Everton player you disliked the most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only being a blue for a bit but Neville always got on my tits (starting following around 2009).

Osman a fair bit but phil Neville soars miles and miles clear.

Despised him, horrible little lickspittle

You're far from alone, regardless that some round here believe you're only saying that to appear cool.

I really never hated or despised him, I find those words just too harsh. But I remember when it was confirmed we first signed him. Both Neville brothers were already passed their best, and Gary was always the superior player. Yet we end up with the inferior one the season after finishing 4th. I wasn't pleased, and a year or so later he was made captain.

We never troubled top 4 again.

One school of thought has it that one of your strongest players should be captain, as it riles the troops in matching their performances to their leader. When one of your worst players is captain, it encourages mediocrity.

Moyes seemingly picked him as captain as he was more of an ally to him rather than a force on the pitch. Moyes himself used to be very optimistic and positive about his plans for us, but he began his descent into negativity soon after making Neville the leader of our team.

There's a lesson in that somewhere...

You're far from alone, regardless that some round here believe you're only saying that to appear cool.

I really never hated or despised him, I find those words just too harsh. But I remember when it was confirmed we first signed him. Both Neville brothers were already passed their best, and Gary was always the superior player. Yet we end up with the inferior one the season after finishing 4th. I wasn't pleased, and a year or so later he was made captain.

We never troubled top 4 again.

One school of thought has it that one of your strongest players should be captain, as it riles the troops in matching their performances to their leader. When one of your worst players is captain, it encourages mediocrity.

Moyes seemingly picked him as captain as he was more of an ally to him rather than a force on the pitch. Moyes himself used to be very optimistic and positive about his plans for us, but he began his descent into negativity soon after making Neville the leader of our team.

There's a lesson in that somewhere...

Not sure I agree with much of your post (bar the sentiment), but Neville once claimed he would walk around the club museum and marvel at our history.

He was then asked on soccer am a few years later when was the club founded. He hadn't a clue, despite running around with it on his chest while being grossly overpaid relative to his ability.

Total and utter fraud.

I love Everton and would support anyone wearing our blue shirt, but I couldn't stand Neville.

Not sure I agree with much of your post (bar the sentiment), but Neville once claimed he would walk around the club museum and marvel at our history.

He was then asked on soccer am a few years later when was the club founded. He hadn't a clue, despite running around with it on his chest while being grossly overpaid relative to his ability.

Total and utter fraud.

I love Everton and would support anyone wearing our blue shirt, but I couldn't stand Neville.

Yikes...didn't know about him fluffing the 1878 question. That's poor. I can understand a couple of the young foreign newer lads never having heard of Dixie Dean. But a captain of Everton should know basic facts about our club.

At this rate, unique mentions of Neville may see him overtake Barmby as our most disliked player.

Neville!!! Used to think he was a solid player, decent "professional", had a bit of fight and seamed like a decent bloke with his EITC work. But his last season and a half I despised the man, awful footballer negative attitude and poor captain. His attitude towards the club stank. I found him belittling, he loved to spread the plucky little Everton tag. With him as captain theirs no wonder we always bottled everything.

I don't hate Deulofeu

I just wish he wasn't such a selfish little berk is all and realised he was playing a team game and not FIFA 99 during reading week at Uni

Hahaha bloody hell, if I'd realised you irrationally hated Deulofeu then I wouldn't have taken your Neville rebuttal seriously! lol

Total and utter fraud.

Says it all right there. Didn't know that but not surprised by it in the slightest.

He was a con artist. "Mr. Nice Guy" to further his career. Like the fat bloke with glasses from The Office, but 1000% less funny and more detestable.

My genuine dislikes are reserved for 3 right-backs, for different reasons.

Gary Stevens - allowing the RS back into the 86 Cup Final and being joining Sourness at Castle Greyskull.

His departure also allowed us to get the next one on my list..

Neil McDonald - Not sure how many penos he gave away (he missed one or two for us, as well), and I thought he was the worst player I had ever seen, until....

Paul Holmes - I just feared for mankind when I saw his name on the teamsheet. Without a doubt the worst player I have seen at GP. Some players get away with being disliked because they try their best, but with Holmes you never knew if he was trying or not because he was that bad.

Neil McDonald - Not sure how many penos he gave away (he missed one or two for us, as well), and I thought he was the worst player I had ever seen, until....

Paul Holmes - I just feared for mankind when I saw his name on the teamsheet. Without a doubt the worst player I have seen at GP. Some players get away with being disliked because they try their best, but with Holmes you never knew if he was trying or not because he was that bad.

Yikes, I've got a blind spot with Holmes and McDonald...don't seem to remember them at all. Just checked Wiki to refresh and both played for us since I've been following, still drawing a blank.

Getting old, lads...

Status
Not open for further replies.