Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that it's being killed by money. Not the cost of the ticket, but by the money in the game. It's hard to get excited about something when at the back of your mind you know that if you can't buy success, then you're unlikely to ever get it.

Nah, nothing to do with it, on the day at the match, you're not sat that thinking about the fiscal imbalance in the PL....

It's been [Poor language removed] since it went all seater, it only ever really gets going when United or the RS turn up, them aside only a good narky injustice gets the place really rocking.

I guess it doesn't help that a lot of the guys who have season tickets in the st end have had them since it went all seater. Now there older they arnt as willing to sing in the smaller games

People might disagree with me here but there was too many kids at the game today. There was four of them in front of me, they couldn't keep still, jumping around, playing with toys, playing on the iPad, they were clearly uninterested in the game and I know the club do a great incentive for young children to get them into the game but some are too young and not bothered about what is going on. They left early anyway, thank god.

There's only so much atmosphere you can get in a Sunday 1.30 kick off. You can get it better of course, but you do need to have lower expectations.

I dont think you can say that. Chelsea & Liverpool games this year were great atmosphere wise, City last year the same. Personally I think at home the better the opposition the more we raise our game - on and off the pitch.

Yes, because they are one off occasions, "mini cup finals" as it were like the derby, where the potential of an upset over 90 minutes spurs you on. Problem with a, say, Crystal Palace at home, is that there's a feeling that it just doesn't really matter.

Conversely, the "top" clubs are increasingly soulless too due to the way they've bought a winning scratchcard to win the trophies.

Today could be largely explained away by the Sunday kick off and the dire first half like.

People might disagree with me here but there was too many kids at the game today. There was four of them in front of me, they couldn't keep still, jumping around, playing with toys, playing on the iPad, they were clearly uninterested in the game and I know the club do a great incentive for young children to get them into the game but some are too young and not bothered about what is going on. They left early anyway, thank god.

There's a place reserved for you over here http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/the-oldies-thread.49218/page-71 mate

The point about seats has some validity but it's not as simple as "seats versus standing". In olden days everyone in the Gwladys stood. If you fancied singing and making a noise you gravitated towards like minded folks. You didn't have a seat number, so you just moved. As you got older, and grumpier you moved to less boisterous areas, it was a natural progression.

Now though, people with ST's sit in the same seat of years and won't think of moving, so, though the younger lids still tend to congregate, it's not as natural. So maybe now, it needs a push ? It doesn't have to be contrived, but if people want to make an unofficial singing area by sitting closer together, then let them have a go. If it works great, if not, no harm done.

There's a place reserved for you over here http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/the-oldies-thread.49218/page-71 mate

The point about seats has some validity but it's not as simple as "seats versus standing". In olden days everyone in the Gwladys stood. If you fancied singing and making a noise you gravitated towards like minded folks. You didn't have a seat number, so you just moved. As you got older, and grumpier you moved to less boisterous areas, it was a natural progression.

Now though, people with ST's sit in the same seat of years and won't think of moving, so, though the younger lids still tend to congregate, it's not as natural. So maybe now, it needs a push ? It doesn't have to be contrived, but if people want to make an unofficial singing area by sitting closer together, then let them have a go. If it works great, if not, no harm done.
You're right it's not just about the boisterous ones getting together it's when the boisterous ones have been there a few years and have mellowed, most won't move, so after a few years it will start to die off. I can't think of a way round that. Maybe in that area you don't have an automatic renewal option on your seat perhaps?

You're right it's not just about the boisterous ones getting together it's when the boisterous ones have been there a few years and have mellowed, most won't move, so after a few years it will start to die off. I can't think of a way round that. Maybe in that area you don't have an automatic renewal option on your seat perhaps?

No mate. It's up to the younger ones, who want to sing, to ignore their elders and "betters" and just get on with it. All part of life's rich tapestry and all that. The internet's a wonderful thing, but it can easily end up in people just sounding off and blaming everyone .... except themselves ;)

And that was from the travelling Villa fans who only had the lower away area as they couldn't sell all their tickets!

I remember speaking to a Sunderland fan who came to Goodison this season on 26th December and he said that the reason that Sunderland didn't want the Upper was because Everton were charging £40 a ticket on Boxing day which is quite ridiculous really.

Status
Not open for further replies.