Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
A lot of talk on Everton's defence recently, particularly after conceding six goals this evening.

So, a simple poll.

Do you think Everton need to bring in a CB before the transfer deadline closes? Yes or no?

JS20590494.jpg

It isn't that Jags and Distin aren't good enough but they are the wrong side of 30 and making stupid errors they didn't used to. We saw last season at United with Vidic and Ferdinand that when an old defender is really struggling it is so hard to get it back. I think we need to sign a new defender as the signs are there but I doubt we will.

If nothing else, they need some serious competition as a kick up the backside (see: Robles for Howard last season).

Nastasic or Alderweird for me, although de vrij would have been awesome disgraceful we never went in for him best CB at the world cup for me

Yes. We need one desperately. Stones should be bedded in as well as a long-term future option, with Distin phased out.

Surely there must be an experienced defender we can get in on loan who could slot straight into the team if thats what Martinez wants.

Stones is good but he isn't the insta-fix we need at this stage of his career and Alcarez is never fit long enough to be any good.

good (but not great) 32 and 36 (almost 37) year olds clearly won't suffice for this season. United could barely do it with Ferdinand and Vidic last season, and they were 35 and 32, respectively, and are better than Jagielka and Distin. We NEED a centre back. Stones is an exciting prospect, I'm better than Alcaraz, leaving us with 2 OAPs who clearly can't cope at this level anymore.

I would say no, think Stones will be a big player for us this season. Chelsea were smart today putting Costa on Jags, to me he looks like he is missing full sharpness and Distin was away from play for a lot of todays goals and I just think that was 1) smart by chelsea & 2) what happens when you play against teams who only have one up front. Will be interesting to see how Jags plays for England, could give him full match fitness and raise his confidence before what has to be called a big game against West Brom.

Status
Not open for further replies.