Dave Moyes 10th anniversary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be. Ten years time the record books wont be talking about 5th place finishes. No one gets or should get undue recognition for that. It's just a bone you throw someone.

I heard Kenwrong saying he was in the top three Everton managers of all time. I'd be very slighted if I were Joe Royle. And going back to the eras of secretary-managers, Thomas McIntosh won a couple of Titles and the FA Cup...and signed a certain WR Dean along the way....and let's not forget Colin Harvey got us to a Final and a 4th, 6th and 8th in the three full seasons he has with us as manager (admittedly after taking over a title winning team), which is pretty much the ball park area where Moyes should be bracketed.

Elevating Moyes into the the company of Catterick and Kendall just shows how little real feel Kenwright has for the traditions of the club and how much he elevates mediocrity for his own narrow persoanl ends.

kenwright and hot air. How does the man do it?

The Jelavic buy is just another reason why I love Moyes. 5.5M for a guy who had 30 goals in 45 appearances. Now I know Scotland is way worse than the MLS now but my god 5.5M for a striker that prolific entering his prime?

This is what 5.5M buys/doesn't buy you in the insane prem striker transfer market over the past few years.

Gyan: 13M (came from Rennes where he had 14 goals in 48 apps)

Heskey: 5.5M in 2006 (2 goals for Brum in 05-06 season)

Over the hill AJ: 10.25M to Fulham

Elmander: 8.2M (coming off 22 in 64 for Toluse)

Faddy: 5.5M (11 in 109 for us) to Brum

Connor Wickham: only 18 but cost Sunderland 8M

Peter Crouch: 10M and probably much higher wages than jelly for a 30 year old.

Kenwaye Jones: 6M to sunderland

Niokla Zigic: estimated 6M buy for Brum

Papiss Cisse: To NUFC for 9M

David Nugent: 6M portsmouth.

The only recent bit of business that I could think of that was better in the striker market (well this and Blackburn signing Yak for a ham sandwich) was NUFC signing Demba Ba and Moyes would have signed him if we only had any money.

107935937.jpg

Why do so many journos confuse 'big club' with 'rich club'?

So sick and tired of being patronised by the media, as to how Moyes 'deserves a big club'. He's at a big club, he just isn't at a rich club.

And if you suddenly become 'a big club' by becoming rich, well isn't that a really weird definition of 'big club'? Were Blackburn 'a big club' when they had their mid-1990s success in winning the league, backed by Walker's millions?

My own opinion is that a 'big club' should be based on fanbase, on what the club has won historically, on the contributions that the club has made to the game in this country and its' 'firsts' and 'achievements', and of course, yeah, money does play a part. But that's just one small aspect of the definition, not the sole defining criteria.

If people want Moyes to be 'given the chance to win things' as some of these journos say in the papers, why not publish stories demanding to know why no-one has invested in Everton to give him the funds to achieve his potential? Instead of arguing he should just leave and go to 'a big club'.

Sorry, rant over. Just really does my head in!

Why do so many journos confuse 'big club' with 'rich club'?

So sick and tired of being patronised by the media, as to how Moyes 'deserves a big club'. He's at a big club, he just isn't at a rich club.

And if you suddenly become 'a big club' by becoming rich, well isn't that a really weird definition of 'big club'? Were Blackburn 'a big club' when they had their mid-1990s success in winning the league, backed by Walker's millions?

My own opinion is that a 'big club' should be based on fanbase, on what the club has won historically, on the contributions that the club has made to the game in this country and its' 'firsts' and 'achievements', and of course, yeah, money does play a part. But that's just one small aspect of the definition, not the sole defining criteria.

If people want Moyes to be 'given the chance to win things' as some of these journos say in the papers, why not publish stories demanding to know why no-one has invested in Everton to give him the funds to achieve his potential? Instead of arguing he should just leave and go to 'a big club'.

Sorry, rant over. Just really does my head in!

Excellent post.

But we arent a big Club anymore.

To assume we are is kopite like.

95 was our last major trophy
87 was our last League Title

Yes we have a very good history, but so does Sheff Wed and Leeds.

Football has changed, these days and ever since The Premiership money train was formed, cash is King and we lack it.

But we arent a big Club anymore.

To assume we are is kopite like.

95 was our last major trophy
87 was our last League Title

Yes we have a very good history, but so does Sheff Wed and Leeds.

Football has changed, these days and ever since The Premiership money train was formed, cash is King and we lack it.

No they don't.

Sheff Wed - 4 league titles (last won 1930), 3 FA Cups (last won 1935), 1 League Cup (won 1991).
Leeds - 3 league titles (last won 1992), 1 FA Cup (won 1972), 1 League Cup (1968), 2 UEFA Cups (last won 1971).

Both clubs have been relegated numerous times (including to spells in the 3rd tier where we've never been) in the last 20 years too.

Everton have won more league titles than both clubs combined, and more FA Cups than both clubs combined.

Everton Football Club is the 4th most successful club in the history of English football, despite winning nothing for nearly 17 years.

Read my post again - my opinion is a 'big club' is defined by multiple factors, not just money, and not just history.

To compare us to Leeds and Sheff Wed - even historically - is very insulting to be honest.

1635:
GET INVOLVED

So, with Moyes's anniversary at Everton just around the corner, what do you think has been his biggest achievement at Goodison Park in the last 10 years? Spotting certain players' potential? Developing Wayne Rooney? Guiding Everton to safety season after season?

Get in touch with your thoughts and opinions on Twitter, using #bbcsportsday.

... taken from BBC sportsday, is that really how they vue his tenure, no mention of top 4, FA Cup final, consitent European football
...nope wayne rooney and fecking survival

Whereas Moyes responds to criticism of his approach by saying: "If I had my way, I would love to sit down with people and ask to hear them explain the strengths of 4-4-2 compared to the 4-4-1-1 which we play. If you ask me, I'd argue all day long."

Top banter.

You tell em David.

Well he ain't gonna admit he's wrong to persist in playing a "1" who might as well be a "0" in the opposition half of the pitch is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.