Southampton v Everton. 20th Dec at 15.00.

What do you want for Chrimbo this year?

• Millenium Falcon

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Adidas Kick

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Operation Board Game

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • An Everton win

Votes: 186 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hope all 11 get their weeks wages docked and the money donated to all the fans who made the trip - performance was not worthy of everton football club, especially given what we were up against and what's gone on over the whole season.

people spend a lot of money to follow their club and i bet for a lot of them christmas provides extra strain, show some common sense everton and get those lousy overpaid beauts to give something back to them when you perform your duty at such a low level.

What has happened to Coleman?...he's terrible. Baines needs to be dropped. Barry needs to be dropped. Howard, Jagielka and Distin are pub footballers. Lukaku needs to be benched. Eto'o, Naismith and Barkley are all at sea.

And I bet Martinez plays the same team next up.

I said it in a previous post: Martinez is an ideologue, not a pragmatist.

He had better hope that we do well in the Europa...similar to Rodgers
I know we've gone from the most solid back 4 with the 2 best attacking fullbacks to an absolute joke defence.

That said we aren't playing well going anywhere.

I think the realisation needs to set in now that Jags and Distin aren't up to the persistent passing rote that RM has employed. Theres no use making 4/5 dainty sideways passes...then when an opponent hones in, its either a panic boot to anyone including Howard, or even worse possession lost to the opposition via a wayward pass. Ive rated both highly in their time with us, and Im not generally a whinger about us in public, but its unnerving the times they look petrified in possession. Were also in the unfortunate position that our full backs are a shadow of their former selves at present....think maybe Coleman's injury knocked him back a bit...but don't know what the hells wrong with Baines. We cant afford wholesale changes at the moment, but maybe competition by inclusion from one of our young talents could up the ante with the present mix defence-wise because its looking jaded, worn and very fragile to say the least. Pass the F/Grouse...its gonna be a bumpy night.
I think it's time to play at least 2 of Browning, Stones and Garbutt. All of them look more comfortable on the ball and frankly they can't defend any worse.

Fact is look at the comments on here soon as that team news was announced, the majority of the fans knew what was coming before it even did.

So question for all the fans who peddle the "manager knows best" crap why can't martinez see this? The man earning more in a week than we all earn in a year
It does make you wonder. There must be a lot of "office politics" that has to be taken into account. It's the only thing I can imagine.

eg
Calming down a bit now mate, but did you think it was all about the set up? Everyone seemed in each others way at times, so would a more "usual" set up, with Aids and SP/Atsu, Besic and Barry, with Ross playing behind Rom have made a difference? Granted, none of those wingers are pulling up any trees lately. @Eggs

....he has a team model, Roydo but when he deviates from it we struggle. My worry is that he stumbled on success in respect of the talent we had down the flanks. More specifically, full backs getting around the back. Today was a real worry in that we created nothing.

If RM hasn't got a plan B then I'd prefer him to keep to his team shape, we shouldn't put square pegs in round holes. Be brave, don't play Barkley out wide with a remit to come inside. When the team was announced it was confusing who would play where. Just a mess really.

hope all 11 get their weeks wages docked and the money donated to all the fans who made the trip - performance was not worthy of everton football club, especially given what we were up against and what's gone on over the whole season.

people spend a lot of money to follow their club and i bet for a lot of them christmas provides extra strain, show some common sense everton and get those lousy overpaid beauts to give something back to them when you perform your duty at such a low level.

Martinez is too nicey nice to do anything like that though.

I honestly hope Martinez doesn't say the same things in the dressing room as he does in his interviews.

If he tells the players they played well after performances like that then it's no wonder they've got no fight in them.

eg

....he has a team model, Roydo but when he deviates from it we struggle. My worry is that he stumbled on success in respect of the talent we had down the flanks. More specifically, full backs getting around the back. Today was a real worry in that we created nothing.

If RM hasn't got a plan B then I'd prefer him to keep to his team shape, we shouldn't put square pegs in round holes. Be brave, don't play Barkley out wide with a remit to come inside. When the team was announced it was confusing who would play where. Just a mess really.

What I thought mate. But that being said, I wasnt starting petitions for Atsu nor McCready either!

Even though the reaction is justified and understandable given the lack of performance today, but those calling for Martinez's head need to get some perspective. I've been the first one to bemoan Martinez's team selections and his inability to change formation but to actively want him out after our first real bad run under Martinez is a step too far, albeit he was always going to come under pressure after these performances and being far too stubborn with plans that didn't work. However, look at all the past seasons where we had started much worse than this and gone on to mount a challenge, the season isn't over in December, the table isn't decided until May. We need a serious turnaround and I pray that it does happen but the best thing to do is to try and help the team out of this dip in form. Going to the match and booing will never be the answer, the team is surely lacking in confidence and creating a hostile atmosphere for our own players and not the opposition is exactly what the players won't need. Moan all you want about this performance against Southampton because the manager and squad deserve it, after the game. But I don't think anyone should go to Goodison on Friday with the intention to do anything but support the team. It's a bit embarrassing that our great club is descending into madness after a poor run, every team goes through it. We'll be back, he'll sort it out sooner or later.

Playing 6 midfielders didnt help.
What went wrong..

1,We didn't create enough chances because Mirallas didn't play.
2,The Baines and Peanuts partnership on the left that used to bring us bus load of goals has completely vanished!
3,Lukaku last season had Morinio to impress but we spent 28m thinking he would be that same player we saw last season ..all he does now is trip over his feet or give the ball away.
4,I have a feeling most teams have our system worked out and Martinez refuses to have a plan b ..even if it leads to relegation (God help us!)
5,Shamus Coleman isn't doing what he did over the last few seasons in taking on a few players on the right and then whipping the ball into the box.
+we badly miss Gerard Deulofeu and his fearlessness on that right side.
6,Howard as much as i highly rate him sometimes makes decisions you would expect a drunk man to make..with his arms falling about as he goes backwards flying into the net...you know in the same way you make your friends goal look better than it actually is by jumping here and there as it goes in.

In January we need 2 more Kanchelskis/Marallas type players who will create (that reminds me where was Mcready today ..did Roy Keane have a word in Robertos ear to drop him?)

We need to sell Lakaku for 15 million which is the best we will get for him and instead look to buy unpolished gems from Spain and Italy ..those currently sitting on Barcelona's b team where Deulofeu was found (Roberto also has good connections there which should help)

I could be wrong with what I have said but every time I have watched us play recently I get the same thoughts running through my mind!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.