Are we in worse shape than 1994/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...everywhere you look within the club you see a complete lack of leadership and ownership off and on the pitch.
It will get better but it starts at the top and works it way down....

I am 53 so seen the good times and unfortunately was on the lower Gwladys street when the Mike Walker, Walter Smith and Kendall mk2/3 days were around. At the moment we are worse, the worrying thing is it's all over the pitch and not in just one position. We are a complete and utter shambles and are playing the worse football I have seen for many years.

I'm really worried. At least in 1994 we had the likes of Southall, Waggy, Ablett, Ferguson, Limpar, Hinchcliffe, and Rideout who just needed a new lease of life and a game plan. We've got none of that right now

I think you answered it yourself there by naming those players.

I am 53 so seen the good times and unfortunately was on the lower Gwladys street when the Mike Walker, Walter Smith and Kendall mk2/3 days were around. At the moment we are worse, the worrying thing is it's all over the pitch and not in just one position. We are a complete and utter shambles and are playing the worse football I have seen for many years.

Similar age and totally agree. All, and I mean ALL the players Koeman brought in should not have been sanctioned. If Walsh was involved show him the door too.
Ask yourself this...Are we a better team than Villa were last season? If you think not or can't decide... that's how bad we are.
Needs some serious changes or we will go down

Probably, because a new manager couldn't turn it around. However that depends if you think unsy is a manager or not... :Blink:

We get a decent striker and defender in Jan with Coleman and Bolasie coming back we should be ok, but it's dangerous when no one seems to want to take responsibility in the team and we have to integrate at least 4 new players at once.

+1

And you forgot to add Unsie's name to that list of quality players.

Is he to fall victim to revisionism for stepping up to try and sort Koeman and Walsh's disastrous transfer policy out :blush:

?????

He didn't. Unsworth was an honest, Everton supporting player but very very limited. He got into that side at the time because we were so poor.

There's a weird revisionism around him.

Oh yes. We had fight and leaders back then, we were just crap. Now we aren't only crap but spineless all over the pitch and have no leaders to rally the troops. The 94-95 side would of easily beaten this current side.

Yeah, I'd say we're worse
definitely, the biggest difference being that the club as a whole had some fight, the players found the will to show a bit of fight when we really needed it, I think that was driven by the fans who always came together at times like this and got behind the team, (especially at Goodison), the most alarming part of all this is that the demographic of the people who turn up at GP has changed a lot over the last 20 years and a consequence of that is the apathy in the stadium and the acceptance of the current shambolic management of the club. I don't think we have ever been as far behind the leading lights of English football and it looks like no one believes we can compete anywhere on or off the pitch.
The simple truth is we have forgotten how to be Everton, I cant really explain that but I am sure we all know what it means.
we kind of need to strip away all of the bullshit and get back to our roots.
The Championship may be the best place to start that process because it looks like that is where we are heading.

When you think of the money we spent on the new manager,the investment in players at the start of the season,plans for the new stadium, our hopes for this season built up around us, we could potentially take the next step up to compete regularly for silverware, now look at us ,I don't see where our next win is coming from, our star signings have totally capitulated, the old reliable heads are now too old and being found out spectacularly,we are a laughing stock, we can't even bully Watford into handing over their manager who, at the moment could potentially be another disaster if we got him, and we've been linked with Alardyce what the feck? back in the 90's we never had those expectations that's why the FA cup win was so sweet and that's why it's worse now, then the only way was up, now I feel we can we could spiral further down unless extreme action is taken immediately.

It's not even comparable. The current shower aren't fit to lace the boots of one of the few teams that nearly took us down.
Draw your own conclusions.

Hard to draw any positives right now. I still think we'll improve in the new year, but by christ have things been super grim recently..

The players we have now are better than the players we had then, not that you would know it.
That's simultaneously the really frightening thing AND the one thing that gives me hope.

Yes the squad is really unbalanced, but it's a talented group of players for the most part. The logical part of my brain says they can't possibly KEEP performing this way and that a decent manager (if we can get one in) would get a tune out of them.

Wish the logical part of my brain would tell my guts that though.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.