Everton vs Zenit St Petersburg 5/12/07 - 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on the game was that as a striking partnership, McF and AJ does not work. Really wondering if McF should be moved on and also have to admit thinking along those lines for AJ.

As for Jags, has he ever put in a good showing anytime he has played? Is it perhaps becoming evident that this was a poor buy as he appears to be hopelessly out of his depth.

Thanks to Timmy we won and are now onto the next level, so when is the draw? Does anyone know?

All the information regarding date and possible opponents in here Robert

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=633109.html

My take on the game was that as a striking partnership, McF and AJ does not work. Really wondering if McF should be moved on and also have to admit thinking along those lines for AJ.

As for Jags, has he ever put in a good showing anytime he has played? Is it perhaps becoming evident that this was a poor buy as he appears to be hopelessly out of his depth.

Thanks to Timmy we won and are now onto the next level, so when is the draw? Does anyone know?

Why do you think we should get rid of AJ?! Sometimes you baffle me Robert

hmm... you are saying this partnership don't work base on 1 game that's not exactly fair, whether than the partnership is not working there defence are very tight or should i say rather than going for the ball they are going for our player and after our player force to shift there legs then they take the ball!

Mcf ball control ain't too bad and lack of support is the problem why AJ and Mcf not being effective enough!

Great result but honestly, other than a few moments, the game put me to sleep.

If I were a Zenit fan, I'd have been absolutely pissed at the handball, red card, penalty call. Horrendous.

Arteta, Pienaar, Carsley, & Lescott did well for me.

Jags, Cahill, Faddy, and AJ pretty much anonymous.

Good news is that we can use a "2nd string" squad against Alkmaar, thereby giving some starters a rest and getting some young blood into a big match.

In fact, I'd like to see a starting lineup like this against AZ:

........................Wessels...........................

Hibbert........Jagielka.......Boyle.........Valente

.........................Neville...........................

Van Der Meyde.................................Baines

........................Gravesen.........................

..............Anichebe..............Vaughan...........

or something to that effect.

Last edited:
Look at previous games, has this partnership really succeeded at all? There is already a thread on McF , should he go or not but there was also one on AJ if you recall about perhaps letting him go at a reasonable price. I said before on a thread or two that AJ looked to be too lightwieght and unable to hold off defenders.

Agree with comments on Jags last night. Lescott played the role of both central defenders at times - he has to. Not convinced Jags is a bust, though, he did OK when he came on as a sub in central defence a few weeks ago. But last night he was woeful.

Anyone else notice that our best passer of the ball was Cahill? More withdrawn in a 442, but always used the ball well in midfield.

I had a great view form the upper bullens, and i thought cahill was playing very deep, he was along side carsley for the majority of the match

I had a great view form the upper bullens, and i thought cahill was playing very deep, he was along side carsley for the majority of the match

I only saw the second half, but from what i saw he wasn't the only one. I know we only needed a draw, but to me playing against 10 men you should be pushing up on them with your centre backs holding the ball on the halfway line not too of your most offensively capable players.

I think we played tonight somewhere in the middle of what many here are posted. Neither as bad as (most -ve person in the world atm :p) Suits says, but not aswell as some others have posted. We obviously had both some good and bad luck, some fairly decent passages of play, and some poor lapses at the back.

The lack of movement for me was disappointing. When we had the ball even with an extra man we seemed to find it difficult to pass to a man in space many times, yet they seemed to find it in abundance when they came forward, even when largely outnumbered.

I did want to say something else... only i forget what it was... more to follow perhaps...

I think now were top of the group, and the result wont matter against AZ, we should start with vaughan and anichebe!! give them a full match, play gravesen too...

So...Fulham Thread anyone?

I think now were top of the group, and the result wont matter against AZ, we should start with vaughan and anichebe!! give them a full match, play gravesen too...

So...Fulham Thread anyone?

i wouldn't mind if they gave some of the really young boys (rodwell, vidarsson, jutkiewics, or however the [Poor language removed] you spell it) a nod too, might as well. it'd be nice to see what the future holds for us

Last edited:
i wouldn't mind if they gave some of the really young boys (rodwell, vidarsson, jutkiewics, or however the [Poor language removed] you spell it) a nod too, might as well. it'd be nice to see what the future holds for us

Although I love to give some of our potential young player with some experience against a top side!

I feel we could allow no more than 3 young player in starting line up, so if things turn out badly we could change things round, like giving Arteta and the striker a rest on the bench!

So, it would be great if Moyes try some young player upfront and may be vidarsson as one of 5 men midfield and may be Ruddy or Turner in goal!

Graveson needs some games. Like to see Boyle in their. Maybe for the AK game Anichebe & Vaughan up front. Need to exhaust Pienaar, Yobo and Vic short term. Don't think Yak and Berti will make up. See him staying myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.