Are you a still a football fan or solely an Evertonian these days?

Oh man, Trap was a nightmare. O Neil not much better. Every press conference taliking about what we no longer have compared to our better eras :rant:
Trapattoni and O'Neill did well to get limited teams into both Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 respectively imo.

We weren't exactly effing Brazil 1970 under Big Jack either! That Euro 2012 tournament under Trap was embarrassing though!

I think Evertonian, mostly because of a genetic/social contract that can never be broken. However, I can’t pretend like I’m not excited about the Euros, and despite the odious backdrop I still thoroughly enjoyed the last World Cup.

I can’t escape the fact that our club has treated all of us appallingly for a very long time, so I don’t know if I don’t like football as much by extension of being absolutely disgusted at my own club.

What a recipe for disaster it is though to watch your own club dying before your eyes mixed in with the Frankenstein’s monster of modern day footy.

The game is ran by snakes like the PL and UEFA, presented by hideous cretins like Sky and TNT, managed by freaks like Klopp and Guardiola and played by mutants like Mbappe and Van Dijk.

What no poll?

I don't care about any anymore just Everton. After their statement in response to the points decision and the way they have been the last couple of years the club disgust me even more. I'm beginning to think what ever the punishment, you know what, we deserve it - sorry they (the Club) deserve it.

used to love watching the old First Division but had no affiliation to any particular club, at school had a classmate who just wouldn't stop boasting about the [poor language removed] Anfield Reds
along comes King Andy with that screaming winner in the 1978 derby and cue instant lifelong Toffee head here, for good or bad, through torture and frustration, through joy and despair, being put through the proverbial wringer so many times that only Everton FC can subject their fans to.
my loyalty to them will never cease because its the only way we've become accustomed to and deep down we love em
that classmate later became my workmate and he seldom relented about the RS and is a major reason why I despise them [Thanks Tony]

hate the EPL for all the obvious reasons already stated, haven't watched Match of the Day in almost 30 years, International football generally bores me to tears, would occasionally watch highlights of Bundesliga matches

would watch many types of sports including Union and League Rugby, 7's rugby, Ice Hockey, Tennis, high profile Athletics, Hurling, Aussie Rules, Women's volleyball

getting back to original thread question, am just an Everton supporter and at best a very very lukewarm football follower

I don't watch any football anymore apart from Everton matches. And even then, I don't clear out my schedule like I used to just to watch them. If the missus has other plans for me on any given weekend, I don't check the match time. Football has become very boring to me, I sort of wished the 6 teams effed off and made their Super League to see if the remaining teams could form something interesting and competitive. As I got more and more into the NFL, I realised what an actually compelling and dramatic sport looks like and football looks fairly crap in comparison. Last year was also the first year in my life since 1986 (when I was one years old) that I didn't watch the World Cup

The sooner the likes of the rs, both Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and possibly the geordies as well, bugger off and form their super league the better imo.

Perhaps with the scab elite clubs out of the equation then we might have a more open and more fair and balanced playing field.
I probably sound defeatist but I tend to agree.
If its a toss up between trying to win trophies in a league set up for us to fail and being miserable or in a new league where you would enjoy an equal chance of winning something I'd take the latter.
Imagine a bouncing brand new stadium playing say Villa Leeds or Newcastle I think I could get to enjoy footie again.

Football fan.
Always check out the local teams fairing, be that marine,tranmere, Southport or Aberdeen, Cove ,Peterhead and Arbroath.
In fact if I work with fans of lesser clubs I check the scores.Morton,Falkirk, Rangers*, Celtic etc...
*More decent Rangers than Celtic tbh...

Love to watch foreign football, seems much more pure and about the actualy footy on the pitch.

Watch some semi-pro.

*Can't stand watching prem, its a WWE-like farce.

*I do enjoy watching City - the best football we have ever had in this country, just best on mute.
Forgive me for taking issue with this, City are indeed a wonderful team on form, but in my lifetime I have seen several teams who played fantastic football at times when the top flight was more competitive than it is now.

Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea, (even Everton although a very long time ago) have produced sides which played fast, exhilarating, intelligent and stylish football. I know people will say you can't compare with the speed and power of the modern game but I have never been fully persuaded about that. Many of those teams would still be far more competitive than half the of the modern PL.

It is true that the only games I have truly enjoyed watching this year have involved City in the FA Cup, and I love some of their players, De Bruyne and Foden are probably my favourites.

Anyway, back on topic, Everton first and don't bother with the PL at all nowadays for all of the reasons already set out in the thread.

Forgive me for taking issue with this, City are indeed a wonderful team on form, but in my lifetime I have seen several teams who played fantastic football at times when the top flight was more competitive than it is now.

Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Chelsea, (even Everton although a very long time ago) have produced sides which played fast, exhilarating, intelligent and stylish football. I know people will say you can't compare with the speed and power of the modern game but I have never been fully persuaded about that. Many of those teams would still be far more competitive than half the of the modern PL.

It is true that the only games I have truly enjoyed watching this year have involved City in the FA Cup, and I love some of their players, De Bruyne and Foden are probably my favourites.

Anyway, back on topic, Everton first and don't bother with the PL at all nowadays for all of the reasons already set out in the thread.

Ovcourse its all subjective, and many many teams have played great football.

I beleive that what Pep is serving up has never been seen before in England, its very unique syyle and way or playing - Thats why I enjoy it so much.

Ovcourse its all subjective, and many many teams have played great football.

I beleive that what Pep is serving up has never been seen before in England, its very unique syyle and way or playing - Thats why I enjoy it so much.
Fair do's, I respect your point of view and they are mostly great to watch, but I also find their possession football can be tedious and lacking in spark at times.

Obviously I have no idea how old you are, but I am quite long in the tooth and maybe there is a touch of nostalgia in my thinking, but I have seen teams which blew away norms in their day just as City are doing now. Perhaps I am just sick of the hype that surrounds the modern game and the "best ever" tag which seems to be in vogue, especially over the park.

Fair do's, I respect your point of view and they are mostly great to watch, but I also find their possession football can be tedious and lacking in spark at times.

Obviously I have no idea how old you are, but I am quite long in the tooth and maybe there is a touch of nostalgia in my thinking, but I have seen teams which blew away norms in their day just as City are doing now. Perhaps I am just sick of the hype that surrounds the modern game and the "best ever" tag which seems to be in vogue, especially over the park.

See what you are saying mate, I do. Im in my 40's, so seen plenty of teams, and watch lots of Euro fooball over the decades.

Plenty of great teams have destroyed teams over the years, but none have had full backs in the middle, or had a centre back playing as a centre mid/deep lying play-maker, or have the keeper come and play out as an extra player, its very unique positionally / tachtically to us in England.

He has also won the first EVER domestic treble.

He is doing things we have never seen in England.

See what you are saying mate, I do. Im in my 40's, so seen plenty of teams, and watch lots of Euro fooball over the decades.

Plenty of great teams have destroyed teams over the years, but none have had full backs in the middle, or had a centre back playing as a centre mid/deep lying play-maker, or have the keeper come and play out as an extra player, its very unique positionally / tachtically to us in England.

He has also won the first EVER domestic treble.

He is doing things we have never seen in England.
Happy to acknowledge his innovations and tactical nous, but using versatile players in different roles is nothing new.

The issue for me is whether it is the best football we have ever seen, and as you say that is very subjective. I simply don't think this is the best football I have ever seen in this country. I feel I have been just as entertained by other great teams of the past, and obviously we can't know how this City team might have fared against them.

They didn't exactly cover themselves in glory for the Luton goals last night, and that vulnerability is not a one-off, which is why there is still a high chance that Liverpool or Arsenal could pip them to the league title.