Everton Youth Teams Thread

…of course they’re not, but our best talent in recent times are introduced into the squad.

Osman & Barkley the two obvious exceptions, although both had significant injury at key moments in their development. Gordon appears to be working fine but it is a rarity.

Plenty of our youngsters go on loan each season but they almost never have a lengthy career with us.
I think you have the basis of a decent point (I agree that for dobbin it’s not a good sign if he isn’t seen as even a decent bench option at this point) but this logic really doesn’t help you because it’s massively flawed. You don’t like loans, we get it, but trying to shoehorn this Barkley and osman thing in every time to try and support the point just doesn’t work - not least because it’s not even true.

I think you have the basis of a decent point (I agree that for dobbin it’s not a good sign if he isn’t seen as even a decent bench option at this point) but this logic really doesn’t help you because it’s massively flawed. You don’t like loans, we get it, but trying to shoehorn this Barkley and osman thing in every time to try and support the point just doesn’t work - not least because it’s not even true.

….i look at academy players who have gone on loan before playing 50 games for Everton, very few achieve that milestone. Barclay and Osman are a rarity going back as far as I can remember. I watched Osman lots coming through, probably only Rooney had more natural ability but he was late breaking into the side, less so Barkley.

Poster @atrottel has facilitated a ‘players on loan’ thread for many years. Sadly, virtually none ever have a career at Everton. The likes of Davies and Kenny tend to join the squad. We can add Gordon to the list with Barkley and Osman but they are as rare as hens teeth.

I’m not a fan of loan moves, Barkley’s and Gordon were hardly a success & some players can actually go backwards.

….i look at academy players who have gone on loan before playing 50 games for Everton, very few achieve that milestone. Barclay and Osman are a rarity going back as far as I can remember. I watched Osman lots coming through, probably only Rooney had more natural ability but he was late breaking into the side, less so Barkley.

Poster @atrottel has facilitated a ‘players on loan’ thread for many years. Sadly, virtually none ever have a career at Everton. The likes of Davies and Kenny tend to join the squad. We can add Gordon to the list with Barkley and Osman but they are as rare as hens teeth.
Kenny had loans.

I’m not a fan of loan moves, Barkley’s and Gordon were hardly a success & some players can actually go backwards.
Gordon, Kenny and Barkley all had loans.

The only one I can think of who hasn’t gone on loan is Davies.

England had 5 outfield players in their euros squad from non big 6 academys who were loaned out prior to 'making it'. Theyve accumulated over £330 milllion in transfer fees since them loans.

This is why I didn't really get the Haha look at Small stuff as well really. Young players go on loan a lot. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't matter.

….after he broke into the first team.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I just don’t see it as a positive for Dobbin and Onyango.
At the time of Kennys premier league debut he had already been on loan twice. You can't just say things haha

Yes I know. So as has been pointed out, more of the players who’ve recently come through and played 50 games for us have been out on loan than not, so your oft repeated mantra just doesn’t make any sense.

…we can add Kenny to the list as the few games he played towards the end of last season means he played exactly 50 games.

@Eggs Do you think it's more beneficial for Dobbin and Onyango to be training with the Everton first time in the hope of making the bench and maybe getting some game time, plus the occasional U23s outing, or do you think being in a gritty competitive league with the increased prospect of starting most matches and playing regularly with and against men, gaining experience and exposure is perhaps what these young lads need right now to add strings to their bows and come back to Goodison more rounded players and young men..? How is a loan NOT the absolute best option for their development?