Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Had two emails from very dear friends. Both incredibly depressed / depressing.

No idea what to do as both are intelligent, functioning guys. And both prime candidates for topping themselves.

Ideas?

No idea what to do as both are intelligent, functioning guys. And both prime candidates for topping themselves.

Ideas?
Without being dramatic if you think they have potential to commit suicide, I,d contact them immediately and try to gauge their mental state. Go with you gut feeling on this one, as if you know them well you,ll be able to tell how they really are, even if they say the emails where mistakes and everything is now fine. If you're worried enough after contacting them someone needs to go and see them pronto. If you know their families contact them too, as they may be unaware of the situation. I would look at their emails as a cry for help. If you're friends are men, I,d be doubly concerned, as generally men will not ask for help from anyone until they have hit rock bottom . Sorry to be so gloomy, but I think doing nothing isn't an option.

when someone says they have bouts of depression does it mean that their depression has been triggered by something external in their environment i.e. a sad film on tv etc..?
It's an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain - can be brought on by extreme stress, bereavement, combat situations etc, can be seasonal or can happen for no reason at all. Many many factors but it's all to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain. Hope this helps in understanding it a bit more ?

when someone says they have bouts of depression does it mean that their depression has been triggered by something external in their environment i.e. a sad film on tv etc..?

It's an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain - can be brought on by extreme stress, bereavement, combat situations etc, can be seasonal or can happen for no reason at all. Many many factors but it's all to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain. Hope this helps in understanding it a bit more ?

Its also about a failure to distinguish things like

1. Mental illness
2. Psychiatric injury

The former can be genetic and totally out if someones control. The latter is typically caused by environment and traumatic events occurring around and to a person

Mental illness and psychiatric injury can both see depression as symptoms of something else more underlying and fundamental.

Both can be highly stigmatised. Both typically need professional assistance to counter. Its not like someone can just 'snap out of it'.

Depression itself can be mild and transient

Or deep and chronic.

Mild transient is something someone may get over themselves if their lives are generally going well and their overall health and diet are good.

Deep chronic depression can cause a negative feedback in someone's overall health which means breaking the cycle is difficult without assistance.

In my case its psychiatric injuries that resulted in a predisposition to depression. With a fixation on the cause of the initial pyschiatric injuries. (Aka ptsd)
This causes loss of self. Loss of purpose and classic up and down. Ptsd sufferers often can have a period of 'I'm cured' only to then down again. Family members dont have the patience to deal with the fixation and recurring issues that can result from things like 'intrusive flashbacks' and the like. The 'cure' for PTSD is self awareness. Regain self. Regain sense of purpose. But it's lifelong in terms of implementing it as ptsd never goes nor the depression. You just get to manage it. Better. Tolerable levels.

Yes. A negative stimulus with the original event can cause depression events @potato this is what the intrusive flashbacks are.

I'm someone who now dislikes very crowded places I don't know (most of the time) and someone can can look like I'm going mental in reponse to a specific trigger - very occasionally (my specific trigger). This is an anxiety based reaction (anxiety attack) fight or flight response ... In extreme PTSD. This response is switched on permanently 'hypervigilence'
I had it on for about three years - I recognise now. this damages your health generally.

Cynical people might try and use this type of thing against you for their gain by 'abusive personalities'. Had that happen. So learning about 'shaming' techniques how to counter them is important for recovery too for a depression sufferer.

I feel for some of those who have depression resulting from other mental illnesses or physical ailments.

For them in my mind the path to health is not as clear to me personally. So they have alot of my sympathy.

Depression symptoms vary btw. Its not a black white spectrum. More a grey spectrum.

Ultimately people can emerge as unbelievably stronger persons from it.

Last edited:
Its also about a failure to distinguish things like

1. Mental illness
2. Psychiatric injury

The former can be genetic and totally out if someones control. The latter is typically caused by environment and traumatic events occurring around and to a person

Mental illness and psychiatric injury can both see depression as symptoms of something else more underlying and fundamental.

