Everton v Villareal 5th aug 19:45 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

when i score we riot

Player Valuation: £35m
So i'm taking the liberty of starting a match thread 7 hours before kick off. Because i'm bored of today's work and am gasping for royal blue air. Honestly i can't wait till the season starts, no matter the circumstances.

So alright. Match is available on ITV4, Channel 9 (wherever that is - france?) and EvertonTV. Time to get revenge for the 2005 debacle. Since today's ref is someone completely different from The Best Adidas-Endorsed Ref In The World, we might get hammered.

c5bea3f4c366e3eed64b0b260a33_grande.jpg

Neither Riquelme or Arteta will be lining up for us today.

Our last game in preseason is also the toughest, as our hip-to-be-square assman Roundy has pointed out, while Moyes is actively shunning any attention. In addition to Rossi and Nilmar, Villareal can boast a powerful midfield with the likes of Borja Valero, captain Marcos Senna, and no.10 winger Cani who once threw a water bottle at The Special One. In defence we find FM favourites Zapata and Musacchio as well as Carlos Marchena, spanish national team veteran.

Forecasts are warning posession football and tiki-taka-ism from the fourth best team in spanish football, but i don't think we should belittle ourselves too much. Even though it's just a friendly, this is Goodison. If we have any intention of making it a fortress, we better start now.

Round also noted that the point of the game is to give everyone a little bit of minutes, and that some players yet have to earn these. Which implies we might see some heavy rotation in the starting lineup. Here's what we turned up with last time:

Mucha [Howard 46],
Hibbert [Coleman 59], Jagielka, Distin, Baines,
Heitinga [Vellios 80], Osman, Cahill, Barkley [Neville 59],
Anichebe [Saha 46], Beckford [Bilyaletdinov 65]

Once more combining the 451 in defence, 442 in attack approach, i just hope we'll give Chebe a rest this time, as we too often have resorted to hoofing it up in his direction. Does anyone think this will hold up against a team of Villareal's stature? I'd dread guessing.

While the status of our nigerians remains insecure, i'd put a gamble on Yakubu in the matchday setup - at least on the bench. Gueye has been on a break and i predict him starting alongside Billy and Neville. Rodwell needs some more game time if actually available, and i'd give Baxter the same chance of getting some much-needed attention. One would guess his technichal prowess would match up good against the spaniards. Judging by that, here's my loosely predicted lineup:

Howard​
Neville - Jags - Distin - Baines
Rodwell - Ossie​
Baxter - Bilyaletdinov - Gueye
Saha​
Bench: Mucha, Vellios, Beckford, Yakubu, Cahill, Heitinga, Barkley, Anichebe, Coleman, Hibbert

Mustafi might be on the bench, if we won't see Yobo getting some kind of respect. With Duffy going on loan, our defensive cover is nonexistent. Cue injury to Jags in the upcoming aug. 10th friendly.

Dare i suggest a 2-2 draw and good times had by all? Bring the predictions.

EDIT: LINEUP RELEASED, 1 HOUR PRIOR TO GAME, AS FOLLOWS

Howard​
Neville - Jagielk - Distin - Baines
Coleman - Fellaini - Rodwell - Barkley
Anichebe - Saha.​
Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Beckford, Cahill, Yakubu, Vellios, Baxter.

Not sure who is on what wing, but i imagine Barkley or Anichebe will be occupying the left, with Chebe dropping further up towards goal when we're in possession.

Pour yourself a pint and enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to hear coming from you, our usual MC for match evenings.

I see now the list of names on the bench is a bit long, but as long as the young'uns are willing to sit in the seasoned veteran's laps, there'll be room in the dugout. Good way of static training, will make your buttocks look great. If you're on the bottom. If you're on top, well, lets say you might suffer the same kind of back pains as those that RFUS experiences after waking up from one of those way-too-real dreams about Vellios.

I'm off to this with the old man, Upper Bullens. Literally buzzing for the match, first game back at Goodison after a long and depressing summer. 3-2 win to wash the depression away, COYB.

I like your lineup. Based on history, long are the odds of Bily being played in the middle or behind the front man.

Revenge? Let's wait till we meet in the champs league qualifier again and the best referee in the world costs them a lucrative place in the group stages. We'll never get revenge really, especially not in a pre season friendly. Plus, it's collina I want revenge against not these walking bananas

Status
Not open for further replies.