Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Can't remember who said it, but it's a great quote about depression - " outside I,m smiling and inside I,m crying ". That's the thing with mental illness, you can't see into someone's head.

yeah i think i've read something similar, i've described it as being under a very heavy quilt and sometimes blades of sunlight get in. As super gay as that sounds i know! It's what it feels like to me.

Absolutely buzzing, 3 weeks on and I've just got a job. Nothing special, a kitchen porter but I'm made up. In a totally different place than when I wrote that.

Just keep things in perspective mate.

Try and remember that you will have ups and downs. Things are going good now. Just try and keep it that way. Realise that it won't always be like this but be prepared for that.

Seen many a person have a mini renaissance; only to then crash again.

Try and keep yourself on an upward journey. You won't go wrong.

Just keep things in perspective mate.

Try and remember that you will have ups and downs. Things are going good now. Just try and keep it that way. Realise that it won't always be like this but be prepared for that.

Seen many a person have a mini renaissance; only to then crash again.

Try and keep yourself on an upward journey. You won't go wrong.
Sound advice there. But enjoy the good times whilst they last.....then you'll be better equipped to handle it if things get difficult again. As they probably will. Good on you for getting work though....especially after you were so sure you'd struggle to feel better.

Just to say, genuinely a "happy" new year to those that look in on this thread.

Even at its darkest moments, life can be turned round by the simplest act of kindness or thoughtfulness - God bless all those that suffer and all those that help the suffering.

Often said but worth repeating - if you're alone out there, seek professional help, if that's too difficult speak to us on GOT, we're not professionals but we care about each and everyone of you.

Best for a happier 2015 xx

Top Man, I'm proud of you and send you my love :)

Thank you so much mate. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom, and hit hard, before the climb upwards can begin. I was falling for a long while and I still have the odd slip, but over the past 12 months I've been climbing back up and feel as if managed to get myself closer to the top than to bottom.

Hope 2015 brings nothing but good things for everyone.

Hi all, happy new year to everyone. Hope people are doing okay with the new year. Personally it's the toughest time to me, and in each of the past two years I've managed to have a 'break down' in January.

Anyway, I'm struggling a bit at the moment and was just wondering if anyone could help. Basically, I'm now a student again (studying a course to go back to University to study Nursing.) I'm really struggling to manage to write any assignments at the moment given my concentration is on the floor. Is there anyone on here also a student and suffering/ have suffered from depression and have some tips of how to get work done while struggling? I've done things such as going for a walk, taking time out but I keep delaying things, and every time I do try I end up distracting myself on here or other things, lol.

Then it goes from struggling to do an assignment, to thinking more about my concentration, to feeling crap for not being able to do it, to wondering whether I'll be able to get through a nursing degree, to not being able to qualify, not having the job I want, to failing and life. And so on. Argggggggh

Just had a browse in here for the first time, and to say I'm overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness, kindness and genuine concern for other Evertonians, irrespective of having likely only ever 'met' them on-line on GOT, is a massive understatement.
For any of us to be able to share such difficult and private matters on here and get heartfelt support and help from normal people really is remarkable.
A massive collective pat on the back for all those brave enough to share such difficult information and for all those who just by caring and sharing simple words have made a huge difference. I've always been proud to be Blue, but this has transceneded that.
Evertonians really are a special breed. For those of us with pressing problems, always remember that a problem shared is a problem halved....talking saves lives and its simple, free and immediate.
Take care in 2015.

Hi all, happy new year to everyone. Hope people are doing okay with the new year. Personally it's the toughest time to me, and in each of the past two years I've managed to have a 'break down' in January.

Anyway, I'm struggling a bit at the moment and was just wondering if anyone could help. Basically, I'm now a student again (studying a course to go back to University to study Nursing.) I'm really struggling to manage to write any assignments at the moment given my concentration is on the floor. Is there anyone on here also a student and suffering/ have suffered from depression and have some tips of how to get work done while struggling? I've done things such as going for a walk, taking time out but I keep delaying things, and every time I do try I end up distracting myself on here or other things, lol.

Then it goes from struggling to do an assignment, to thinking more about my concentration, to feeling crap for not being able to do it, to wondering whether I'll be able to get through a nursing degree, to not being able to qualify, not having the job I want, to failing and life. And so on. Argggggggh
I was struggling massively, especially in my last year of Uni with depression. My best advice to you would be to remove yourself from your home and go to the library to do your work. I used to take myself the library during the night and I actually found it helped me during them times, it was like a little comfort zone.

My other piece of advice would be to not fall into the trap of getting extensions on work.

Good luck mate, I'm sure you can do it.

Mate, the key to big problems is breaking them down into smaller chunks which are then manageable. There's no point in worrying about your degree, and the job prospects, and life thereafter if worrying about them stops you from doing an assignment.

Easier said than done, but you have to reverse the process. I like many people are faced by big challenges in the future at work. I can't solve what might happen in 5 years time other than by solving the most immediate problems first.

So in the case of doing an assignment that means being properly prepared, organising your time so you have enough time to do it, and if you are having difficulties seeking help from your tutor as soon as possible, not just before the deadline.

So start with preparation - meaning having somewhere conducive to good work, having the necessary material to hand, and at a time which works best for you - early or late?

Long time since I was a student, but the principles remain the same, break everything down into small chunks - if there's then an obstacle seek help immediately in overcoming it. Do that and the bigger problems will look after themselves.

You need a change of scene to keep you focused. You should as suggested go to the library to study for a couple of hours, then study at home for a couple of hours in your bed room. Not the living room.

Structure the time and keep to it.

This will improve your mood as you get positive results of this 'project'

- Plan your trip into the library, plan what you will do topics wise.
- Plan what you will eat for lunch.
- Plan your trip home.
- Plan your work at home.
- PLAN YOUR LEISURE TIME AROUND THIS (reward yourself for working hard).
- Plan your sleep pattern.

Do it as planned.

This is the sort of thing they will do in CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) anyway.

Humans are creatures that need structure.

The earlier poster suggested working at night. Maybe but if you've got busy days on the other parts of the course think carefully about this. Structured work, leisure, eating and sleeping patterns are vitally important.

Just like your essays need structure so does your life. Do this and you will see results within a few days.

@GwladysBlue @the esk @bizzaro Thanks ever so much for those suggestions. Really means a lot! I've made plans to have a study day tomorrow at the library with another guy from my course so hopefully that will help. I definitely agree about structure. It's probably the hardest thing to achieve for me- given my sleep (not helped by the meds I'm on I think) is always over the place. I visited the doctor this week and I've been referred back to the psychiatrist so I am trying to get it in order. Three deadlines for this week so I'm going to try my best to meet them as I haven't asked for an extension before and as already mentioned, it's best not to get into that habit. Here's hoping. Thanks so much for your words though!