Cautious optimism for the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hetion

Player Valuation: £20m
Listening to Martinez talk in interviews, and seeing how he seems to be building the squad, I think it's pretty clear he's playing the long game. I think he's placing a huge emphasis on Everton being a tight-knit team that's a pleasure to be a part of, and by extension building a team that will play together for a long time. Here's a little look at how a first XI might look in 2018:

???
Coleman (c), Stones, Galloway, Oviedo
Besic, McCarthy
???, Barkley, Mirallas
Lukaku​

That's a squad that currently has an average age of 22. There's a huge amount of variables in there, of course - a lot of the players have huge potential, but them delivering on it is far from certain. That risk is the necessary price for not having the cash to be able to buy players in their prime, however.

The upside of that risk is this: IF all those players do come good on what they've been tipped for, then in, say, 4-5 years time, they'll mostly all be in their peak and will have played together week in, week out for nearly that same period of time - you don't get that with buying in a couple £50m players from different sources, it's a chemistry that comes with building a team from the ground up.

It won't be overnight, and it might not work out that smoothly at all, but it's clear as day what Martinez is going for, and at the moment we're just building towards that. The future could be very bright indeed...just sayin.

Last edited:
I hope your right, One of the things I most want for Everton is more recognition like Ian Holloway -"This I s a proper football club." I understand the need for silverware but I don't want it in the way the RS seem to be going about their business. Keeping those players and Roberto is the key. Nothing lasts forever, a wise man once said, but what is being built might just see me out. I feel good going to Goodison , despite the stress it causes me, and that's what matters I think.

It's definitely the case that RM is looking long term. That's best evidenced in that when buying youngsters like Galloway (and Henen?) he explicitly says that they are being signed for the U21s in the first instance. The problems with long term planning are many though eg RM might leave, the players might leave before they can truly benefit us etc. That's why it's good that RM is mixing it with buying for the present as well eg McGeady and Eto'o.

Sod cautious optimism!

We're gunna win the league,
We're gunna win the league,
And now you're gunna believe us,
And now you're gunna believe us,
And now you're gunna believe ussssssss!
We're gunna win the league!

AGAIN!

We're gunna win the league....

Listening to Martinez talk in interviews, and seeing how he seems to be building the squad, I think it's pretty clear he's playing the long game. I think he's placing a huge emphasis on Everton being a tight-knit team that's a pleasure to be a part of, and by extension building a team that will play together for a long time. Here's a little look at how a first XI might look in 2018:

???
Coleman (c), Stones, Galloway, Oviedo
Besic, McCarthy
Mirallas, Barkley, ???
Lukaku

That's a squad that currently has an average age of 22. There's a huge amount of variables in there, of course - a lot of the players have huge potential, but them delivering on it is far from certain. That risk is the necessary price for not having the cash to be able to buy players in their prime, however.

The upside of that risk is this: IF all those players do come good on what they've been tipped for, then in, say, 4-5 years time, they'll mostly all be in their peak and will have played together week in, week out for nearly that same period of time - you don't get that with buying in a couple £50m players from different sources, it's a chemistry that comes with building a team from the ground up.

It won't be overnight, and it might not work out that smoothly at all, but it's clear as day what Martinez is going for, and at the moment we're just building towards that. The future could be very bright indeed...just sayin.

I want to believe, I really do, I hope it comes true, but it seems all these bolts of optimism do and we've had a few over the last 4 or 5 yrs in one shape or another, is draw the attention of Mr Murphy and his soddin law... but for once, just once maybe he asleep and we will get a run at things.
Any cup will do, even the mickey mouse one.
I think we wait and see ( yep the old ' one game at a time ' thing again ) wait until we see if we get to the KO rounds of the Europa and see how we are going then

No doubt we need to be patient. We may not be ready to challenge this year but the future looks exciting if we can keep giving him the same sort of funds as this summer for the next couple of years.

I think next summer, or at the very most the one after, unless Robles does something miraculous, it will be time to spend big on a world class keeper.

Then some more goal scoring ability from our attacking midfielders wouldn't hurt.

And try to keep bringing in these quality kids hoping some will make it

I can't [Poor language removed] contain my excitement anymore.
We are BOSS.

And if we can get Kone and Gibson up and injury free along with Bryan,
I worry for the league.

Just listening to how reasoned, coherent, intelligent and reflective he is too...that's something that always strikes me about him. He is very cool and calm. He has a lot of vision, certainly. But there are often lots of people who possess vision, but have little to no idea how to follow a path to that dream.

Martinez is carving out his own path. It's great to see.

Think we can challenge for third this season! Aim for the title, be delighted with top four!

Status
Not open for further replies.