Everton Youth Teams Thread

@Eggs Do you think it's more beneficial for Dobbin and Onyango to be training with the Everton first time in the hope of making the bench and maybe getting some game time, plus the occasional U23s outing, or do you think being in a gritty competitive league with the increased prospect of starting most matches and playing regularly with and against men, gaining experience and exposure is perhaps what these young lads need right now to add strings to their bows and come back to Goodison more rounded players and young men..? How is a loan NOT the absolute best option for their development?

…going on loan is rarely as straightforward as some think. Youngsters have to settle into a new club in a new area, often leaving home for the first time. Invariably they are dropping down a league or two so they’ll no longer be training with top coaches and seasoned internationals.

You’re right in suggesting they are suddenly in a very competitive environment where the expectation is that they will be selected but points are so vital, they will not have as much leeway to make mistakes. Their new Manager and teammates will be less protective of their development. It is very much sink or swim & many struggle for game time.

Barkley went to Neil Warnock who’d been told by Moyes that he couldn’t be trusted to work defensively. Warnock soon discovered that himself and he was out the team. Gordon wasn’t a regular at Preston, so I do think they’d have been better off continuing their development at Everton.

Even if a loan is regarded as excellent (Liam Walsh at Yeovil springs to mind), it doesn’t translate to getting games for us. Players can actually go backwards, Brendan Galloway looked a decent prospect breaking into our first team but disappeared after his loan.

I’m not against loans per Se, but history at our club suggests it isn’t the La La Land some expect.

…going on loan is rarely as straightforward as some think. Youngsters have to settle into a new club in a new area, often leaving home for the first time. Invariably they are dropping down a league or two so they’ll no longer be training with top coaches and seasoned internationals.

You’re right in suggesting they are suddenly in a very competitive environment where the expectation is that they will be selected but points are so vital, they will not have as much leeway to make mistakes. Their new Manager and teammates will be less protective of their development. It is very much sink or swim & many struggle for game time.

Barkley went to Neil Warnock who’d been told by Moyes that he couldn’t be trusted to work defensively. Warnock soon discovered that himself and he was out the team. Gordon wasn’t a regular at Preston, so I do think they’d have been better off continuing their development at Everton.

Even if a loan is regarded as excellent (Liam Walsh at Yeovil springs to mind), it doesn’t translate to getting games for us. Players can actually go backwards, Brendan Galloway looked a decent prospect breaking into our first team but disappeared after his loan.

I’m not against loans per Se, but history at our club suggests it isn’t the La La Land some expect.
A loan is 100% a test of character away from the safety of the club that has nurtured the player for many years. I would say if a player struggles with going to an unfamiliar environment and starts to buckle under the pressure while on loan then they wouldn't have what it takes to be an Everton first team player anyway.

Gordon was injured while on loan wasn't he - so it wasn't being on loan that halted his progress, if you think it was halted at all? I mean he returned and now look at him!

the 1 and only player (davies) who has actually played multiple games for the first team without going on loan ironically benefited from walsh being out on loan when he got his chance due to injuries.

Be it a brief cameo, but thought Warrington again showed that he can pick up the ball from the CB and keep it moving.

I think he has proven over the pre season that he is definitely an option off the bench and to develop by training with the first time and getting some minutes as a sub.

I hope he doesn’t go out on loan.

Missed the Wednesday debate.. one I love to get into.. I’ve always been on the going on loan is out of sight out of of mind camp..

But you have made me think who has made it not going on loan.. but then it occurred to me that going on loan has been (by and large) the modus operandi of the club for years.. whether they player should or not it’s what we do.
So saying who didn’t go on loan is very hard to find.

But loans I feel show a lack of intent at a certain point of inclusion in the first team. However if the player is still a teenager then I feel they may still have a role or be in the managements mind for the future.

But take Simms.. he’s done. Being sent on loan in your 20s is the club trying to market you. He had an extraordinary youth career and is one of the few that has had successful loan spells but every time I see Rondon running out on the pitch my eyes bleed and I lose hope in any of the youth being given a shot.. Dobbin I fear is about to be the next Broadhead.. but I’ll give him one more year before I call it.
If I was one of these lads I would stick around and show I can put the ball passed Pickford in practice just as well as anyone

A loan is 100% a test of character away from the safety of the club that has nurtured the player for many years. I would say if a player struggles with going to an unfamiliar environment and starts to buckle under the pressure while on loan then they wouldn't have what it takes to be an Everton first team player anyway.

Gordon was injured while on loan wasn't he - so it wasn't being on loan that halted his progress, if you think it was halted at all? I mean he returned and now look at him!
Gordon wasn’t injured. Preston got into relegation difficulty and a new manager came in who changed their system. He didnt really fit the new system and didn’t get another game.

The Preston fans really liked him though.

Be it a brief cameo, but thought Warrington again showed that he can pick up the ball from the CB and keep it moving.

I think he has proven over the pre season that he is definitely an option off the bench and to develop by training with the first time and getting some minutes as a sub.

As it stands, he has to stay as we’re so light there. If we bring in 1-2 in the middle think he’ll go on loan now and if not now certainly January.

The Lampard/ Thirwell thinking on Warrington will be interesting. I would imagine from last season and pre season that there are a number of clubs lining up to take him on loan and Thirwell will be working out the best option. Lampard has aired his views on working with the first team/ going on loan so it will be how he sees it. Warrington has always had something different from our other young midfielders in his style of play, for me his energy fits into Lampard‘s style of play if coming off the bench better than say Price/Onyango.