Be honest we have a great squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTblue

Player Valuation: £30m
Just considering what is our best starting line-up and how well balanced it is with a mixture of top-level experience, exciting youth and general quality and then beyond that, the options are plentiful on the bench, when you start to put a team together and see this, you can't help but get excited.

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Mirallas McCarthy Barry Pienaar
Barkley
Lukaku
subs: Robles, Alcaraz, Deulofeu, Gibson, Osman, Kone, Jelavic
squaddies beyond that: Naismith, Stones, Heitinga, Gueye, Vellios, Hibbert.

This is as strong and well balanced we have been in a very long time. If pitch reflects paper and Martinez can sort out the final 3rd (I think Lukaku and Kone will adapt to the team and provide a real cutting edge that will stretch teams here anyway). Then I don't see why we can't push for fourth along with the likes of spurs, Arsenal and RS. Some will cite Ozil pushing Arsenal on but I see Barkley with the potential to be as good or better in that position. He's as exciting a talent as Gotze or Thiago. I know my optimism will now get blasted down by most on here and that Lukaku is only temporary but for this season I don't fear any team we play in this division, with that squad fit and together.

Got competition and a manager not stuck on favorites don't be surprised if we get banned for winning everything 12 years running - bstards

Get a look on rawk .....apparently our squad is paper thin and over the hill.... I don't mind other people's opinions usually but they are so full of bitterness and hatred on that site its unbelievable.

Get a look on rawk .....apparently our squad is paper thin and over the hill.... I don't mind other people's opinions usually but they are so full of bitterness and hatred on that site its unbelievable.

Was funny as fook their everton thread on deadline day mate, they were all jokes and laughing until about ten to 11 then as Lukaku and Mccarthy/barry got announced they **** themselves a little bit with some of their none [Poor language removed] posters shooting down all their bellends mouthing off :D

They really are [Poor language removed] on rawk . They call us the bitters yet they still think there top boys because after 3 there top idiots . They are nowhere near title challagers sturridge has hit good form but can't carry it on forever . Suarez will leave and they have failed to replace Gerrard and have a bag of ****e called Lucas . There only promise is mignolet coutinho and maybe sturridge

They really are [Poor language removed] on rawk . They call us the bitters yet they still think there top boys because after 3 there top idiots . They are nowhere near title challagers sturridge has hit good form but can't carry it on forever . Suarez will leave and they have failed to replace Gerrard and have a bag of ****e called Lucas . There only promise is mignolet coutinho and maybe sturridge

Funny if suarez coming back into that team ****s up their form, theirs a history of getting way better results whens hes out lol, coutinho im hoping will do a jelavich soon after a promising start go to utter dog turd, sturridge seems to get a lot of little knocks, overall not worried about them this year, keeper aside they didnt really improve over last year

The squad is better but we do need to get better quality depth . We need another young centre back a creative midfielder another winger and when lukaku leaves a proper striker . Dead wood needs to go like Naismith gueye heitinga and jelavic

Funny if suarez coming back into that team ****s up their form, theirs a history of getting way better results whens hes out lol

Yeah I don't think his heart is in it for them anymore . He won't have the season he had last year and I can see them getting less money for him than offered this year but he will leave that's for sure

I feel much better about the squad now than I did before the deadline day madness.

Even though it's only a loan, Lukaku is such a good signing. I can't wait to see him live.

The moment you see on RAWK detailed posts talking about our squad, analyzing our positions one by one, talking about the age and trying to conclude that they have a better squad, at that moment you know we have a very good squad and they are sh|ting themselves

Here is that squad

GOALKEEPERS AGE

Tim Howard 34
Joel Robles 23
Mason Springthorpe 19

DEFENDERS

Tony Hibbert 32
Leighton Baines 28
John Heitinga 29 (30 in November)
Phil Jagielka 31
Sylvain Distin 36
Seamus Coleman 25
John Stones 19
Antolin Alcaraz 31
Shane Duffy 21

MIDFIELDERS

Darron Gibson 26
Bryan Oviedo 23
James McCarthy 22
Gareth Barry (loan) 32
Ross Barkley 19
Leon Osman 32
Steven Pienaar 31
Francisco Junior (loan) 21
Matthew Kennedy 19

FORWARDS

Nikica Jelavić 28
Arouna Kone 29 (30 in November)
Kevin Mirallas 25
Steven Naismith 27
Gerard Deulofeu (loan) 19
Romelu Lukaku (loan) 20
Magaye Gueye 23
Apostolos Vellios 21
Conor McAleny 21

Some interesting things to note:

Average age is 26... which sounds fine until you realise the following..

Of the 30 players named, 8 are over 30. 2 more will be 30 by November. So a third of their squad are over the hill and will need replacing in the next few years.

There are 5 teenagers

A further 9 are 20-23.

Only 6 would be considered at their peak.

Essentially their squad is one of extremes, a lot of unproven youth and a lot of aging players.

Their first team squad also had four loan players in it, including arguably their two best players.

Their backline is particularly scary, 5 players are 30 years old (or will be in a few weeks) and only two players in their prime, Coleman and Baines. Even Baines is 29 in a few months (should have sold him this year I reckon). That means a lot more likelihood of debilitating injuries.

In midfield, two key players (Pienaar and Osman) are also 32, leaving a lot of pressure on new boy (22 year old McCarthy) to fill the gap left by Felaini

Up front a lot will be required of the 20 year old Lukaku and 19 year old Deulofeu... that's quite a burde for a full season... altenatively perhaps Kone and Jelavic will exit their current slump to drag the team onwards from relegation.

To be perfectly honest, I think their squad is paper thin, replete with filler and geared towards the short term, not long. I think their policy of "sell our best player every year to service unending debt" is particularly stupid and fraught with peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.