Big Dunc's Ice-Bucket Challenge for ALS awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

So that's who Martin "Taylor" is. No wonder Wikipedia turned up no one relevant.

Makes it even more excellent.

How much have you given to charity this year mate?

This is a virally marketing campaign that plays on people's inherent narcissism to get them to spread the word about something good! Obviously you can poke holes in it, question their motives, argue that there are better causes etc etc. At the end of the day we are closer to a cure for ALS then we were before all because someone was clever enough to figure out a way to spread awareness.

Many charities spend millions on ad campaigns and galas for wealthy donors, this is free publicity which is brilliant! The word is getting out and charitable dollars aren't being wasted on ad campaigns.

It's a bit cringeworthy but its not as if people will be any less narcissistic without these sorts of things.

Do you think that the families of people suffering from ALS care about their motives in dumping buckets of water on their heads?
I think a lot of it is getting missed. We in the UK call it Motor Neurone disease. I had no idea ALS was the same thing.

I saw my best friends mum get diagnosed with MND and within 4 years her final muscles pumping her lungs gave up and she died. I will be amazed if they ever cure it.

Awareness is good but I don't think people will donate more unfortunately..

I think a lot of it is getting missed. We in the UK call it Motor Neurone disease. I had no idea ALS was the same thing.

I saw my best friends mum get diagnosed with MND and within 4 years her final muscles pumping her lungs gave up and she died. I will be amazed if they ever cure it.

Awareness is good but I don't think people will donate more unfortunately..
Over 25m has been raised in one month. I think people are donating more. The 25m is more than the charity has made in years.

It's for a good cause and it's a bit of fun. It's raising awareness and it's getting a lot of people on board and together which not many things can do now days.

Status
Not open for further replies.