Southampton v Everton. 20th Dec at 15.00.

What do you want for Chrimbo this year?

• Millenium Falcon

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Adidas Kick

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Operation Board Game

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • An Everton win

Votes: 186 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez said: “The most disappointing thing was the way we defended our box. We were a little bit soft and were undone by three balls that went into the six-yard box.

“We are to blame for the defeat because we didn’t defend any simple ball into the box well. Our record shows that we are normally a lot better in that respect and that is where we lost the game.

“The second half we started with a good mentality and we had Southampton where we wanted them. All they wanted to do was work on the counter-attack.

“But it was disappointing to concede three goals the way we did. Clearly it was a day when nothing went in our favour because even when we created opportunities we never hit the back of the net. The difference between the two sides was in the boxes.”

Martinez also explained why he did not make any substitutions during the game.

He added: “I did feel that the team was the right one to get back into the game. I wanted the players to show the right intention to get back into the game.

“I never felt that we were outplayed - it was a matter of the way we defended our 18-yard box rather than any tactical aspect.”

...one comment repeated - I don't like getting beat but I don't like getting beat when we don't create. If we go somewhere and give it a real good go and miss a few chances I don't mind so much.

Today was awful. Insipid and weak. As I say, we can get beat but I want us to have a go and create. Today indicated we are a mid-table team.

Today as well as many of our home results this season.

Was Barkley on the wing AGAIN?? You are kidding me. When I saw the line up I was hoping it was a diamond of

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
Barry
Barkley Besic
Naismith
Eto'o Lukaku
But guessing it was 4-2-3-1 with players out of position? What a joke.

Martinez said: “The most disappointing thing was the way we defended our box. We were a little bit soft and were undone by three balls that went into the six-yard box.

“We are to blame for the defeat because we didn’t defend any simple ball into the box well. Our record shows that we are normally a lot better in that respect and that is where we lost the game.

“The second half we started with a good mentality and we had Southampton where we wanted them. All they wanted to do was work on the counter-attack.

“But it was disappointing to concede three goals the way we did. Clearly it was a day when nothing went in our favour because even when we created opportunities we never hit the back of the net. The difference between the two sides was in the boxes.”

Martinez also explained why he did not make any substitutions during the game.

He added: “I did feel that the team was the right one to get back into the game. I wanted the players to show the right intention to get back into the game.

“I never felt that we were outplayed - it was a matter of the way we defended our 18-yard box rather than any tactical aspect.”

...the most disappointing thing was that we didn't create and take the game to them. The game is also about scoring and winning. Square pegs, round holes - team balance.

There is always a time and a place to be positive, and that is all well and good,but Martinez is convincing himself way to much in been positive about quite a few games etc,and saying he thought it was the right team,no subs were needed etc as he though we might get bk into game etc-rarely says anything bad about a bad performance,that is if he ever has,cannot remember

...one comment repeated - I don't like getting beat but I don't like getting beat when we don't create. If we go somewhere and give it a real good go and miss a few chances I don't mind so much.

Today was awful. Insipid and weak. As I say, we can get beat but I want us to have a go and create. Today indicated we are a mid-table team.

Calming down a bit now mate, but did you think it was all about the set up? Everyone seemed in each others way at times, so would a more "usual" set up, with Aids and SP/Atsu, Besic and Barry, with Ross playing behind Rom have made a difference? Granted, none of those wingers are pulling up any trees lately. @Eggs

He could be saying that to protect the players and save them by taking all the flack with his mental comments I suppose. Hope to god this has taught him something though.

Calming down a bit now mate, but did you think it was all about the set up? Everyone seemed in each others way at times, so would a more "usual" set up, with Aids and SP/Atsu, Besic and Barry, with Ross playing behind Rom have made a difference? Granted, none of those wingers are pulling up any trees lately. @Eggs
He needs to stop picking the best players and pick the best team I think.

Southampton reserves/youth 3, everton 0 !!! How any player who hasn't scored for an age, a team who hasn't won for months , must rub there hands in glee when we are next up on the fixture list , and also teams who are unbeaten , what a soft shower of fookin sh- te we are are ? Absolute disgrace .

Fact is look at the comments on here soon as that team news was announced, the majority of the fans knew what was coming before it even did.

So question for all the fans who peddle the "manager knows best" crap why can't martinez see this? The man earning more in a week than we all earn in a year

Status
Not open for further replies.