yanks at united

Very well said. Be careful what you wish for

Allam has been very decent for Hull aside from the whole Tigers issue. One of my mates, the poor man is a Hull fan and has nothing bad to say about the Allam family aside from that.

I think the same about Allam, he has spent wisely IMO. I only mentioned him because of the badge issue, tan at cardiff because he changed the clubs colours or at least the home strip.

I honestly think Bill has done a good job the past few years. Cannot be knocked this past year, spending at last, financially stable and kicking off this stadium again.

Think some people just love to hate. Far worse owners out there right now.

Makes you think that there's more going on than we already know. Perhaps Bill and his bank manager are so sure of the stadium and/or new owner that money was no object when signing Rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.