Favorite moments of the moyes era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to say even though we didn't get through in the end I thought the Fiorentina game was one of the best Goodison nights in a long time, the atmosphere was boss and so were the team

Fiorentina was just incredible. Forever pains me that we didn't win that night, it was the best game I've ever been to

in no particular order, and not including on-pitch moments (of which there was a fair few):

- Moyes as soon as he joined saying he wants us challenging for titles
- correcting Neil Warnock (i think it was him) on some obscure football rule

and generally his unrivalled performance in the transfer market.

So many of his signings first run in the team have been exciting, like Colemans game against Spurs, Billy's first game where every cross seemed to connect, Barkleys debut where he hit the woodwork (or just wide can't quite remember)
4th after losing Rooney and everyone writing us off
Every European game
We do things the right way, with a bit of dignity and honor speech
Handbags with Mancini
Sounding out Radzinski in his first game when he subbed him and Radz went off in a huff, thinking here's a manager that takes no s**t
Rooneys first goal
Cup final run
Waking up to find out we've signed a 15mil pound Belgian
24mil for Lescott mwahahaha
The Jelavic run of form whilst it lasted was epically good
4-4 United was one of the most mental games I can remember
5-3 Blackpool
Every win against City, Chelsea, Spurs, United or Arsenal are great
The games where everyone was injured but we fielded a team of kids and reserves (aside from the European one we lost badly) and still came out on top.

For bringing a sense of belonging to the top half of the Prem - something we've only managed sporadically since Catterick (yeah, 3 seasons under Kendall and a little bit beyond but, let's be honest, 1971-2002 apart from 3 great years has been mostly a big struggle). We've not had this since Catterick so, even if it's not titles or cups it's still great to hold your heads up and stand toe to toe against the best.

We could beat anyone on our day - the style wasn't always great, the away performances not always pretty but we still got the job done. Not too many awful days home or away - for half a season (05-06) and the back end of 03-04 we were awful but that's not a lot in 11 years.

For all the great buys - Cahill, Arteta, Coleman, Baines, Jags, Fellaini etc etc - by far outweighing the disasters.

For turning players like Osman into internationals - getting the best of almost everyone who ever played for us.

For the way we took City on, and, as often or not, Chelsea and Spurs

For more highs that lows. For having bucket loads of dignity when all around him in football there is virtually none.

Nuremberg without a doubt! Wonderful felling, was in with the Gremans an it was boss, swaped scafs with one of them (still got it). Just unreal really felt we were gunna win the europa\uafa cup. Utd in the semi (the 3-3 at goodsion to!). Duncans winner vs Utd, an Carsley v the s###. Great times!

iVZFTFkI48GMn.gif

For bringing a sense of belonging to the top half of the Prem - something we've only managed sporadically since Catterick (yeah, 3 seasons under Kendall and a little bit beyond but, let's be honest, 1971-2002 apart from 3 great years has been mostly a big struggle). We've not had this since Catterick so, even if it's not titles or cups it's still great to hold your heads up and stand toe to toe against the best.

We could beat anyone on our day - the style wasn't always great, the away performances not always pretty but we still got the job done. Not too many awful days home or away - for half a season (05-06) and the back end of 03-04 we were awful but that's not a lot in 11 years.

For all the great buys - Cahill, Arteta, Coleman, Baines, Jags, Fellaini etc etc - by far outweighing the disasters.

For turning players like Osman into internationals - getting the best of almost everyone who ever played for us.

For more highs that lows. For having bucket loads of dignity when all around him in football there is virtually none.

Outstanding post and my favourite Moyes moment was the Andy Johnson derby.Like it or not people history will look kindly on David Moyes.The man will forever be an Everton legend.

That's a great post, Dan

Excellent stuff mate.

The tactical masterstroke to let Hibbo take the free-kick in his Testimonial!

Joking aside, the '09 cup run was amazing and I loved every game. Shame we didn't win, but it felt good to be in with a shout.

And perhaps a less obscure way of rememberig Moyes, but the secnd half of last season was brilliant. We were terrible and stank every ground we played at out until Jan. Then Moyes got a few quid to play with and worked his magic. A tired looking team was rejuvinated. And that is one of Moyes' enduring qualities: he managed to pick the team up when they were down (and yes there are arguments he contributed to the down, but we'll leave them alone in this thread).

FA Cup Semi Final against Man Utd, amazing scenes, tears in my eyes at 5am in the morning.

The 3-0 win against liverpool is up there. The most important were the games against Villarreal which unfortunately we lost. I also enjoyed the games against Fiorentina,which again we lost.

I think he gave all the younger fans a real sense of what it means to be Everton, a real connection that money couldn't buy and a word you would bet your life on, will be hard to anyone else to do with us I imagine.

Obviously we've had plenty of boss moments though, we're Everton, personal favorite Goslings wonder goal which he totally meant and the massive orgy that followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.