Are we in worse shape than 1994/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total shambles
Worst ever
I'm 54 seen some rubbish over the years but this is worse than anything I can recall
It's just relentless
The empty seats last night and the players looking around to blame others
It's them

The worst I can remember. In the 90s we were poor but had guts. Now most of the squad are gutless mercenaries, and the squad has holes all over it. Then you have the incomptence from the top it's a toxic mix. I'm just hoping we can scrape as many points as we can until the injured players come back and we can buy a few in Jan. Also get a flipping manager you gang of weapons!

Similar age and totally agree. All, and I mean ALL the players Koeman brought in should not have been sanctioned. If Walsh was involved show him the door too.
Ask yourself this...Are we a better team than Villa were last season? If you think not or can't decide... that's how bad we are.
Needs some serious changes or we will go down
Lets Take a Look

Aston Villas best result in that season might have been the 2-0 win over Norwich in February There line up was

Bunn
Richards
Lescott
Okore
Cissokho
Gueye
Bacuna
Westwood
Veretout
Gil
Agbanlahor

How many of those players would pick ahead of our line up right now?

The knee jerkers will say yes and make it out to be far worse than it is. Like we have absolutely no hope.

But even as a normally positive supporter i'd say in the short term it's comparable to 1994-95, possibly more worrying given that we have few battlers and leaders in the team. However unlike 94-95, we have the resources to be able to put things right in the coming seasons and could easily be in the top 10 consistently at the minimum from next season if we get it right in the Summer. We never had that chance back then and that showed with poor finishes between 1996-2002.

Despite the start of that season we had a couple of winners and a bit of fight in that team. Once we got Royle in the results were fine - though we were playing catch up all season.

I see very little fight in this squad. There are plenty of players who have been long term captain's for club and country whose head's drop at the first hint of pressure in a game. We have players who look good when things are going their way but who are consistently passive and out fought by opposition with less ability.

We basically need a completely new back four in January and a proven goal scorer. Given are current plight and amateurish looking club hierarchy we are going to get absolutely fleeced during the next transfer window. So I just hope the players brought in have something about them mentality and skill wise, given our transfer history I don't expect desperately needed signings being brought in until the end of the window, as it seemingly the Everton way.

It's a fair comparison

That team was devoid of a lot of quality - only Limpar and Stuart who were in the 1st team picture had any real creativity at all. What it did have, though, was a lot of characters - Southall, Watson, Parkinson, Horne, Ferguson

We have, on paper at the moment, far more quality, but I think we lack the leaders to drag us through

Can anybody remember how many points we had at Christmas 1994-95, I remember we were crap until we beat Ipswich 4-1 ?????
Think still in bottom four I remember sheff wed beating us on Boxing Day think the good run and winning the cup kept us up we no leaders Just shirkers baningame showed what we need

Lets Take a Look

Aston Villas best result in that season might have been the 2-0 win over Norwich in February There line up was

Bunn
Richards
Lescott
Okore
Cissokho
Gueye
Bacuna
Westwood
Veretout
Gil
Agbanlahor

How many of those players would pick ahead of our line up right now?

The parallels between Lescott and Williams are frighteningly similar.

If someone can get a group of 11 men out there and make them play as a team, then no we're not worse than 94/95. Some of the players we have are far from being as good as their price tags, others are past it, and others are going to have to put in a shift in a position they aren't quite able to fulfill properly because we do have large gaps in quality in several areas.

But if...and it's a big if...someone can get a team together who play with conviction and as a unit, then we are still a mid-table team at the very least.

If that can't be done, and I doubt Unsworth can do it, then yes, we are in much worse trouble.

We got 9 points from the first 14 games - the JR took over and won his first 3 (including the derby).

So we were worse then, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.