Credit where credit it due....and how to do things with respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawders

Player Valuation: £35m
OK, so now the dust has settled. You have to give BK credit for the Felli deal. 4m over the buyout amount is nothing short of a miracle. Felli clearly wanted to go (but credit he only put the transfer request in a a few hours before the end...which actually saves us money) but BK dug his heels in and clearly won the power battle with Moyes. And getting up 6m for Vic...does that mean Bale is worth 200m?

Contrasting us and Utd. Bobby wanted McCarthy all summer...he clearly sees him as one of the pivotal players for his system. But we did that deal quietly. We didn't try to low ball Wigan and then publicly state that Wigan would be damaging his career if we didn't let him go on the cheap. Nope. We didn't make any comment. First bid rejected...no statement....then give Wigan what they want. A nicely done and respectful deal. Contrast Moyes and his public pursuit of Fabregas and then Felli/Baines. Let's face it, Utd and Moyes have come out of this summer smelling like sh1t of the most putrid kind. BK and Bobby have done well.

Finally, in an era of player power and high wages, the behaviour of Baines has been impeccable. When you have the carrot of Utd, CL football, trophies and doubling your wages dangling in front of you, not forcing a move is almost the stuff of legends. Respect.

Now, let's go and beat Utd in the cup final

Excellent post. Though the board were 45 minutes away from a pitchfork and fire march......

Leighton Baines should have his name sung at every game. Gives you some belief back in football.

As for Utd......I'm still laughing at them. What idiots. It will be proven over time that Moyes maxed out here a few years ago and he is not able for anything higher anywhere.

Well, part of it is that sports journos know writing about Everton & their pursuit of McCarthy is not gonna get them readers. Not fair to contrast how we handle our transfer business & how Utd does. We can just fly under the radar because well, there isn't much of a radar.

But I totally agree with you on the Felli deal. Thumbs up to whoever handled it (was it BK?), and the player for being a gentleman.

Everyone associated with Everton played a blinder in the last couple of hours of that window I thought.

To get upwards of £34m for Anichebe and Fellaini was superb business, we badly needed reinforcements in central midfield and addressed this with one of the most experienced players in the league joining McCarthy who's clearly got something, otherwise our manager wouldn't have chased him all summer. His fee can be debated until we're blue in the face but I guess we can't say anything of note until the lad actually turns out for us.

Lukaku was an absolutely blinding capture, he was an unknown quantity at the start of last season and blew everyone away at West Bro. There's only a couple of teams in the league who wouldn't find a starting place for this lad and to get him on board was really fantastic, a player like him is guaranteed to put bums on seats. Temporary solution to a recurring problem but what a good one.

I think we've had a great window in all fairness, we've addressed the correct areas of the pitch and while we'll miss the 10 or so blinders Fellaini would've played for us, the squad is so much better off for it.

That said, if we limp through January without signing anyone i'll f*cking fume.

Last edited:
Good choice of word "credit" because that's exactly what we're in to the tune of 12/13M....remember this in the run up to January.

The club did well to get £27.5m for Fellaini.

Have to laugh at Moyes talking about his knowledge of how Everton 'work', as though it'd enable him to bully them into selling on his terms. Better luck next time, Dave.

The club did well to get £27.5m for Fellaini.

Have to laugh at Moyes talking about his knowledge of how Everton 'work', as though it'd enable him to bully them into selling on his terms. Better luck next time, Dave.

Made an absolute arse of himself. He's had his words pushed right back down his throat. And now he's under massive pressure himself. Sweet as a nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.