Both can be highly stigmatised. Both typically need professional assistance to counter. Its not like someone can just 'snap out of it'.

Depression itself can be mild and transient

Or deep and chronic.

Mild transient is something someone may get over themselves if their lives are generally going well and their overall health and diet are good.

Deep chronic depression can cause a negative feedback in someone's overall health which means breaking the cycle is difficult without assistance.

In my case its psychiatric injuries that resulted in a predisposition to depression. With a fixation on the cause of the initial pyschiatric injuries. (Aka ptsd)
This causes loss of self. Loss of purpose and classic up and down. Ptsd sufferers often can have a period of 'I'm cured' only to then down again. Family members dont have the patience to deal with the fixation and recurring issues that can result from things like 'intrusive flashbacks' and the like. The 'cure' for PTSD is self awareness. Regain self. Regain sense of purpose. But it's lifelong in terms of implementing it as ptsd never goes nor the depression. You just get to manage it. Better. Tolerable levels.

Yes. A negative stimulus with the original event can cause depression events @potato this is what the intrusive flashbacks are.

I'm someone who now dislikes very crowded places I don't know (most of the time) and someone can can look like I'm going mental in reponse to a specific trigger - very occasionally (my specific trigger). This is an anxiety based reaction (anxiety attack) fight or flight response ... In extreme PTSD. This response is switched on permanently 'hypervigilence'
I had it on for about three years - I recognise now. this damages your health generally.

Cynical people might try and use this type of thing against you for their gain by 'abusive personalities'. Had that happen. So learning about 'shaming' techniques how to counter them is important for recovery too for a depression sufferer.

I feel for some of those who have depression resulting from other mental illnesses or physical ailments.

For them in my mind the path to health is not as clear to me personally. So they have alot of my sympathy.

Depression symptoms vary btw. Its not a black white spectrum. More a grey spectrum.

Ultimately people can emerge as unbelievably stronger persons from it.

Fantastic explanation of depressive illness, I tried to keep mine very very simple. Thanks for explaining it in more depth.

Ideas?
Just be there for them as much as you can. Unconditionally. Remember that you are not responsible for their actions - only for your own. Ask them how they're feeling. Listen to the answers without judging. Try not to solve the problem for them - they're intelligent people, you've said, so have probably thought of all the obvious solutions and tried them. Perhaps encourage them to go to Samaritans or their GP. Let them know you care. That's as much as any of us can do.

Sister's mate, a 15 year old lad, walked on to the M56 in front of a lorry the other day. Just about alive.

Crazy to think at 15 someone is trying to kill themselves when there seems to be nothing up with his life.

Shows it can happen to anyone at any age really.

Sister's mate, a 15 year old lad, walked on to the M56 in front of a lorry the other day. Just about alive.

Crazy to think at 15 someone is trying to kill themselves when there seems to be nothing up with his life.

Shows it can happen to anyone at any age really.

Can't remember who said it, but it's a great quote about depression - " outside I,m smiling and inside I,m crying ". That's the thing with mental illness, you can't see into someone's head.

This goes in here I think.

Feel proper on the floor tbh lads. Mentioned and deleted in another thread about how I got convicted today of a horrible crime (which I absolutely, 100% didn't commit) from a fight I had 7 months ago.

Now I just feel like I can't carry on. My future's looking non existent with this on my record despite me only being 17. Gonna be hard to get a job and stuff, college are looking at not letting me carry on there even though I've been doing well, there's no point going to Uni anymore. I feel proper embarassed that I'm gonna have this charge on me and people are gonna hear about it regardless of whether it's true or not, I still got found guilty of it so people are gonna believe it. I feel like I've let everyone in my family down and bad that they've all supported me so much, they all believe me and so they've basically all gone through it with me. I feel just so low and just like there's no point at all. It's just [Poor language removed].
Absolutely buzzing, 3 weeks on and I've just got a job. Nothing special, a kitchen porter but I'm made up. In a totally different place than when I wrote that.