Coldest ground in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's annoying. People all over my Facebook acting like it's the big freeze, it's only about -2C at worst. Heaven forbid if it hits -10C or worse like it did a couple of years ago.

It will usually hit -15C to -20C where i live for a few weeks of the year.

The snow I can deal with, the roads are well taken care of and you can move about. But the cold kills me once you get down to 5-10 degrees F.

Cheers, was just curious what sort of cold we were talking bout.

Since moving east, its quite comical to see the roads anytime there is snow, everything is a complete mess.

As Brennan says, -2 is about as cold as it gets for most of us. -10 would be considered very, very cold.

edit: in farenheit, that'd be about 14F

I don't think they had any value in the squad to begin with TBH which is why I don't think it's as big a deal as say Swansea spending it, as they had 4-5 players of value to begin with and add to.

I'd expect more than what they see now like.

Basically it boils down to this. It's very easy for you to say, "if only Moyes had the money that Pulis has had" but, as much as there might be more cash in our coffers than in yours, we've come from way back. You've had 58(?) consecutive top flight seasons (including 20 years of premiership cash) to our 5 consecutive seasons after 23 years in the second and third divisions, with various promotions and relegations before then. Not to turn it into a 'woe-is-me' [Poor language removed] waving contest, but still...

I'd also say you have to not take transfer fees at face value... I'll admit we've wasted some cash, but 75 million is small fry when you consider what 5 years' worth of money for mid-table finishes gets you. It also seems logical to say "with the money they've spent you could get a £15m playmaker, £25m striker etc" but in practise it doesn't work because:

A) We have a wage cap and that sort of player is going to want way more than we pay

B) That sort of player wants more regular cup wins, european games etc than we can guarantee.

I'd say a more accurate factor in comparing who has done what in the league is wages. I won't pretend I'm privy to how much you lot pay your top earners, but I'd guess it's more than ours (Crouch/Huth/Shawcross) get. So yeah, our net spend may be more than Manchester United's (although isn't their's skewed by the massive fee they got for Ronaldo?) but equally, we've got no-one on £200,000 week...

Also, comparisons with Wigan/Swansea/West Brom. The remit of us and those three is to stay in the league, but Wigan expect a relegation fight each year, Swansea have only done it once and West Brom seem to have finally mastered staying up after a few unsuccessful attempts. Our targets are: to stay up (comfortably); improve the first team squad; invest in the academy; and see what we can do in the cups... all of which we have done. Coates is happy to put the money in for guaranteed, safe returns each year- Pulis is happy to provide them in return for a nice salary and the kudos of managing amongst the elite.

As for aesthetics... well, away from home we are often as bad as we're made out to be. Smash and grab is great for us, but I imagine it does spoil the game for the home fans. At home games we're generally decent. Direct, but this season we've made big changes in the centre of midfield and, in my mind, we look a lot better for it. Still a lack of pace in the team though.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from Saturday and the return game!)

Inverness_Caledonian.jpg

Behind that stand is the Moray Firth.

If you've ever been to a game there in January of February, there's a fair chance that you're now missing some toes to frostbite.
Been there when we stayed in a lodge near Delny one winter, it was seriously cold.

I'd say a more accurate factor in comparing who has done what in the league is wages. I won't pretend I'm privy to how much you lot pay your top earners, but I'd guess it's more than ours (Crouch/Huth/Shawcross) get. So yeah, our net spend may be more than Manchester United's (although isn't their's skewed by the massive fee they got for Ronaldo?) but equally, we've got no-one on £200,000 week...

Your wage bil during 2010-11 was 47 million or 70% of your income, compared to ours of 58 million which was 71% of our income as we finished higher in 2009-10 than you and so earned money that way. We also spent 3 million on agents to your one and half million.

I imagine now you've added crouch et al, the two wage bills would be closer but lets say it isn't and we've spent 50 million more on wages in the last five years than you and also seven and a half million more than you on agents. That's an extra 57 and half million. We've still earned 15 million in transfers compared to the 75 million that you have spent. So at the most optimistic look at your finances, in the last five years you've invested 33 million pounds more than we have into your playing staff and you've yet to finish in the top half.

I think that's an under performance and I think that's because you play an ineffective style of football.

Basically it boils down to this. It's very easy for you to say, "if only Moyes had the money that Pulis has had" but, as much as there might be more cash in our coffers than in yours, we've come from way back. You've had 58(?) consecutive top flight seasons (including 20 years of premiership cash) to our 5 consecutive seasons after 23 years in the second and third divisions, with various promotions and relegations before then. Not to turn it into a 'woe-is-me' [Poor language removed] waving contest, but still...

I'd also say you have to not take transfer fees at face value... I'll admit we've wasted some cash, but 75 million is small fry when you consider what 5 years' worth of money for mid-table finishes gets you. It also seems logical to say "with the money they've spent you could get a £15m playmaker, £25m striker etc" but in practise it doesn't work because:

A) We have a wage cap and that sort of player is going to want way more than we pay

B) That sort of player wants more regular cup wins, european games etc than we can guarantee.

