Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so the defenders we have are suddenly awful players because of a couple of bad games? What next? Whenever a player has a bad game we clamour to sign a replacement?

Goodness, I hope you never have a bad day at work or you'll be sacked on the spot.

The England squad is also going through a much-needed transition as they see off the old guard that, frankly, were never up to the job and were beginning to stifle youth development.

Right, so the defenders we have are suddenly awful players because of a couple of bad games? What next? Whenever a player has a bad game we clamour to sign a replacement?

Goodness, I hope you never have a bad day at work or you'll be sacked on the spot.
I didn't say that, but just because they're in the England squad doesn't mean that much alone. England haven't got a very good defence any more.

Right, so the defenders we have are suddenly awful players because of a couple of bad games?[/B] What next? Whenever a player has a bad game we clamour to sign a replacement?

Three games = 10 goals conceded the first two lost us 6 points - Distan, and Jags were at the heart of most of it!
One of them should have been dropped for Stones also if no replacements our fetched in then Duffy should never have been sold - also he wanted to go because an old man who has muscle problems was on the bench ahead of him in Alcaraz!
RM has to make some tough decisions or get it right Jags looks the worst of the two dropping him would be the kind thing to do his confidence is shattered!

I'd like to see Gibson (if fit) given a chance, don't think Barry's fitness is were it should be, at times it's looked like McCarthys been doing the job of both of them.

If we were to change things at the back, I'd bring Stones in for Jagielka, some of our better performances last season came with Stones & Distin at the back.

People who actually know me, know I don't tend to knee-jerk but, Jagielka and Distin are looking like this is one season too far, and have done since the start of the season.

Is Stones able to bring any more confidence at CB yet? Not sure but we must look to the future now. I'd buy a CB, play Stones along either Jagielka or Distin and gradually bed a new CB in.

I agree wholeheartedly mate, thing is last season Jags and Distin looked shakey together at times as well, especially so from any set piece coming into the box, It's time to give stones a long run in the team, a lot have mentioned his bad preseason as a reason not to throw him in, but end of the day i'd take someone who had a poor preseason than someone who has had 3 meaningful games varying from bad to absolutely horrible, which atm jags has had, Distin has been a little better (a lot better vs chelsea tbf) and he has played very well in tandem with Stones.

Added 'benefit' of dropping jags instead of Distin for Stones is it keeps both on their best side, and means we have an on-field captain who can mybe lead a lot better than Jags does - poor choice for a captain by Moyes tbh - following a trend to have someone who is quiet and follows the managers orders rather than a true leader by example, looking at the current squad Coleman is the glaringly obvious choice for the armband tbh, never backs down and is the true embodiment of the fighting Irish.

32 year old centre back whose form hasn't just been of for a few games but for a good 6 months or more now mate, 37 year old cb who is showing signs of decline - although still despite recent form a very good squad player, stones a young cb who has shown he is ore than capable at this level, besides that the drop off is massive in young lids who need a good year or two to be ready at least or alcaraz who no one wants to see play due to him being a bit rubbish really

Jags is a confidence player and his confidence is utterly shot, what caused it, maybe the injury last season, maybe with the pressure stones applied to his position having an impact on his confidence (players react differently to a direct competition to start), followed by a poor world cup where he got scapegoated out of order with his actual role in the flop that was the England team, now the start to this season he is looking a shell of the player we know, its something that needs to be addressed and fast and just trying to muddle through without something changing is unlikely to fix it, needs to be taken out the firing line as right now.

End of the day Martinez is the manager and I'm assuming he knows how best to handle Jags, right now though he reminds me of Heitenga after his great season for us and is making wrong decision after wrong decision and got absolutely owned as bad as i can remember a cb ever getting done over at Goodison

Think the need for another centre half is a knee jerk reaction, the main issue is fitness/sharpness.
Stones is our only long term CB now. We could do with a player in their mid twenties as it looks like none of Distin, Jags or Alcaraz will be first team players beyond this season. (Unless Jags turns it around)

Got to plan for the future. Distin and Jags were always going to decline. It's happening now. Be pro-active and go and get someone. 23-25 year old who will partner stones for the future. Distin is coming to the end of his career and needs to be a cameo player.

If you're going to play possession and technical football you need one cb that will be good on the ball.

This why I believed we should have signed Martins-Indi for a relatively cheap £6-7m.
That ship has sailed though so we must look to getting in the likes of Nastasic, Alderweireld or Richards now

Status
Not open for further replies.