Can any of the young lads step up this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
We're all talking about which new players we're going to sign, but can any of the younger players join the first team squad?

Agard talks on the OS today about his plans to step up this season.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/agard-eyes-step-up.html

Can anyone else do likewise? Rodwell had a few goes last year and Gosling seems likely to contribute a bit this year. What about Lukas or the two young keepers. Can Irving step up after being the reserve team player of the year? Kissock did well at Gretna, can he do something for the first team?

Good half dozen players there, it would be superb if some could become first team regulars with all the games we have to play. Can they do it?

Agard seems to be in with a shot, he's won a reserve award so I expect him to sit on the bench atleast.

Baxter is approaching the age where Rooney and Vaghan steped up maybe at some point next season. I expect Gosling to a fully fledged member of the first team squad.

Agard is in with a shout if hes in the rezzies and i guess moysey has plans for Irving et al if he offered them new deals.

Hopefully Aoran Ramsey too!

I am quietly optimistic about Agard. Hopefully he's an Anichebe with fitness, awareness and a but of intelligence.

There's nothing better than a youngster emerging through.
I think Rodwell and Gosling are nailed on to be involved in some capacity in the first team next season, but beyond them, I'm struggling to find a realistic youngster who will do the same.

I don't mind Agard, but I don't think he's ever gonna make the breakthrough, not when we're being linked (albeit tediously) with £18m strikers and the like.
As for Irving, again, can't see it happening.

I think Baxter has a chance over the next couple of seasons, would be good for him to be involved more with the first team for his development.

I'm not sure, he's abit smaller then Anichebe.

I think he will be released soon.

I can see agard actually making the step up this season. He has just won the most prestigious of our academy awards and most definitely has the head for the game. Fingers crossed.

The likes of Agard are not ready.

Someone like Kissock will be more involved i think. The loan spell to Gretna was more or less to see what the lad was made of in a league where tackles are flying in all the time and see how he dealt with it.

I was hoping Kissock would get a mention. Whilst the quality of the SPL might not be much, the physical side is the equal of the PL, and he seemed to cope ok with that side of the game.

At the moment no one looks like there ready. Baxter is a very talented player technically but he lacks he physical attributes the likes of Vaughan and Rooney had at that age.

Agard is pacy and a decent finisher but he's not the biggest either neither is he technically ready. If Moyes fancied either they'd have been on the bench near the end of the season when we had no strikers.

Only Rodwell and maybe Gosling have a chance at the moment. I have doubts whether Kissock will ever make it.

In the Maik Taylor rumour thread it got me thinking about experience of our young players. Below is a list of some complete with how many senior games they've played.

Turner 54 games
Ruddy 82
Gosling 22
Lukas 41
Kissock 11
Spencer 3
Rodwell 2

The last two are stretching it a bit but we've got five young lads there with a decent amount of first team experience at various levels. You would think that any barrier to promotion now is purely one of quality rather than experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.