Also, comparisons with Wigan/Swansea/West Brom. The remit of us and those three is to stay in the league, but Wigan expect a relegation fight each year, Swansea have only done it once and West Brom seem to have finally mastered staying up after a few unsuccessful attempts. Our targets are: to stay up (comfortably); improve the first team squad; invest in the academy; and see what we can do in the cups... all of which we have done. Coates is happy to put the money in for guaranteed, safe returns each year- Pulis is happy to provide them in return for a nice salary and the kudos of managing amongst the elite.

As for aesthetics... well, away from home we are often as bad as we're made out to be. Smash and grab is great for us, but I imagine it does spoil the game for the home fans. At home games we're generally decent. Direct, but this season we've made big changes in the centre of midfield and, in my mind, we look a lot better for it. Still a lack of pace in the team though.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from Saturday and the return game!)

A few points:

- I don't think anybody has said you should be spending £15m on one player, but there are plenty of bargain players to be had for less than £5m. Distin, Heitinga, Jagielka, Lescott, Arteta just to name a few were all bought for £5m or less.

- Wage Cap is a fair point, although i don't think that stops you from buying good players on the cheap and then selling them on for a profit, which you have so far failed to do. Wigan have spent a lot less than you partly because they've made good buys in the transfer market but also because they've bought players and sold them on for a fair whack. Your wage cap of what i've heard is around £40k a week shouldn't stop that.

- It doesn't particularly bother me if you play 'crap' football, i simply think it's a bit weak that as a club you haven't pushed on and finished top 10 at least once since you've been promoted. You may not be earning as much as other teams like us when it comes to income, but that's all a bit irrelevant when you're spending £13m or so a season on transfers, clearly you have an owner who is happy to fund the club, i just think Pulis and the scouting team should be making better use of that money.

The 'joke of a club' comment was probably a bit strong from me earlier, don't think that's directed at you as fans, because it's not. Nothing wrong with having a few extra fingers and toes.

Your wage bil during 2010-11 was 47 million or 70% of your income, compared to ours of 58 million which was 71% of our income as we finished higher in 2009-10 than you and so earned money that way. We also spent 3 million on agents to your one and half million.

I imagine now you've added crouch et al, the two wage bills would be closer but lets say it isn't and we've spent 50 million more on wages in the last five years than you and also seven and a half million more than you on agents. That's an extra 57 and half million. We've still earned 15 million in transfers compared to the 75 million that you have spent. So at the most optimistic look at your finances, in the last five years you've invested 33 million pounds more than we have into your playing staff and you've yet to finish in the top half.

I think that's an under performance and I think that's because you play an ineffective style of football.

Correct.

I'm tellin ya, if you gave Martinez £13m a season at Wigan and didn't sell his best players he'd have them comfortable mid table within three years.

Where's all this Stoke snobbery come from? Like them or not they what they do and sometimes get a bad reputation as clubs prefer to sneer at them rather than question how they didn't beat you despite them knowing exactly how they would approach the game.

I can't stand all these new age soccer am beauts professing Barcelona to be the best team ever and obsessing over wingbacks doing stepovers.

A real club with a long history followed by local working class lids. Some of that zany Deliliah stuff does my swede in but that apart there's far worse out there.

A real club with a long history followed by local working class lids. Some of that zany Deliliah stuff does my swede in but that apart there's far worse out there.

There's a difference bwteen judging them as a club and judging them as a team. As a club, they've got a proud history and a strong fan base. As a team, they're a bit QPRish, expensive and ****.

If Stoke were a cartoon villain they'd be Grocksteady.

If they were a beer they'd be Rolling Grock.

If they were a sh*t Vinnie Jones film they'd be Grock, Grock and two smoking barrels.

Where's all this Stoke snobbery come from? Like them or not they what they do and sometimes get a bad reputation as clubs prefer to sneer at them rather than question how they didn't beat you despite them knowing exactly how they would approach the game.

I can't stand all these new age soccer am beauts professing Barcelona to be the best team ever and obsessing over wingbacks doing stepovers.

*looks for Chico's old stoke match previews in the vaults*

Vaulting myself on my past Stoke summary.

Vile long ball, long throw, anti football side, bell end baseball cap manager. Hope they get relegated and take the buck toothed [Poor language removed] back to the Championship where he belongs.

That, and their Delilah singing melts booing Aaron Ramsey for having the temerity to have his leg broken by one of their grock army, is the semen icing on the giant jobby cupcake that is Stoke City Football Club.

[Poor language removed] off Stoke.

The Riverside on Boxing Day 2008 was a bad one. Christ. I wore Converse. Nightmare.

The Stadium of Light on Boxing Day 2009 wasn't much better either. Swear I had snow on my shoes that didn't melt.

PS. Koff Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.