Everton Youth Teams Thread

Well I know you’ve used this argument before mate , that the manager can’t rate them if he sends them on loan, but Lampard’s thinking is certainly sound on paper . Onyango and Dobbin are 19 , and no they won’t be regular starters in our first team this season , so an appropriate loan would be a good option. The nice thing is we’re getting them through early , Warrington too, if we’re able to say at 19 they’ve had good experience at u21 and are now ready for mens football it beats where we were a few years ago when 19 was often the start of their u23s career.

….the problem is, our youngsters will often struggle for game time, even in lower leagues. Managers and coaches will not be looking after their development in the cut and thrust of competitive football. It’s just as likely they go backwards.

If Dobbin was a real talent, he’d be pushing for game time in this poor squad. We have few players with running power in midfield yet Onyango goes on loan.

i just don’t think the signs are good for their chances when our best youngsters go out on loan.

….the problem is, our youngsters will often struggle for game time, even in lower leagues. Managers and coaches will not be looking after their development in the cut and thrust of competitive football. It’s just as likely they go backwards.

If Dobbin was a real talent, he’d be pushing for game time in this poor squad. We have few players with running power in midfield yet Onyango goes on loan.

i just don’t think the signs are good for their chances when our best youngsters go out on loan.
Well, we could go round and round on this. I like Lampard’s approach, this is what he said a few weeks ago:

“ The case for every young player is different,” said Lampard.

“As a club, we have to find a balance between having a strong academy, in terms of the teams we put out, because we are Everton, they have to stay strong – but also thinking about the important part of every player’s personal development and whether can they make the First Team.

“In most cases, the best route is to go out and play. Most players can really benefit from going away and playing football on loan, in the Championship and, sometimes, in foreign leagues.

“I am very open to that.

“Unless we feel their development is best served here in the Academy, or they are touching the First Team – sometimes you want players training with you daily, so you feel you can affect them here – it can be the right time to go out.

“We – myself and Kevin Thelwell [Director of Football] – will be very ‘on’ those situations.”

Well, we could go round and round on this. I like Lampard’s approach, this is what he said a few weeks ago:

“ The case for every young player is different,” said Lampard.

“As a club, we have to find a balance between having a strong academy, in terms of the teams we put out, because we are Everton, they have to stay strong – but also thinking about the important part of every player’s personal development and whether can they make the First Team.

“In most cases, the best route is to go out and play. Most players can really benefit from going away and playing football on loan, in the Championship and, sometimes, in foreign leagues.

“I am very open to that.

“Unless we feel their development is best served here in the Academy, or they are touching the First Team – sometimes you want players training with you daily, so you feel you can affect them here – it can be the right time to go out.

“We – myself and Kevin Thelwell [Director of Football] – will be very ‘on’ those situations.”

…which is pretty much what I’m saying.

‘Unless their development is best served here, or they are touching the first team - sometimes you want players training with you daily, so you feel you can affect them here’.

We have a very ordinary first team squad, yet the manager sends two of our brightest prospects on loan. It suggests to me that if they can’t break into the perimeters of this team then it’s unlikely they ever will.

‘Unless their development is best served here, or they are touching the first team - sometimes you want players training with you daily, so you feel you can affect them here’.

We have a very ordinary first team squad, yet the manager sends two of our brightest prospects on loan. It suggests to me that if they can’t break into the perimeters of this team then it’s unlikely they ever will.

Weird to think players are the finished product at 19

Err, i doubt that you and Frank are agreeing given you’ve selectively left out his” – it can be the right time to go out.” from your quote. Anyway , if you really believe that unless youngsters are in the first team at 19 “ then it’s unlikely they ever will.” I give up .

Weird to think players are the finished product at 19

…of course they’re not, but our best talent in recent times are introduced into the squad.

Osman & Barkley the two obvious exceptions, although both had significant injury at key moments in their development. Gordon appears to be working fine but it is a rarity.

Plenty of our youngsters go on loan each season but they almost never have a lengthy career with us.

Err, i doubt that you and Frank are agreeing given you’ve selectively left out his” – it can be the right time to go out.” from your quote. Anyway , if you really believe that unless youngsters are in the first team at 19 “ then it’s unlikely they ever will.” I give up .

….I’m using our record as evidence. It’s very rare that loanees go on to play 50 first team games for us. Historically our best are introduced to the squad because we don’t have depth in quality of clubs like Chelsea.

I’m not writing these lads off, I’m suggesting it’s not a positive sign when the squad is so weak that they are not being considered.

I certainly don’t understand Dobbin going out on loan, a forward with pace, good control. dribbling ability and capable of a few goals and it’s as if we overloaded with these type of players, he definitely should be on the bench when not playing for the U21’s.

I certainly don’t understand Dobbin going out on loan, a forward with pace, good control. dribbling ability and capable of a few goals and it’s as if we overloaded with these type of players, he definitely should be on the bench when not playing for the U21’s.

…he’s effective coming off the right side, a position we’re weak in. I just don’t think it’s a positive that the Manager doesn’t want to utilise him.

….I’m using our record as evidence. It’s very rare that loanees go on to play 50 first team games for us. Historically our best are introduced to the squad because we don’t have depth in quality of clubs like Chelsea.

I’m not writing these lads off, I’m suggesting it’s not a positive sign when the squad is so weak that they are not being considered.
I mean it's very rare *any* of our youth products make it to 50 games.

I'm not a fan of loans but you cant dismiss Osman and Barkley as exceptions due to injury and then also ignore Dobbin and Onyango have both had 9+ months out each as well before turning 19.

I mean it's very rare *any* of our youth products make it to 50 games.

I'm not a fan of loans but you cant dismiss Osman and Barkley as exceptions due to injury and then also ignore Dobbin and Onyango have both had 9+ months out each as well before turning 19.

….nobody will be happier than me if either/both have a future with us but I don’t see it as a positive if they are leaving this squad when both play in positions we are particularly vulnerable in.

Hopefully I’m wrong but I fear not.

Yeah you’ve used the Osman/ Barkley / only ones to go on loan and play 50 games for us for years, and it still doesn’t make much sense to me . You can now add Jonjoe Kenny and likely this season Gordon as ones going on loan and making 50 appearances and it still makes no sense.

How about if we turn it around. ? How many players in recent years have not gone on loan and played 50 matches for us? Only Tom Davies by my reckoning, and many reckon he needed a loan to boost his career . So if I use your 50 games logic , with Kenny and Gordon having been on loan and only Davies not being loaned, then we’ve had twice as much success with loans as with players not loaned. And it still doesn’t make sense.

Sorry mate , I prefer Frank’s logic to yours : ““ The case for every young player is different,” said Lampard.”

It’s hard to bring youngsters into a team under pressure. It’s also a very big step up from youth football to the PL. Players have to be exceptional to break into a pL team without loans to develop them.

It’s hard to bring youngsters into a team under pressure. It’s also a very big step up from youth football to the PL. Players have to be exceptional to break into a pL team without loans to develop them.

…players do have to be exceptional to break into the first team at Everton, but those that do tend not to have been on loan.